Jeep Grand Cherokee info needed

Omgbecki

Hello friends. Been a while since I've posted anything and I'm not sure if this falls into a tech question or not. I was just wondering if there were any one that could help me. I recently inherited a 2004 jeep Grand Cherokee Larado from my grand mother that passed 2 months ago. It has only 118k on it stock and really clean.

A few of you I have met and have seen my TJ and what it can do. It isn't a big dollar rig but smart upgrades and I know a lot about the it so I'm not exactly dumb but my knowledge on the Grand is lacking. I've tried finding information about things like transmission type, ratios, t case and things like that. I believe I read before that it had a D44 rear but it has an aluminum pumpkin??? I'm not sure what my plans are if I'm going to build it at all but I'd like to get to know it better. If any one could share their knowledge or send me to links or things like that that I could read it would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked but my mind starts getting foggy because I start thinking of my grandma. Thanks in advance and have a great and safe day

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
WJs have either a d35 or Dana 44a rear axle.
The front LP D30 almost certainly has cv joints instead of ujoints because it's full time awd ... and they're weaker. Cvs on the driveshafts too. Again weaker.
5x5" bolt pattern like a JK

The transmission is based on the motor. 4.0 or 4.7.

Last edited:

Omgbecki

How can I find out about the rear axle? Would it look like the D44 in the TJ or be different being the 44a? Also I wouldn't say mine is rare by any means but a lot of stuff I find says it should be a full time awd t case but mine has the select trac which has 2wd, 4wd part time, 4wd full and 4 low. A lot of the limited reading I've done suggests this isn't a standard option. It has the 4.0. Something I know about lol.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It looks like a normal 44 cover.
It's a stronger ring gear. (It's actually the same as in an earlier IRS Vette) but the center is aluminum. Common upgrade is a truss.
It sounds like yours has the better tcase.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
That tcase is rare, and the best of the options

It's an aluminum centered 44. I want to say it's c clipped too. Like has been mentioned, the ring gear is actually pretty thick but there are limited options for upgrades. It used to be an aussie locker and 4.56 gears was it, but maybe more is available now.

The wj unibody was slightly beefed up, and you could run up to 33s before opening the can of worms. Once you go above that, it's time for long arms, axle upgrades etc.

The archives on nagca.com are full of info, and there are still a few guys floating around mallcrawlin.com that have the wj tech.