Got my 40's on today

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well it was yesterday. I needed my trailer for other storage, so they got put on. It's eisier to store 36's than 40's. They are SOOO far out of ballance it's SCARY. I even got them ballanced. Took about 24ounces a tire :D but they are still really bad. When I get over 35mph it shakes the truck in a scary kind of way. Got ideas?
fc6c0979.jpg
Looks good with the big meats
fc6c094b.jpg
fc6c092c.jpg

One keeps going flat though... :(
fc6c00af.jpg

Last edited:
P

pokeyYJ

Have you tried putting them on a tire turer(sp)? You know those machines that make the tire round again by trimming off extra rubber.

grinch

inner city redneck
Next time the tire goes flat unseat the bead and throw a 1/2 or 1/4 box of bbs in it. when the tire spins the bb go to the place thats out of balance by centrifical (or however you spell the damn word) force. The downside is you can hear the bbs bounce around when you stop somtimes...... its a getto fix but it has worked for me in the past....

Trailhawg

golf balls would be better. With all the salt around BBs would turn into a lump if the rig sat for to long.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
you'd be better off to buy a bag of playground sand and throw a few handfulls of it in there. There are several products that resemble sand (equal, counteract, magnum) on the market, but they are like $10-$20 per bag. If you do this, I want to hear your first hand experience on whether it really works or not. I have no first hand knowledge of this working for anyone, although I have heard plenty of people claim these products work.

The biggest problem with these sand type products is the manufacturer recommends using very little lube when mounting.

having the tire trued is a better idea, although you will lose tread depth.

BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THAT, CHECK FOR MISMOUNT!!
To make sure the tires are mounted properly: Most tires have a guide rib molded in near the bead area. Take a small metal ruler and measure from the edge of the flange to the guide rib. I would look for less than 1/32nd difference between the largest measurement and the smallest measurement. Measure in about 6 places (more is better, but on a 15" rim, 6 is probably plenty). If you have more than 1/32, you need to break the bead, re-lube the wheel and tire, then re-seat the beads.

Did you clean the wheel's bead seating surface before mounting the new tires? If there is rust or just a nasty buildup of crap on the bead seating surface, it can inhibit the tire's ability to get a good seat on the bead.

Did you check the bead seating surface on the tire? This can also have an effect on how well the bead seats.
Take it from me, Many RVs (that are using truck tires and trucks for that matter) end up with vibration problems that can be traced directly to a mismounted tire.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
so do you think if they went flat that that would cause the mis alignment of the bead? They were fine a while ago...

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Skyetone
so do you think if they went flat that that would cause the mis alignment of the bead? They were fine a while ago...

I tend to think not, but can't say for sure. When you say they were fine, did you measure them? I know it sounds kind of crazy, but measuring them is the only way to tell for sure. You can see a gross mismount, but 2/32nds is even hard to see sometimes.

Really, you need to look for any condition that causes the assembly to be less than round. Measure your tread depth in multiple places around the tread. If you see a difference in tread depths of more than 1/32nd you might consider the truing. I'm not sure exactly who can do this for you.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I'll get my mic. out this week and check it out. They were reasonably ballanced, but hand mounted. I'll have to check the mounting. Sounds like you know big tires :) But all this advice coming from a guy who goes to the salon on friday nights :D ask tracy...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by BlackSheep
you're killin me!!!

I knew I would get a reaction out of that one... :D

For those that don't know, Blacksheep is an Field Engineer for hte Michelin company... so yes, he does know his tires... :D;)

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Skyetone
I'll get my mic. out this week and check it out. They were reasonably ballanced, but hand mounted. I'll have to check the mounting. Sounds like you know big tires :)

Hand mounted won't really make a difference. It is the amount of lube, the condition of the bead and wheel that makes a difference. It looks like the tires were used, so that is why I am suggesting looking for mini-maxi wear (tread depth differences around the circumference of the tire.

But all this advice coming from a guy who goes to the salon on friday nights :D ask tracy...

got to keep my nails lookin purty!!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I gotz the flex.... Just have to do a little more trimorama when I get em rollin again.... I run here and there. Go figure...