Jeep The RME4x4 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Today is the 4 year anniversary of bringing the Gladiator home, still loving it and the mods! ❤️

20220217_163552-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
I picked up a bed rack for the Gladiator, the plan is to setup the truck for more camping style trips... without going overboard and making it look dumb. (May be too late with the rack??) I do want to pick up another RTT and mount it to the rack. The rack is 13" tall and with a RTT on it, I hope it'll sit low enough it won't create much more additional drag. I didn't get the factory Trail Rail bed mount, so I either need to add that or the Teraflex Uinta cargo bed rails so I can properly secure the rack.

I've used the Gladiator pretty hard and beat it up more than I'd have liked but now that I have the TJ for the hard stuff, I'm planning to use the JT for more mild exploring and less challenging trails. This is a step in that direction, there will be more to come. Hopefully I can get a RTT soon and get out on some camping trips this Fall.

20230723_070942-X2.jpg

20230723_071027-X2.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I picked up a bed rack for the Gladiator, the plan is to setup the truck for more camping style trips... without going overboard and making it look dumb. (May be too late with the rack??) I do want to pick up another RTT and mount it to the rack. The rack is 13" tall and with a RTT on it, I hope it'll sit low enough it won't create much more additional drag. I didn't get the factory Trail Rail bed mount, so I either need to add that or the Teraflex Uinta cargo bed rails so I can properly secure the rack.

I've used the Gladiator pretty hard and beat it up more than I'd have liked but now that I have the TJ for the hard stuff, I'm planning to use the JT for more mild exploring and less challenging trails. This is a step in that direction, there will be more to come. Hopefully I can get a RTT soon and get out on some camping trips this Fall.

20230723_070942-X2.jpg

20230723_071027-X2.jpg
I’m looking to do the same, but I want a rack that I can quickly remove with the RTT on it.

Which RTT’s are you looking at?

Greg

Admin
I’m looking to do the same, but I want a rack that I can quickly remove with the RTT on it.

Which RTT’s are you looking at?

It's possible to remove them together with this setup, it's just a lot of weight and mass. You'd need a hoist or something similar. Even installing and removing a RTT by itself is challenging for two people.

I've had a few different RTT's, an ARB from Kurt most recently. I sold the ARB with the OUT trailer, sadly... thought about keeping it and should have. I'm looking for a quality, gently used one at this point. We'll see what comes up and what I end up doing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's possible to remove them together with this setup, it's just a lot of weight and mass. You'd need a hoist or something similar. Even installing and removing a RTT by itself is challenging for two people.

I've had a few different RTT's, an ARB from Kurt most recently. I sold the ARB with the OUT trailer, sadly... thought about keeping it and should have. I'm looking for a quality, gently used one at this point. We'll see what comes up and what I end up doing.
I’m planning on repurposing the hardtop hoist I used for my 2 door.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I am not sure if people like the Dan Cressal type rack but I've had two of those racks now. One he built that I used on my 2004 Cummins with an ARB Simpson II tent and the one I made recently for a new old stock Mombasa I was able to find.

I just built a box in the JT bed out of steel and added some turn buckles in each corner to tie the rack down. I can pull the rack out with the tent on it by myself and also install it by myself. It's about a 10-15 minute operation either way.

Dan's rack was made out of 1.5" square tube. I made this latest one from 1x2 tube.

One could customize the rack/box however they would like obviously. If interested, I'd make another thread with some betterer pictures but it's stupid simple. 20230513_071434.jpg

...and would match both of your white Gladiators ;)20230402_101523.jpg
Rack free version. "Functional" as a pickup (as much as a JT can be anyway) with the rack removed.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I am not sure if people like the Dan Cressal type rack but I've had two of those racks now. One he built that I used on my 2004 Cummins with an ARB Simpson II tent and the one I made recently for a new old stock Mombasa I was able to find.

I just built a box in the JT bed out of steel and added some turn buckles in each corner to tie the rack down. I can pull the rack out with the tent on it by myself and also install it by myself. It's about a 10-15 minute operation either way.

Dan's rack was made out of 1.5" square tube. I made this latest one from 1x2 tube.

One could customize the rack/box however they would like obviously. If interested, I'd make another thread with some betterer pictures but it's stupid simple. View attachment 162022

...and would match both of your white Gladiators ;)

I've been planning to build one for the Gladiator and have a couple sticks of 1.25" HREW in the shop for just that reason. I was going to build it like the rack I made for my Project Dual Sport.

I bought this rack used locally and it was cheap enough that I could justify not building one. 😆

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've been planning to build one for the Gladiator and have a couple sticks of 1.25" HREW in the shop for just that reason. I was going to build it like the rack I made for my Project Dual Sport.

I bought this rack used locally and it was cheap enough that I could justify not building one. 😆

I always liked that truck. A version of that with a 6.2 or 6.0 gas and a linked front suspension would be pretty capable. Big but capable. I wonder if it could just be done with a 6.2 F250 and a nice suspension system?

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

One could customize the rack/box however they would like obviously. If interested, I'd make another thread with some betterer pictures but it's stupid simple. View attachment 162022

...and would match both of your white Gladiators ;)View attachment 162023
Rack free version. "Functional" as a pickup (as much as a JT can be anyway) with the rack removed.
That was basically my plan. Building it like a camping Swiss Army knife that I contains as much camping related gear as I can plan for.