Gravy's 2005 Liberty Renegade

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The ADHD scope creep is real!

I noticed on my test drive a slight scraping noise that went away under braking. Upon further inspection, I found a sticky caliper slide and nonuniform pad wear.

So off to get new pads.
Checked the unit bearings, ball joints and TRE's.
Then I found some surface rust and proceed to go ham with wire wheels on an angle grinder and die grinder.
20230502_120339.jpg

After everything I could reach was cleaned, it all got wiped down and painted with rust converter black and high temp caliper paint.
20230502_125830.jpg
Then rebuild the caliper pins, new brake pads and hardware.

And rotate the tires because I noticed some slight feathering on the edges.
20230502_131238~2.jpg

Then because of scope creep and a new vacuum bleeder: I replaced the brake fluid and power steering fluid. And then degrease and detail the engine bay... And Because the pressure washer is out: pressure wash the thing, and then the driveway...

All under the watchful eye of the smallest supervisor. Who was mostly content to see how loud he could scream with his earmuffs on and feed the chickens his hotdog bun... 😄
20230502_113607~2.jpg

Now to order some paint.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
These early 2000 Jeeps are a cake walk to work on.
DS rear lock actuator was sticky, so I replaced it. $47.99. 14 minutes flat. T30 torx, trim prybar and a Phillips screwdriver.
20230510_172742.jpg

Also no act of mechanical sympathy goes unrewarded.... Yesterday the blower fan quit working unless it's on high: classic Chrysler blower motor resistor failure. I've got one on order. $15.27

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I FINALLY started painting the thing today.
We've been driving it a bunch since I had to have the water pump done on my wife's Audi. Well I got the Q7 back yesterday at 5pm and started prep last night.

20230714_104222_001.jpg

Scotchbrited the whole thing and started to feather out the pealed clear with 1000 and it wasn't knocking it down flat, so I switched to 380 and smoothed it out. Then came back to 600 or so.

20230714_101551.jpg

20230714_113529.jpg
(Wet floor trailer paint booth 🤌)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
*I think I've knocked all the clear off Marc.*

I've never shot with a pro gun all ony own before (I've shot cheap stuff or had friends do the gun setup and I pull the trigger). So this is a bit new for me but I put down a whole pint on hood in 3 wet coats so if I need to I can color sand.