Good shocks for TJ/LJ?

DAA

So I've started window shopping new shocks for my LJ lately. Been running Bilstein 5100's for ten years and can't complain about them. The rears are showing their 90,000 miles under my hiney heavy LJ though. Fronts, really, even after 90K, seem totally fine. Rears are failing the old jounce test pretty badly though and I'm starting to really notice it. The ass on my LJ is heavy as hell and when it starts wallowing around the rest of the Jeep just has to go along.

If I were smart, I'd just leave the fronts alone and replace the rears with the exact same 5100's again, for less than $200 total, and be on my happy way for another 90,000 miles. Honestly, if I wanted to jump through a few hoops, I could probably get them replaced for free - they are a lifetime warranty product.

I'm not smart though... So I'm looking at upgrade opportunities. But, really, there doesn't seem to be much to choose from for a 3" lift with decent up travel?

Falcon Series 3 Piggyback look like the most expensive and most hyped thing out there for the TJ/LJ. I'm attracted to shiny things. So I'm interested. But, I haven't found a single post anywhere by anyone that has actually installed them on a TJ/LJ. Near as I can tell, Teraflex hasn't actually sold a set yet :D. I'm kinda guessing they would be too long for my 3" lift anyway. But Teraflex doesn't list compressed and extended lengths for them anywhere and won't reply to my emails asking about them. They seem pretty indifferent about me as a potential customer. I'm not into spending a kilobuck on shocks from a company that is indifferent to me. I'm still pretty curious about them though. Does anyone even know of anyone that is running Falcons on a TJ/LJ?

Fox makes some that could work. Savvy even has a version supposedly valved for the TJ. Plenty of guys running them. Mixed reviews. Haven't really found much in terms of a heavy LJ running the way I run. They list the specs for them at least, so I know I'd have to give up a little bit of up travel in the rear, which I really do not want to do. The have a crappy one year warranty. I'm not feeling it on the Fox.

Really, the only ones I'm finding that are the right length, that look like an "upgrade" from my old 5100's, are 5160's. Don't seem to be very many of them at all actually being run on TJ/LJ's though? Not to go by what I can find on the internet. Anyone here running 5160's, on anything? How do you like them?

What else should I be considering?

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I know my Jeep is not a LJ, but I had the Fox 2.0 shocks on until recently. I moved up to the Falcon 2.1 shocks and I'm blown away by the performance. My Jeep is also heavy in the rear, and I am surprised at how well the Falcons handle the weight. I don't think the higher model Falcons would gain me much, for my driving preferences.

You might also consider installing Speedbumps on your Jeep as well. They made a big difference in how my Jeep handles the occasional small washout offroad.

DAA

Speedbumps are sexy. They only come in one size and are too long for my LJ with 3" lift and 35's though.

For Falcons on a TJ/LJ, the series 3 looks to be the one and only option. In one length, which is probably too long too?

- DAA

DAA

For the rear, current 5100's are 14" compressed, which I'm able to use all of that - I have it bumpstopped to just stop just barely short of over compressing (and at that point,, tires are just barely, barely kissing factory fender lip). Really, anything longer, and I'm losing up travel there. They are 22.5" extended, spring is still quite firmly seated at full droop now so it could actually make use of more extension if it was there.

So,current 5100's
Compressed - 14
Extended - 22.5
Travel - 8.5

The Savvy/Fox I looked at
Compressed - 15.7
Extended - 25
Travel - 9.3

Gaining les than an inch of total travel but I'd be losing 1.7" of up travel. Which, I think is probably enough that I'd be bottoming out and I'd hate that. Even as worn as the rears are, I almost never bottom out with my bumpstops where they are. For how I run it, I think maintaining that up travel in the rear is a lot more important than gaining any droop.

- DAA

DAA

I tell ya what though... If the TJ/LJ Falcons are two thirds of what guys like Hickey and Greg say the JK ones are, I'm really hoping to find my way into a set.

Kinda looking like that may happen ;).

- DAA

DAA

Oh - should add, finally did get the measurements on the Falcons, they are actually just about perfect. Rears are nearly identical compressed and extended to the 5100's I'm running now. Fronts are an inch shorter compressed, which on the front is a non-issue, have enough bump stop to keep the tires out of the back of the fenders in front I won't miss that inch. But they have 2.5" more droop, which will be good - spring is a long way from unseating at full droop now.

- DAA

Toad

You will have to post a review of these shocks. I have always struggled believing that shocks will give much performance gain. Granted all my rigs have been leaf sprung CJs. I now have a TJ and have wondered if a better shock would gain me anything. I just have whatever shocks Teraflex sells with the long arm kit I have.

Did Tera give you any RME discount or just pay list that is posted on the website?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am glad we were able to get you some measurements.

Here they are for reference if anyone else needs them.
  • Features: Nitrogen Charged, Piggyback Reservoir
  • Fits Lift Heights: 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, 3.75, 4.00
  • Lift Range: 3 - 4.5 inch
  • Front Collapsed Length: 15.900"
  • Front Extended Length: 26.500"
  • Front Travel: 10.60"
  • Rear Collapsed Length: 14.100"
  • Rear Extended Length: 22.600"
  • Rear Travel: 8.50"

DAA

Thanks for the leg work and working with me on these Davy. Made my decision a lot easier.

I'll definitely post up my experience with them. Pretty excited to get them installed and give them a workout. I think they'll be awesome.

For anyone else considering them definitely get with Davy before ordering anywhere else!

- DAA

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
so 4.5 is the largest size available? I was thinking of installing my 5.5 inch springs soon... The MX6 shocks I have on the rear work ok... if I can just keep the passenger side from ripping out of the frame side.

Omgbecki

DAA, could you share what springs and arms you are running? I too am looking at the Falcons for my TJ as well as changing my springs. I have 8 year old fabtec springs that have seen a lot of action and a ragtag mix of teraflex and metalcloak arms with no name shocks.