GPS Systems: I need some feedback

TimB

Homesick
Todd Adams said:
Done that but not really practical on the trail. It is real neat to have scrolling USGS maps on the screen but where do you mount the laptop? A dash mounted GPS with map software is the best way to go. No hassle on the trail and you can up load the tracks to another program like Utah TOPO or Delorme once you have time back at home or in camp. I personally use a Garmin e-map with US TOPO loaded and works great except for the small screen.
Todd

Todd,
Mines not a laptop - its actually a small desktop. Mounted under the rear seat in a metal box. Here's a couple of pictures for you.
:D
DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

The red button is a remote on/off for the computer.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
TimB said:
Todd,
Mines not a laptop - its actually a small desktop. Mounted under the rear seat in a metal box. Here's a couple of pictures for you.
:D
DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

The red button is a remote on/off for the computer.
Tim,
That is pretty cool but hard to fit in a pocket. If I see you at Safari you will have to show it to me. Since I drive three different vehicles and am moving the GPS around I have to have something portable.
Todd

TimB

Homesick
Not shown in the picture is the keyboard and mouse in the console..... and the Lowrance that is portable if needed. I don't normally feel the need for the GPS when hiking and only have one Jeep, so I'm not too concerned about being portable.

Thanks Wayne - I have a number of gizmo's that fall somewhere between cool and crazy. Sort of depends on your point of view which one you think it is. ;)

VerdeXJ

I agree with GIjohn. Garmin makes great GPS's, very intuitive.
Another consideration is the mapping software that goes with the GPS.
Garmin has topo maps = to the scale of 1/100.

I am an avid GPS user of many years,
use includes local orineteering club, military,
and extensive recreational pursuit.

Budbeater

Broken Down and Smokin'
Attention: Set Jeep to overkill and fire away!

That is a way cool, over the top setup. Nothing spells success like excess!

Budbeater

psl53

memory

I Have a couple Magellans both Meridians. What is nice is they have sd card that you down load your maps to. Make sure you check out how much memory you have. Topo map take up a lot of space. With mine on a 64mb card I can download UT, Western Co, Northern NM and Northern AZ. I had a smaller unit that was a PITA because you had to load small map before you left on your trip, which most times didn't happen. I picked bothup refrub on e-bay for $100 + each.
Peter

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
psl53 said:
I Have a couple Magellans both Meridians. What is nice is they have sd card that you down load your maps to. Make sure you check out how much memory you have. Topo map take up a lot of space. With mine on a 64mb card I can download UT, Western Co, Northern NM and Northern AZ. I had a smaller unit that was a PITA because you had to load small map before you left on your trip, which most times didn't happen. I picked bothup refrub on e-bay for $100 + each.
Peter
This is soooo true! I have Delorme's Street and Topo 2005 (or something silly like that) and the only way I can upload their info to my GPS is if I do it in smal quadrants. What's even worse, is the detail of the map at the time of upload carries over to the GPS's functionality! It's not that the maps fill up all of my memory (I can upload the entire state, one quadrant at a time if I wanted)...That's just the way their program works!

So far Magellan's Mapsend program is the best program, IMO. I've heard the latest version is not as nice, though. But I've yet to try it out....Which I will need to, because I can't get the old version to work with the new GPS. :confused:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My Sporttrak Pro has a serial connection, and to upload say, Utah (topo and streets) takes about 45 minutes - even at 115k. I've yet to upload to my new one, which is USB, to see if there is a time difference. I'm really hoping so! Normal use on the serial is ok, though. traks and waypoints are quickly uploaded/downloaded....

Caleb

kirk86CJ said:
I was under the impression that the much of the software available is proprietary -Can only use Garmin software of Garmin GPS's. You guys that bought these non Garmin/Megallan - Is this an issue? What mapping software do you use?

Another question - I have an Ipaq with removable storage. Does anyone know if I can just get a GPS receiver and use it with the Ipaq? (I am looking at Bluetooth specifically) I want to use Topo type off-road maps, not as interested in the City type maps. - Again, I thought it wouldn't work because I didn't think I could use any good off-road maps.

Thanks
Kirk

I wouldn't worry too much about it, and in reality Garmin and Magellan are pretty small in the GPS world (although they are the main ones used in our sport). There is a ton of different software titles that can be used with just about any GPS that has a data hook-up.

IMO, A laptop is the absolute worse setup you could have in a vehicle. Have you ever looked at a laptop screen in the sun? Go try it and let me know what you see (or don't see :rofl: ). Not to mention they build a lot of heat, mix that with the heat of the desert (Moab, West Desert, etc) and you will either have a laptop that won't work because it overheats, or you'll have a sweaty, ornery passenger from holding said laptop :D If you want something more than just a GPS check out the PDA options. You can get a Bluetooth GPS and use it with your PDA which you can load hundreds of maps onto, plus have a very nice full color screen that is very visible in the sun, it's also dash mountable, portable, and small enough to fit in your pocket and not know it's there ;)

Caleb

waynehartwig said:
My Sporttrak Pro has a serial connection, and to upload say, Utah (topo and streets) takes about 45 minutes - even at 115k. I've yet to upload to my new one, which is USB, to see if there is a time difference. I'm really hoping so! Normal use on the serial is ok, though. traks and waypoints are quickly uploaded/downloaded....

the main downside to a serial connection is more and more new computers are leaving them off (especially laptops), leaving you to either adapter the serial connection to usb or trying to find a usb cable for your GPS (if one even exists)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Supergper said:
the main downside to a serial connection is more and more new computers are leaving them off (especially laptops), leaving you to either adapter the serial connection to usb or trying to find a usb cable for your GPS (if one even exists)
True....

Budbeater

Broken Down and Smokin'
The PDA scenario intrigues me because I am going to have to make that purchase for my business in the very near future. Am I wrong in saying that a PDA's main advantage would be in memory and storage capability?

Anyone have PDA based GPS?

Budbeater

kirk86CJ

A friend of mine has this bluetooth GPS receiver with an IPAQ. He says it works awesome. He uses Tom Tom software - which is a street/city software.

This is the one he has.
http://www.semsons.com/im3blgpsresi.html

I will get the same. I then found a site that shows compatible software.
http://www.gps4fun.com/pda_software.php

I just ordered the Pocket TOPO software to see if it all works - I already have access to The National Geographic Utah State software.

It sounds to me like it will work nicely.

Kirk

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Budbeater said:
The PDA scenario intrigues me because I am going to have to make that purchase for my business in the very near future. Am I wrong in saying that a PDA's main advantage would be in memory and storage capability?

Anyone have PDA based GPS?

Budbeater
...And it's larger color screen. Plus, the newer PDA's are usable in the sunlight (reflective background), making them easy to read. The color feature makes them easier as well.

psl53

I have a IPaq. I bought a hard wired receiver w/ a car charger to use in the car. I can also use the receiver on laptops. I use National Geo Topo CE for the software. It's great for a car. I'm not sure I want to use it in the dust and mud of four wheeling as I said I only paid $100 for a Magellan Meridian that uses the same type of memory SD cards. As mentioned the color and size of the screen are nice plus the memory can be huge depending on the card.
I'm a 50+ year old geek. It's like working on my Jeep without getting my hands dirty. The wireless would be cool, but again I would want something with a compass and barometer for trips in the back country. IMO

Budbeater

Broken Down and Smokin'
That begs another question. I like the barometer and altimeter features found in various units. Does the plam software have those features?

Budbeater

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Budbeater said:
That begs another question. I like the barometer and altimeter features found in various units. Does the plam software have those features?

Budbeater
Most likely not, because those features are hardware dependent.... Altimeter yes...