Grandpas Ol' Yota

dprescott13

Hey all, my names Dylan. just your average hunchback, with an old yota and a dream...

I have a 2wd 84' that has been in the family since day one, my great grandpa bought it brand new, and its been passed down through the generations til it ended up with me. its spent its life in Cali up til I got it close to 10 years ago. so the truck really is clean for how old it is. ive always wanted to build a super clean trail rig out of it. but its always seemed to end up on the back burner... until meow.

DAY I PICKED THE OLD GAL UP.

HOW IT LOOKED BEFORE I STARTED THIS PROJECT.

I decided a Toyota solid front, and an Elocker rear was the setup I was after. wanted to keep everything Toyota based.. started to round up parts needed and after driving all over the state, and scoring an unmolested complete front axle from @YROC FAB. it was time to start the tear down.

Got it in the garage, sitting on stands, and all the bolt on ifs shit and 2wd trans removed.118922
now to cut everything off the frame, and grind it all smooth.118923
doneski

now come time to build some axholes to drop under. I had most of the parts gathered up, and everything for the front ordered and on its way. at the same time I had traded a HP dana 44 axle for a Toyota trans and transfer case, went through it, replaced shift tower bushings, flushed and filled with new fluids, and threw a little paint on it for shits and giggles. the rear axle I was going to use came out of a late 80s runner, and with the help of yroc was modified to accept an elocker third member. I built up a top truss for it all out of 1/4" (way overkill I know, but metal was brand new and free) and picked up a complete rear axle out of a 2015 TRD Tacoma that was in a traffic accident and had bent the left side axle tube. no big deal to me since I was only after the third member anyway and scored it for 400 bones. had to re gear the rear to match the front, just went with 4:10 gears
got axle cleaned up, welded up and put together. got a set of 3" lift springs for the rear, and got axle mounted up under the truck. will have to figure out a retrofit for the locker wiring, but ill cross that bridge when I get to it.
front axle was complete when I got it, but I decided to go ahead and rebuild and upgrade it before putting it in. bought the complete axle rebuild kit, knuckle sandwich kit, top truss, diff armor and a couple other doo-dads from trail gear. got axle tore down to just the housing, cut off and cleaned up all the bracketry and brought it over to cory where he plased out some knuckle ball gussets, some bling for the truss, and even welded it all up for me. (I'm definitely not a great welder by any means, just good enough to get me by) I then took and boxed in the steering stops, got it cleaned up, and painted. replaced all bolts with arp studs, done all the seals, bearings and races, upgraded to trail gears wiper seals, high steer arms, and threw it all back together. last thing to do is set up the hubs, put all the new brake components on and its done.

next on the hit list will be the front spring hanger, frame tubes, and mount the front axle in the truck.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I drove that same truck throughout highschool. Mine was white with a manual tranny. It died when when dad stoped to check something out at a yard sale and either he didn't put it in gear or it popped out and backed down the slightly included road and mashed itself into a tree.

I'll enjoy you build, thanks for sharing

dprescott13

Haven’t been on in awhile, but grandpas ol yota is coming along nicely! Got the new super flex front springs in, axle bolted up, steering is done. Transmission and t-case is in. Exhaust is complete, got it off the rollers and on new tires and wheels, motor put back together, everything full on fluids, and truck is sitting on her ownBC7E81D7-3E5D-431F-AFD1-2BEF1C6665E4.jpeg6F14651B-C0D2-46DC-9735-E085BD089288.jpegD11C4931-3B94-492D-8533-F3960FBE7E5E.jpegC0EFF9F7-922A-4ED4-8B3A-1092E2A91FB5.jpeg

Last edited: