Good trail camera

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I would pick up something that takes SD cards and AA batteries. I have a little sony camera that I got for free, but I lost the battery charger and it takes a special Lithium battery. It also uses Sony memory sticks, so my arsenal of SD cards is useless.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I agree with you Cody. I had to buy a special batteries at the Needles outpost (the trip where the lady wasn't going to award bad behavior), and it was an arm and a leg.. Amazed that they had one, but I sure had to pay for it. AA's and SD card are as simple as you can get. You can always cannibalize a flashlight or something for a few more photos.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Is that the trip when the lady refused to sell gas because she felt speeding was going on?

Yes, we endangered her friends. Friends = coyotes and lizards.

Her husband has always seemed like a pretty reasonable guy. Not sure how he ended up married to the poster child for bat-shit crazy soap dodging hippie women.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Yes, we endangered her friends. Friends = coyotes and lizards.

Her husband has always seemed like a pretty reasonable guy. Not sure how he ended up married to the poster child for bat-shit crazy soap dodging hippie women.

I'm actually very dissapointed that she wasn't there when we were out there in November. I wanted to see this bat-shit crazy soap dodging hippie women, I've heard so many tales about her.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks again for all the suggestions, I ended up with a Kodak, uses AA bats and SD cards and so far seems to have a really great battery life. I've used it on a handful of trips already and its still on the same batteries, something my older Sony wouldn't do.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Is there somewhere that lists battery life? I have been looking at review sites and sample pictures I can't tell the difference in the $300 camera and the $100 camera but if they would say a camera will give you 10x as many pictures out of a charge or set of batteries than the other one it would be helpful.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks again for all the suggestions, I ended up with a Kodak, uses AA bats and SD cards and so far seems to have a really great battery life. I've used it on a handful of trips already and its still on the same batteries, something my older Sony wouldn't do.

All right, the Kodak lasted a few months but bit the dust. I opted for the protection plan so I'll get a gift card towards a new camera. Anything new I should be looking at?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I use an Olympus Stylus Tough and it's held up to a couple years of being hauled around on the motorcycle and in the 4x4. I'm sure you can imagine what kind of environments the camera has seen! Matter of fact, it's the camera I had with me on our AF Canyon ride this Fall. It usually rides in a chest pocket, in my riding vest... not the most camera-friendly place, but so far, so good! It's water-proof, shock-proof and freeze-proof!

Likes- It has a 5x optical zoom, without using a lens that mechanically 'zooms' in and out. Less moving parts = less parts to get sand/dirt into and then freeze up. If that makes sense... I'm probably not using the right terminology, but hopefully you get the idea.

Dislikes- It uses an Olympus-specific lithium battery, so no carrying spare AA batteries. You either need to have a way to charge on the go (110v or USB) or carry a 2nd battery. There have been times where the battery has almost died during a trip, where we nearly missed out on some great photo opps.

I'm rough on cameras and have gone thru several in the past 10 years. So far, the Olympus is holding up like a champ compared to any of the others and it takes decent pics.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll have to take a peak at that one Greg, I do remember seeing it on the ride. This recent broken Kodak is the same one I had too, sadly its my 3rd camera this year (of course I'm activating my 5th Droid Incredible phone right now and #1 was in September? :D). I get my money out of extended warranties and insurance.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll have to take a peak at that one Greg, I do remember seeing it on the ride. This recent broken Kodak is the same one I had too, sadly its my 3rd camera this year (of course I'm activating my 5th Droid Incredible phone right now and #1 was in September? :D). I get my money out of extended warranties and insurance.

:rofl: Nice!

I've taken several photos with this camera that have turned out very well, without any real planning on my part. One of my favorites has to be the one here, just something about the clarity, color and sharpness.... I'm happy! -

http://www.rme4x4.com/showpost.php?p=727393&postcount=27