Gravy's 2005 Liberty Renegade

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Hand delivery.
It's so beautiful. I think I might cry.
20230330_201129.jpg20230330_201447.jpgScreenshot_20230330_201547_Messages.jpg
3 year unlimited miles warranty.
Came in $200 under the max quoted price if gear was toast (which it was).
He says he'll come over to my house after I get it in and program the Quick Learn on my TCM.
And then drive it around with me and make sure it works ok.

Now I didn't go with the cheapest option here. I could have bought a remanufactured one for $1500 ($1300+ torque converter)+$400 core +tax. But I felt like by the time I sent a core in it would be about the same. There also were a number of used units in the $400-$1000 range on eBay and elsewhere. I think this was the right move for this Jeep and should give confidence to a new owner (or me if I keep it around).

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Got back from vacation yesterday.
So in with the transmission today. Took maybe 4 hours with a bit of help from a neighbor. Faffed around a bit when I realized the builder swapped the studs that mount an exhaust hanger from the passenger side to the driver side. So I had to swap them.

Just waiting to do a quick learn on the TCM.
20230408_180933.jpg

I may have not done the fill procedure correctly. I put almost a liter in the torque converter and then the remaining 7.25L in through the dipstick tube.
I believe I was supposed to run it for a minute and fill as it cycled fluid throughout. So it puked some from the breather.
I freaked out thinking I had leak somewhere.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well bad news. It's possible either the torque converter has a pinhole leak or the front seal got pushed out... We did a quick learn on the TCM and it's leaking pretty strongly from the flywheel cover. Told that can hydrolock and push that front seal if it's filled incorrectly...
I'll pull the converter cover and see what's up tomorrow. Hoping I've just overfilled the the TC...🤞

Good news. I figured out how the get the rear tailgate glass on the KJ to close better.
You just pull the plastic tail gate trim cover and loosen two 13mm bolt and slide the latch outward - closer to the glass.
20230408_221153.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well. The bosses on the new torque converter have less depth. And the torque converter bolts punched through...
20230411_191124.jpg

And there's glitter...
20230411_192558.jpg

And the transmission is out...
20230411_195832.jpg

Pickup is scheduled for tomorrow...

The only glimmer of good news is it only took my 2.5 hrs to pull it this time. I'm practically a professional now...

Last edited:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
They always look like good wheelers to me, but the ones I've seen on the trail have had iffy performance. For a mall crawler, I'm sure it'd do well.

Hope you get the trans back soon

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well now I'm gonna be mad if you don't do that.

I hate to say it but 33s don't fit on these. A 31 will fit with a 3-in lift and that's about the biggest lift you can get. Even that is kind of iffy unless you do a diff drop.

I think two companies make front upper A arms but nobody makes lower arms so the ball joints that handle much more than that and neither can the cvs.
The rear you might could go 4" with iron Rock's upper "A" and lower arms.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I hate to say it but 33s don't fit on these. A 31 will fit with a 3-in lift and that's about the biggest lift you can get. Even that is kind of iffy unless you do a diff drop.

I think two companies make front upper A arms but nobody makes lower arms so the ball joints that handle much more than that and neither can the cvs.
The rear you might could go 4" with iron Rock's upper "A" and lower arms.

If we all combine our powers I bet we can come up with enough sawzall's to make 33's work

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Anyone remember that magazine liberty build way back in the day? SAS with coilovers. Pretty crazy build. I just remember the guy saying he would never build another one.