Good sleep while camping... what's comfortable, a cot?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, time for the follow up!

After camping for several nights on the Thermarest Luxurylite Mesh XL, I have to say.... I'm a fan!! :D I would dare say that I had some of the best camping sleep I've ever had, including many nights in a RTT with a thick mattress. The overall cost of the cot was high, but worth every penny when I woke each morning feeling rested. As expected, setup was a PITA but after climbing into bed the effort was well worth it. Sleeping on my side was more difficult than on my bed at home, due to the suspended design of the cot but it was still possible. I did get pretty cold a couple nights (it frosted on the 2nd night), the cot provides zero insulation due to you being suspended in the air and they actually sell a cot warmer that captures radiant heat. One of the days when we were in town I actually added a sleeping bag liner (I left mine at home!!) and was rewarded with a much warmer nights sleep afterwards. Simply amazing how well a thin, small bag liner makes so much difference! I really loved how the cot packed down so small for motorcycle camping, that also was a great selling point.

One thing I noticed (and expected after reading about it) was that the feet of the cot wore small holes in the tent floor. I tent to move around a lot at night and I'm sure that was part of it, but that doesn't make me real happy. Next time I'll try to figure out a solution to provide a barrier between the tent and cot. Here's the cot in action, ready to go!

20150621_184805-L.jpg

Caleb

Cool, thanks for the follow-up. I had read about the holes in the floor problem, I thought about getting some of the small furniture mover pucks and throwing them down under it.

Greg

Admin
Cool, thanks for the follow-up. I had read about the holes in the floor problem, I thought about getting some of the small furniture mover pucks and throwing them down under it.

That's a great idea, long as they'll stay in place. Small, packable and should solve the issue... good thinking Caleb!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
while often expensive, good gear makes a world of a difference when camping.

Buy once, cry once. I'm certainly a fan of this motif particularly when it comes to vehicles and hobbies.

Interesting on the holes in the floor. I wonder if you could carry some small squares of cardboard and the pressure would keep them in place at night?

sixstringsteve

All the more motivation to sleep under the stars with no tent at all. :)

Seriously though, sleeping under the stars has made camping 10x cooler than when I used to sleep in a tent. I'll often pitch the tent, sleep under the stars, then if it starts raining, I'll run into the tent.

Greg

Admin
If we weren't sleeping in Grizzly bear country and there weren't thousands of mosquitoes, I would have slept out of the tent! Not that a tent would do anything against a Grizzly, but at least I wouldn't have to see it coming! :eek:

sixstringsteve

no doubt about that. I tend to get more freaked out when I'm not in a tent, even though it wouldn't do a thing to protect me.

DAA

I figure the tent might give enough time or warning to deploy my magnum. Maybe. I always sleep with it car camping in bear country. Whether in a tent or not.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I'm starting to get too cot up in this thread.

Whoever can use "vestibule" seemlessly in a pun wins.

Last edited: