Good trail camera

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm looking for suggestions on a budget point and shoot. Doesn't have to do anything fancy, $100-200 range. I have a Sony DSC-S700 now that is hammered, the lens covers won't shut, and the auto lens gets stuck in the out position :D

Sami, what are you using?

I'm looking for something small'ish that I can still put in a pocket (ie doesn't need a big case).

TIA

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Funny you should ask what i'm using.. Right now i'm stuck with a huge Nikon D70S, and have been meaning to pick up a good little point and shoot for on the go trail stuff - just as you are.

I loved my old Kodak (the one the met it's fate under your 35" tires) and have been thinking about looking into the quality of a small Kodak point and shoot (Kodak Z950?). Nikon of course seems to be everywhere these days with that assclown Ashton Kucher. I hate that SOB.

Here's a list from a google search for top point and shoot cameras under $200:

Panasonic Lumix FH20: 14.1 megapixels; 8x optical zoom; 28mm wide-angle lens; 2.7-inch LCD display; 720p HD video; @ $150 ** I dig this one.

Canon Powershot A3100 IS: 12.1 megapixels; 4x optical zoom; Optical image stabilization; ISO up to 3200; 2.7-inch LCD screen; Captures to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards; Lithium-ion battery; Video mode; @ $150

Canon Powershot A1100 IS: 12 megapixels; Movie mode with sound (60 minutes / 4GB); JPEG file format; 4x optical zoom / 4x digital zoom; Lens-shift image stabilization; ISO 80-1600; 2.5-inch LCD display @ $130

Sony Cybershot W370: 14.1 megapixels; 7x optical zoom; 34mm Carl Zeiss Vario-Tassar lens; 3-inch LCD display; 720p HD video mode; Optical image stabilization; 243 degree "press and sweep" panoramic mode; @ $190

Canon Powershot A3000 IS: 10 megapixels; 4x optical zoom; Optical image stabilization; ISO up to 3200; 2.7-inch LCD screen; Captures to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards; Lithium-ion battery; Video mode; @ $130

Kodak Z950: 12-megapixel resolution; 10x optical zoom; Smart Capture auto-adjust feature; 3-inch LCD screen; Capture images to SD/SDHC memory cards @ $140

Casio Exilim EX-H10: 12 megapixels; 10x zoom; 24mm wide-angle lens; CMOS-shift image stabilization; 720p HD video; 38 pre-set scene modes; 3-inch LCD screen @ $190

Samsung TL320: 10.2 megapixels; 5x optical zoom; Dual image stabilization; 3-inch AMOLED monitor; 24mm wide-angle lens; 720p HD video; Captures to SD/SDHC memory cards; Rechargeable lithium-ion battery; @ $180

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My oldest boy has a little Nikon. I LOVE it. I use it more than my Canon SLR just because of the size of the Canon vs. the Nikon. I just saw a Kmart ad last night for a Nikon 12 mpixel, for $119 for fathers day weekend.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've been pretty happy with my Canon SD1100. I assume the A1100 IS Sami listed earlier is the current model of it. Nice and fast, good pics, and long battery life.

muleskinner

My wife and three kids all have small Canon cameras. They are all a few years old, but they all still work. I think any Canon, Nikon, Sony would be fine. Maybe go to dpreview for a comparison and look for the features you want.

Dirty Harry

Harry Situations
Wow, Kurt is ASKING a question instead of answering one!

They are a little more than you are looking to spend, but the Canon Powershot S90 and Panasonic Lumix LX3 are both excellent choices that are very compact and take wonderful photos.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I saw this
and thought it would make a good trail camera since its waterproof, shockproof,dustproof and freeze proof. Not sure how much it is though but costco has a $40 off coupon right now for it.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Ive always been a big fan of the P/S Kodak cameras. I still need to get a nice DSLR for hi res stuff. Prolly gonna snag myself a Canon t1i very soon.

Hunt

I had a Casio Exilim that I absolutely loved. The reason I bought it was that it was the thinest thing I could find at the time. It took fantastic pictures and was tough as nails. I work in some pretty harsh environments. The mate black one had a semi rubberized feel and was not slick with sweaty or damp hands. I liked that it used SD cards. They are cheap and i could carry several. The only reason I don't have it anymore is because someone decided they liked it more than me and walked off with it on a job. Mine was a 10 MP but I am thinking of picking up the new 12 MP. I have been using my old Sony that gets the job done but is like hauling around a cinder block.

Here is the first Google link I could find that had a picture:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CEcQ8gIwAw#

I think I bought mine at a local Ritz Camera.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've got a Polaroid t1031, on TooeleCherokee's recommendation, so far it's been treated fairly unkindly and it's holding up great, a year in. 10MP, 3x optical zoom, pretty standard fare. It's small, snaps to attention PDQ, and takes decent pictures. And it was like $80 or something on sale. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the cheesy plastic tripod thread but then, how many times am I really going to put a point-and-shoot on a tripod anyway? And you have to take the battery out to charge it.

I won't get another Sony, overpriced for the features IMO.... and too much proprietary crap.

Caleb

I've been using a Canon SD600 (yeah, it's quite old) but it's working great and takes awesome pictures (not as nice as my DLSR...but :D). I also like that I can slip it in my pocket and I can't tell it's there (I can tell my phone is there more than I can the camera). When I buy another P&S camera, it will be another Canon in the Powershot lineup.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I dig all of the Canon Elph series cameras...each one I have had has been great in reliability, photo quality, and they are super small.

Really, they are all pretty amazing now...

rholbrook

I have two of the Olympus Stylus waterproof cameras. Love them because I take it fly fishing with me and I don't have to worry about it getting wet. The kids love them because they can take them swimming and take under water shots. They are just a bit over your $200 range but worth it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Seems I need to head to the store and start playing with some of these and see which one finds me. I'm glad there are plenty of units out there to choose from!