Good sleep while camping... what's comfortable, a cot?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So since I sold my last RTT (and was never impressed with the sleep quality, despite a thick mattress... the Mombasa was too soft and the Camping Labs was way too firm) I'm looking at options for camping and getting a good nights rest. I'll admit that I'm a light sleeper, tend to sleep on my side and need a quality bed to get well rested. Most of my camping trips result in me getting crappy sleep and not feeling so great the following day. It's really hard to get excited about camping when I know I won't get decent rest. I'm not ready to invest in another RTT, so I'm thinking about a traditional tent and a couple cots for us. Sleeping on the ground has never been good for me, the pads just aren't comfortable enough and air mattresses suck. Sleeping in the Jeep is out, I'm 6' 4" and there is no way I could fit.

Anyone have experience with sleeping on a cot? I'm strongly leaning that direction. We bought a twin sized memory foam pad for the RTT, but never tried it out. I'm thinking that foam pad on top of a cot would be pretty decent.

Caleb

Yes, a foam pad on a cot is amazing. If you've got the room, a nice Springbar/Kodiak tent with a cot would be ideal. Camp would obviously take a little bit longer to setup, but the end result is a dry comfortable night sleep despite what the weather is.

Greg

Admin
One thing I hate about tent camping is getting wet inside when it's raining and fabric getting blown around and making noise all night long... I realize a tent is a tent, but something that stands up to the elements sure would be nice. I'll have to look at better tent options.

Caleb

I'm 100% with you on that. I love our Springbar for that very reason. It can be a torrential down pour and I stay nice and dry inside, you obviously hear the rain but you don't have to listen to the tent flapping around.

DAA

Yup. Cot in a Springbar is how I've rolled for decades.

Over 400 nights just in my newer, smaller Springbar. Few hundred more in my older one. Have never got wet. Literally, never. And generally sleep very well when camping. Rain on a tent actually puts me right to sleep though. Like hypnosis or something, I literally can not stay awake when it's raining on my tent.

When the weather is nice, I often just lay my cot out and sleep in it under the stars.

Been using the cheaper, spring suspended cots for a long time now. They don't last super long, I get about three or four years out of them, but they aren't very expensive either. I find them a bit more comfortable than army cots and a HELLUVA lot easier to setup and take down. I use foam pads on them. For the last ten years or so, a Cabelas 3" open cell foam pad, "Outfitters Deluxe Cot Pad", or something like that. It's getting a bit worn though, and has soaked up a lot of coyote blood, so has a little bit of a smell to it. Will probably get a new one this summer.

Once you get a little practice pitching and taking down a Springbar you'll be surprised how quick and easy that is, too. I usually get mine setup in about the same time as guys with RTT take to setup. Then it does usually take me a few minutes longer to take down and put away than a RTT. But, we're talking less than 20 minutes from start to finish - from getting out of bed to having my whole camp packed in the Jeep. That's by myself. It really is pretty dang easy.

- DAA

Greg

Admin
Lots of great info guys, thank! Dave, I've heard you talk about how comfortable that Springbar has been for you, they're on the list to consider. I will admit that setting up and taking down a tent it a turnoff, but it has to be done. If it holds up to nasty weather, it's worth the look! I don't mind the sound of rain on a tent... actually, I love it. I just hate getting wet inside a tent!

And Kevin, funny you mention that Cabela's cot... I was just looking at it, wondering how comfortable it really was.

Greg

Admin
Anyone familiar with the OzTent? They now have a US retailer that's based out of SLC! Their RV line looks pretty good, very quick setup and breakdown times due to the design. I also like the awning, a little extra shade is always nice. They're not cheap though, looks like they start around $800 and run to over $1000 for the bigger tents.

http://www.oztent.us/home

I think the RV-3 or RV-4 would be a good size for us and a couple cots.

[video=youtube;mNNZJT4lc-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNNZJT4lc-k[/video]

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That looks pretty sweet! At nearly a foot thick, it's probably a bit much for packing in the Jeep though. Still... I might have to go look at one of those bad boys in person.

- DAA

And Kevin, funny you mention that Cabela's cot... I was just looking at it, wondering how comfortable it really was.

