Gravy's 1-Ton Do-All TJ

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Welded up the steering tabs. finished wiring the tail lights, set the pinion angle on the rear axle started moving the winch plate back about 4"

I'm pretty freaking excited!

Cory came by and we drove it over to Teraflex to hit the ramp and check clearances, and Carl came out and looked it over.

I need to get limit strapping and bump stopping and high lining the front fenders is definitely in this rig's future.

after untold hours, I'm almost there

jeep001.jpg

jeep002.jpg

jeep003.jpg

jeep004.jpg

jeep005.jpg

jeep006.jpg

jeep007.jpg

jeep008.jpg

jeep009.jpg

jeep010.jpg

jeep011.jpg

jeep012.jpg

same roof height as a JK on 32's :headbanger:
jeep013.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Tennis balls 20 for $8 at Kmart work as great adjustable bumpstops when you stuff them in the coils :D

LittlemoabStrattonsJeep001.jpg

I blew a bead (beadlocks will fix that) and bottomed out my front driveshaft and broke it at the yoke (I think it was too long)... didn't even bust the ujoint... weird huh?

I need to tweak the brackets for the hydro assist ram, figure out the shifters and mount the reverse lights.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I just installed my new front driveshaft. I had Tatton's install an HD slip and forged yoke and he shortened it about 1.5"

Looks Beefy. I'll probably be back when I blow up the rear yoke...lol

SU1HMDAzODguanBn.jpg

I went with 1310 instead of 1350 because 1350 will only go 20* before binding unless the yoke is clearanced. So I'm running a 1310 to 1350 conversion joint and a forged and clearanced 1350 yoke at the pinion.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
for as much as you are spending on this thing you could just hire a personal driver to drive you around in his rig. :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
After watching George's roll on the Maze I decided to add some more to the cage.

C-pillar frame tie ins.
SU1HMDA2MTUuanBn.jpg

Start of the grill hoop (1.5" 0.120" wall DOM). Oh and new grill since I rolled at Crawlfest.
IMG00613.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
somehow I managed to crack a d300 housing in St. George so while I had it out to replace it I built a trick twin stick shifter. (This didn't stay for long).

I tore off both coil buckets and the trackbar mount. Apparently they were only tacked on. And the welds on the trackbar were ground down to almost nothing
..but the looked nice... LOL. I added a bunch of metal when I welded it back together tonight
I should finish tomorrow. Also I started welding the tube the the housing. And shaved about 1/2" off the 60, so pretty productive night. :D

beefed up the trackbar bracket
b3759b28.jpg

beefed up the upper control arm mount
1382fcab.jpg

replaced the toasted bushings in the front control arms.
5623347e.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
New stuff: bent the heck out of a rim in Delta and broke a shock so I'm getting that stuff sorted. I also blew 3 inner beads in Delta so I came up with a solution... hopefully it works. Ill let the pics speak for themselves.
272abaeb.jpg

12755fe9.jpg

Painted
bb536e00.jpg

Primered
753e61fb.jpg

Cory and I couldn't get the inner bead seated but I added rtv around the inner safety bead to make it more air tight and I'm taking it into a shop tomorrow to see if they can seat it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I grooved my TSL's! I've been wanting to for a long time. But didn't have a groover, so I came up with a cool solution that's faster than a grooving iron and cheaper. Ill share later... but here are the pics!
IMG_20100913_190008.jpg

Before and after on one tire.
IMG_20100913_183757.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I pulled the doubler out and pulled it apart last night.
The RTV between my front tcase and block off plate cracked
and as a result I ran the front case dry in Moab so I didn't have the use of low low.
Since I ran two trails with an empty case: I burned up the shift fork and shift fork pads on the planetary portion of the doubler.
Gotta find a new NP231 shift fork and pads and I'll be able to throw it back in and put it back together.

I kinda like that smell of new gear oil... It's an acquired smell mmmm :shades:

so here's the old range fork vs new.

IMG_20101001_151030.jpg

IMG_20101001_151052.jpg

IMG_20101001_151109.jpg

You can see how ruined the old shift fork is... pads missing and aluminum all chewed up. :devil:
a little different, but it works.