Going Propane

STPPINZ

Well, Im going to do it. Ive sold my carbs to pay for the conversion kit and Im going to convert to propane..... to save the environment. Really Im doing it to get rid of those nasty carbs.

Just woundering for those who have converted if there has been any regrets, tips or just any info that it would of been nice to know before you converted.

Thanks

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Never regretted it, just gotta plan ahead on fill ups. I can usually go a full weekend without just one 8 gallon forklift tank on my 1.6

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I am considering propane on my Scout right now and have been doing some research. You will get slighty worse mileage but propane is a lot cheaper. Propane has a 107 octane rating. You also will lose a little bit of power. Propane doesnt have the energy that gas does. It does burn clean so of course the motor is going to run better. If you are rebuilding your motor put some dome pistons in it. If you can raise your compression ratio you will gain your lost power back and then some.

Good luck!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The figures for power & mileage loss are approx. 10%, depending on the shape of the engine.

I don't know about the motor in the Pinz, but propane & boost love each other. :greg: With the high octane rating, propane is an ideal fuel for a turbo. I believe the gas is released at a lower temp too, which would help cool a turbo'd motor.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Why not Natural gas? you get a hook up at your house an last I heard it was Cheaper than Propane

In high school we had a mustang drag car that ran on natural gas. The tanks for natural gas are way expensive. Other than that I think its about the same as propane as far as mileage and power loss.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Why not Natural gas? you get a hook up at your house an last I heard it was Cheaper than Propane

We have a couple dual fuel cars at work....NG is GUTLESS!!!! It also does not provide any lubrication. Our work cars have to run atleast every3rd tank on gas per the mfg. NG is also lower pressure therefore less fuel in tha same size take....and the milage sucks too.

STPPINZ

stock 84 Hp - %10 = slow :)

What have I said all along Jay...It's not about the HP, Kind of like when John told you that size doesn't matter...All the Mog guys say they don't see any loss but maybe that is because they really don't have a lot to begin with. Some swear by some increase. This conversion is very popular in the Mog world. We will see I guess...

The carbs are already sold to a guy in France so no turning back now.

On another thought, has anyone have a good line for Forklift Tanks? And has anyone looked into using a used tank out of an old city truck or car?

Last edited:

Brad J

anyone have a good line for Forklift Tanks? And has anyone looked into using a used tank out of an old city truck or car?

I got mine new for $140(?) from Commercial Propane at about 8800 So. and 300 W(?) its right on the East side of I-15. Travis there has been helping me w/ my conversion. I just need a hose, O-ring and to install a switch, and new coolant hoses and I'm ready to go:greg:

STPPINZ

I got mine new for $140(?) from Commercial Propane at about 8800 So. and 300 W(?) its right on the East side of I-15. Travis there has been helping me w/ my conversion. I just need a hose, O-ring and to install a switch, and new coolant hoses and I'm ready to go:greg:

Was that a used tank or new? Steel or Aluminum? and what size? Thanks