It takes up a grip of space in the truck, no lie. But it's just as comfy as it looks.

Greg

Admin
Oz tent looks cool, my worry would be length of the tent, looks close to 7' long so it would be tough to get it inside a vehicle.

Yeah, it's long. I'd put it on the roof with a rack... less weight and size compared to a RTT and keeps precious cargo space inside.

It takes up a grip of space in the truck, no lie. But it's just as comfy as it looks.

I'll have to stop by Cabelas and check one out. Since I already have a memory foam pad, I think a standard cot would be fine.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Cot with a ensolite pad. If it rained I jumped into the back of the Scout or through a plastic tarp over me.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Cot with a ensolite pad.

:cool: Thanks for the info Jack!

+1 on the Springbar. Best tent I've ever used.

I keep hearing that, seems like all Springbar owners love them!

I just bought one of these Greg http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-10-lxw super comfy. I've been using the REI comfort cot in our Kodiak tent, I'm down sizing the gear I'm taking been thinking of selling the cot. If your in slick anytime soon and your interested we can work something out, REI doesn't offer it anymore.

That pad looks pretty interesting, so are you using it with or without the cot? Does it offer enough support for a side sleeper? Often I wake up because my shoulders and hips are bottomed out on the ground and I'm hurting. Sounds like with 4" of foam it should be plenty supportive. I found a bunch of reviews that rave about it... if I have to spend a little money to be comfortable, I think that's reasonable. Here's a good review on Overland Journal. - http://www.exped.com/en/blog/overland-journal-reviews-exped-megamat-10-lxw-–-editor’s-choice

If I'm back in SLC again soon, I'll let you know. Not sure how soon I'm going to start changing up our camping gear selection, hopefully soon.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'll give a "here here" for the MegaMat. I bought it after reading through some posts on ExPo last spring and love it. I sleep on my side/back/stomach and there is plenty of support. It took me a few nights to determine how much air is enough but not too much, when I did though it was amazing. I sleep just as good on that pad as I do at home in my bed. I've used it on the ground as well as on a cot I bought from Moody last year it and it is equally comfortable. Having it on the cot masks the lumps in the ground which is nice. I did melt a pin sized hole in it while shooting sparks in my garage working on my trailer build but it patched up easy with the included kit. I like it enough that I bought a second one for the few times a year I'll be able to get my wife out camping so I wouldn't have to sleep on the hard ground (gotta give the princess the good gear when shes out.) The second one is a little thinner (7.5 mm vs 10mm) but seems to be just as comfortable, it was on a good sale last Thanksgiving.

Take a look at the Turbo Tent. Its made out of ripstop canvas and has integrated poles. I've taken the 6 man on a few different trips and other than being real big to pack I've really liked it. I can fit two cots inside with room for an aisle. On the Freeze Your Tail Off this last year it rained all and blew all night long. I expected to get wet when I found a big pool of water at the front door but didn't. (There seems to be some type of rubberized coating on the floor to help out with this.) I bought my tent from the warehouse which is in SLC and paid something like $250 since it was a store return. They discount the returns and sell them on KSL and ebay and have seconds on Overstock.com. As someone mentioned about the Oz Tent this one is also pretty big. When packed up its 4.5', which is what the poles fold up to. I picked this one over the Springbar because I didn't want to rely on getting stakes in the ground. I've been many of them with my parents springbar and while the turbo tent needs some support to get the tent sprung it doesn't necessarily need to be staked to the ground.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm also a side sleeper, you can assist the foam with air. I just bought it and only have one night on it so I cant say to much. I'm 6'3" 230 on a good day and I did not push through to the ground. It packs down fairly well for as thick as it is, rolled up its about the size of my 2 man tent.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm also a side sleeper, you can assist the foam with air as well. I just bought it and only have one night on it so I cant say to much. I'm 6'3" 230 on a good day and I did not push through to the ground

I'm 6'3" and 300 and if I first lay on it and hit the ground it only means I've not pumped enough air into it.

Kurt uses a pad from ExPed as well, I can't remember which one it is but its not the megamat.