Grand Gulch April '18

DAA

Semi trip report, full on picture dump here...

It was Randy, Jared and I's annual Spring backpack trip. Grand Gulch this year, which we have done parts of together several times before. Second time doing this leg for me and Jared, but the first for Randy and the last section of the Gulch he hadn't yet done.

Headed in Bullet, came out Gov't. Mostly a picture dump from here and not in the order things happened but in the order my pictures uploaded :D.

Super cool petroglyph panel

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-104.jpg

Ruins, and stuff...

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-114.jpg

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-115.jpg

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-118.jpg

This was camp on the second night on the trail

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-119.jpg

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-126.jpg

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-127.jpg

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-128.jpg

Camp the third night

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-132.jpg

20180423_Grand%20Gulch_Backpack-134.jpg

More to come...

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Those are some amazing pics. Every year Jami and I talk about a grand gulch backpacking trip, we just never make it happen.

DAA

Those are some amazing pics. Every year Jami and I talk about a grand gulch backpacking trip, we just never make it happen.

You should! I've done the whole thing from Kane gulch almost to the San Juan now. And almost all the major tributaries. Some parts of this last trip - Bullet canyon - I've been up and down four times now and am still noticing stuff I missed on previous times through. Grand Gulch never gets old.

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I never knew or considered that they used colors other than red. I'm guessing maybe it just hasn't lasted time? How common is it in your experience Dave? Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: DAA

DAA

I never knew or considered that they used colors other than red. I'm guessing maybe it just hasn't lasted time? How common is it in your experience Dave? Thanks for sharing.

Nate, I suspect that the red pigments have stood up to time better than others. Mainly because I have seen panels that still have strong red elements, but which thew other colors were very faded.

Which, makes it hard to say how common other colors may have been originally. But, I would guess that red was also predominant because there are so many panels done completely in red. Other colors are less common, but white especially is not at all uncommon either. Yellows are not too uncommon either, greens and blues are the less common. Blue is a pretty uncommon color to see.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm blown away, simply amazed at some of those panels and dwellings. Very jealous of that trip, I've been wanting to visit Grand Gulch for awhile and you guys are really making that a top priority! Thanks for sharing.