Gravy's Prerunner build

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You have now taken the crown for the most severe case of vehicular ADD on RME. Is there anything manufactured in the last 30 years with a motor that you don't currently or haven't owned in the last 12 months? At any rate, I dig the Pre Runner. I have a soft spot for Rangers. Auto sucks but I guess it works when you have a busted clutch foot.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
What front suspension does it have?
http://www.hmracingdesign.com/

HM upper A-arms and fabricated plate knuckles with uniballs. Ford lowers. Don't know what coils yet (but they're blue!) And Bilstein shocks.

What rear axle does it have? I'm kinda assuming 8.8...

8.8. Drums. Supposedly all 4.0L V6s have a 31 spline rear. (Smaller motor Rangers got a goofy smaller ring gear and 28 spline shafts in the 8.8 housing).
I think I'd rather get a Yukon locker than a minispool. I'm planning to drive this thing a little for work as it's a little easier on gas and parking than my 55' long 4 door longbed Super duty.

I haven't checked the ratio yet, but I may end up swapping to a later explorer rear to get discs, LS and 3.73s. (4.10 where an option).

Again I need to check the gears first. I could certainly use lower than stock with 33's.

And I need to fix the speedo, 98+ use a $10 vss/abs on the rear axle that reads a tone ring bolted between the ring gear and carrier.

You have now taken the crown for the most severe case of vehicular ADD on RME. Is there anything manufactured in the last 30 years with a motor that you don't currently or haven't owned in the last 12 months? At any rate, I dig the Pre Runner. I have a soft spot for Rangers. Auto sucks but I guess it works when you have a busted clutch foot.

I haven't had a lot of new (to me) automobiles... I got this to scratch the go fast itch while my left foot is borkeded.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Glassworks fenders. The passenger one was damaged. Looks like a tire blowout or something.
Anyways, it appears glassworks isn't in business anymore so buying a single fender from some other fiberglass vendor probably wouldn't match (not to mention I haven't found a vendor that will sell a single).
So rather than spend $400+ and wait a couple weeks on a new set, I'm going to attempt to learn a new skill and repair it. Worst case: I buy a new one.

Mesh to support the repair.
(These are big drywall repair patches with self stick fiber backing). I also used 3m spray adhesive to get them to stick better.
IMG_20180219_203402.jpg

Sanded back the gelcoat and tapered the edges of the parent material.
Then 6 or 7 layers to get the thickness right. (I'll likely do a couple layers later on the backside to sandwich the mesh) Blending back 3 inches for strength.
IMG_20180219_225521.jpg

Trim back the edge and buy some more sanding discs! and probably Bondo...
IMG_20180220_085030.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Glass and shaping done.
The horizontal body line was tricky to work back in, but I think I was successful.
IMG_20180221_142805.jpg
IMG_20180221_145404.jpg

And I accidentally tagged my finger with the sander while working the glass. Pain.
IMG_20180221_140202.jpg

Paint and clear. Unfortunately it's so cold I have to run an electric heater in my painting area and I think it was aimed at the fender between a couple coats because I've got a few areas where it must have flashed the paint- it looked really good in color, but as soon as I laid down the clear it went orange peal in a few spots almost immediately. So I'll be sanding it back and redoing a large portion of it. Then wet sand and reclear. But from 10 feet it's a 10 lol!

IMG_20180222_235146.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Six States got my Eaton LS rebuild kit.
I chose the 14 disc carbon fiber clutch pack made by Eaton over the Yukon part, and I think the springs I have are 400lb.
IMG_20180222_181829.jpg

The cross shaft retainer bolt was rounded. So out comes the welder and a sacrificial 5/16" socket.
IMG_20180222_201920.jpg

IMG_20180222_210503.jpg

the clutch pack wasn't worn completely out and probably could have been reshimmed, but I wouldn't have know without taking it all apart 1st.

This is odd. A chunk was broken out of this spacer shim. (These go between the carrier and the case to set the ring left to right). I can't imagine it could break during normal wear? My best guess is someone cracked it installing it with a hammer.…? And didn't care to replace it. I don't see a huge problem with it broken from a functional standpoint, but I'll replace it for piece of mind.
IMG_20180222_210507.jpg

This cross shaft however is toast. Surprisingly the spider gears are fine.
IMG_20180222_220339.jpg

It's all ready to go, hopefully I can find a new cross shaft and spacer shim tomorrow.
IMG_20180222_231429.jpg

I stuck an axleshaft in and tried to turn it unsuccessfully with a 4ft. Crowbar. Perfect!