Goblin Valley vandalism

gertsch

That was not the boy scouts of America way. Apparently they don't understand leave no trace. I am an assistant scout master for 11 year olds and that was my very first lesson I taught and drilled into the boys head. Leave to trace and tread lightly. The men in the video are poor representatives of the scouting program and teachers for the hunger generation. They should get huge fine community service and have to learn and teach all scouts for the rest of there lives on the true meaning of "leave No Trace"! Plus get junk punched and man cards taken away.

blznnp

you are miss reading everything o am saying wrong. Probably my fault. I am in the young mens presidency. It drives me nuts when people do stupid, illegal, and un ethical things. Then when get caught look to the church for help and support. Like the people who speed and get caught then pull out their recomend to get off. Stand up for what you did wrong and accept it
oh no, I understand. Maybe my reply isn't coming through right. Although I did miss read your first post so my fault. It drives me crazy to, being in the young mens presidency myself, I get to hear about it as well. Haven't heard people using their recommend to get off though, thats just nonsense.

gertsch

It has nothing to do with the lds church or non lds. The point of the matter is they were doing all the stuff the Scouting program teaches you not to do.

ZUKEYPR

You are obviously correct to a point but I can tell you that my origins are from an overwhelmingly Catholic area and I never, ever seen a connection between the church and Boy Scouts. I can also tell you in my business I am tasked with providing Eagle Scout Certificates courtesy of the US Army. I averaged less than a half a dozen per year until I arrived in SLC 20 years ago. I do multiple certificates daily here. When I get the email request there is always without fail a connection with the LDS church, either by address, signature block, or text.

When I arrived my two boys tranferred to a troop here. Within a month I yanked both of them out because the only items they were coming home with were LDS based faith questions and issues. I have nothing whatsoever against the LDS Church, or any of the other 83 major origanized religions, but there should be a disconnect between organized religions and the scouts in solely my opinion.

sixstringsteve

You are obviously correct to a point but I can tell you that my origins are from an overwhelmingly Catholic area and I never, ever seen a connection between the church and Boy Scouts. I can also tell you in my business I am tasked with providing Eagle Scout Certificates courtesy of the US Army. I averaged less than a half a dozen per year until I arrived in SLC 20 years ago. I do multiple certificates daily here. When I get the email request there is always without fail a connection with the LDS church, either by address, signature block, or text.

When I arrived my two boys tranferred to a troop here. Within a month I yanked both of them out because the only items they were coming home with were LDS based faith questions and issues. I have nothing whatsoever against the LDS Church, or any of the other 83 major origanized religions, but there should be a disconnect between organized religions and the scouts in solely my opinion.

I think churches should be able to have their own troop or unit if they desire. I think non-denominational units are going to be 100% focused on scouting, while religious units will try to balance both religion and scouting. I can see why someone seeking a non-denominational experience would be frustrated with a religious-backed unit.

sixstringsteve

It looks like they made it to CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/us/utah-boulder-destroyed/

"We thought we were doing a good deed," Taylor told the affiliate.

But the Emery County attorney or the Utah Attorney General may not agree, said Eugene Swalberg of Utah State Parks.
The men, who were leading a Boy Scout group, "are currently under criminal investigation," he told CNN. "It gives you a pit in your stomach. There seems to be a lot of happiness and joy with the individuals doing this, and it's not right. This is not what you do at a natural scenic area."

UT410

Supporting Member
I don't think this should be an pro/anti LDS thread.

These guys are dolts and don't reflect their religion. They're about as smart as that rock that was pushed over (not meaning to insult the rock :D). There are morons of every faith. In fact, if we could get a few rocks to land on said morons perhaps there'd be a bit more inter-faith civility/agreement.

ZUKEYPR

These guys are dolts and don't reflect their religion. They're about as smart as that rock that was pushed over (not meaning to insult the rock :D). There are morons of every faith. In fact, if we could get a few rocks to land on said morons perhaps there'd be a bit more inter-faith civility/agreement.
True dat

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is an example of poor judgement and it is not limited to LDS scout troops. If the rock was going to fall they should have put up warning signs and notified whoever was in charge. Just look at our government, four wheelers tearing up the landscape and not following the rules, greens using bugs and birds to close off large areas of land to everyone except hikers. All examples of poor judgement.
I have been in just about every scouting position there is over the last 45 years. This includes 20 years not LDS and 25 years with LDS. When any scout troop does something stupid it becomes hot news because they are supposed to know better and if they are LDS this is multiplied 10 times. I have read too many headlines about Scout starts forest fire, Scout lost in mountains, Scout eaten by cougar etc. Thank God that I have also read Scout saves drowning girl, Scout saves family from house fire, Scout gives CPR and saves mans life, etc.
I think the scout leaders on a whole are better in non LDS troops. The main reason being that they want to be there and are not chosen to be there. That said the best scout leaders I have ever known were LDS that wanted to be there after they were chosen.
Where money is concerned I believe the professional scout leaders are overpaid but most of them are knowledgeable and dedicated. LDS troops make up 40% of membership and furnish 60% of the money.
To me the greatest thing scouting does for boys is it gives them examples of life away from the city and opens the door to so many life choices with the merit badge program. As has already been mentioned it also gives them the opportunity to learn how to lead. You may remember that the first 5 or 7 astronauts were Eagle scouts and the Marine corps gives an automatic rank upgrade to recruits out of boot camp.
Do not hold all scouts and scouters responsible for what some do just as we four wheelers should not be held responsible for what some do.

sixstringsteve

As much as I hate the gov't shutdown, it had zero effect on these idiots deciding the push the rock over. These were Utah residents.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder

X2

Rock Taco

Im not saying they didnt do it or that they are not idiots. I think its being made a bigger deal because of the the recent closures. Maybe they are trying to justify the closures and the fact that the states cant take care of their own parks.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

blznnp

I didn't watch the video until last night, only had read about what they did. For it being "ready" to fall, it sure took that guy alot to push it over, an he doesn't look to be around 150lbs. They are receiving death threats from around the world an all types of hate mail now. I would hate see what other things these "leaders" have taught their scouts is ok to do.