Jeep Gregs Willys CJ2a, rusto-mod version

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My wife is going to kill me.... :rofl:

This will be the 3rd Willys I've hauled home in the last couple months. :eek: I think I have a problem.... :ugh:

It's a 1948 CJ2a, it runs & drives AND came with a clean Colorado title! The price wasn't too bad either, considering the running condition. What's really neat about it is that someone took the time to swap in a Buick Oddfire V6, still had the T90 3 speed transmission and Dana 18 t-case. The rear axle should be a Dana 41 and front Dana 27(?), with what should be 5.38 gears. The engine fires right up and runs great, it runs and drives.... but the brakes are shot, so I've been driving around in 4-low only.... so I can kinda stop, or at least not go too fast. :greg: The exhaust is falling apart, so that will have to get re-done too. Of course, it has some hokey Farmer welding done to the frame.... like almost every single early CJ out there! The bumper is massive, plus a few pieces of super-thick plate welded to the frame. I'll probably trim down the edges of the front bumper, narrow it further and put an angled end on it at some point.

This is how I got it...

20161104_102155-XL.jpg

After I pulled the soft top off and gave it a bath... I'm going to sell the soft top, no plans to run one.

20161104_114108-XL.jpg

20161104_114245-XL.jpg

And #2 next to #3....

20161104_102034-XL.jpg

It's a 30'er at best though, the tub has some pretty good rust. It's worth saving, but I think I'm going to swap tubs from Willys #2, because that tub is super clean. I'll probably end up parting out #2, taking the hood and windshield frame for my stretched Willys project. This one (#3) will be more of a resto-mod, I want to keep the current drivetrain, but update the brakes, steering, tires, wiring, etc, etc. Eventually it'll get painted, rework the seats, etc. I want it to be a fun, reliable Sunday driver... that is capable of some offroading, but nothing crazy.

Greg

Admin
Oh, my wife doesn't know yet.... so if you know me/us on Facebook or elsewhere, don't say anything about the new Jeep. -_-

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My willys has brakes swapped from a wagoneer. They bolted up pretty easy and got me much bigger brakes that work a whole lot better.

Greg

Admin
I'm thinking she knows you well enough that she won't be too surprised when she finds out. :)

Surprised? No.... Happy about it? Probably not. Oh well! :D

You very well may have a disease...but I like it! :D

At least it's a fun disease! Had a big 'ole grin on my face after driving it around today.

My willys has brakes swapped from a wagoneer. They bolted up pretty easy and got me much bigger brakes that work a whole lot better.

That's my plan, GM caliper bracket & calipers with late model CJ rotors. Shouldn't been too much money and a massive upgrade in braking power. Out back I'll replace the wheel cyls, fresh shoes and hardware and see if the drums are reusable.

I've spent my fair share on and under Kyle/ Casey/ Stearling's CJ including rebuilding the rear axle and t case. It has that same odd-fire so I feel your "pain" ;)

It's a good pain! It'll be better when it has proper exhaust, right now it's pretty loud.

She will probably be happy you finally brought one home that runs :)

Yeah, you may be right.

I LOVE that one CONGRATS!!!

Thanks Marc, I'm very excited about it!

Greg

Admin
Sell me any body parts you don't end up using. ;)

I should have quite a bit, tub, 2 fenders and a grill. They tub and fenders won't be the best condition, but they'd work. I'll probably keep both windshield frames.

Will also have a rolling chassis, too!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That's awesome. I really want one just to cruise around town and drive to work once a week. I need more garage space...

Greg

Admin
Greg,
Love your new rig. You probably already know this but www.thecj2apage.com/forums is an awesome forum for 2a's and other flat fenders. Stock or mod, we like them all thecj2apage.com

Stan

Thanks Stan, when I get the chance I'll join & start a thread for this one and my Crawler CJ3a project. I have read a LOT of threads on there, tons of great information! It'll be great to be a member there!

Love it Greg!!! Nice score!

I knew you'd like this one Wade!

That's awesome. I really want one just to cruise around town and drive to work once a week. I need more garage space...

That's what I'm thinking for this one, cruise around town every now & again and just have fun driving it.

I have plenty of garage space, fortunately! As well as room out back, for other potential project storage. :D Took me a long time to get here, but I love it!

Greg

Admin
Well, I'm not good at keeping secrets.... I told the wife. She didn't really care.... :rofl:

We went for a drive around our property, she had fun. What's funny is that her mom had a CJ2a back when she was growing up. Her mom has fond memories and talks about that Jeep every now and again, it will be real fun to get my mother-in-law in the passenger seat and take her for for a drive in an old Willys again.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I was just going to recommend that you park it back there and play dumb. Like she's going to know exactly how many of what vehicles you have at any given time.

Greg

Admin
I was just going to recommend that you park it back there and play dumb. Like she's going to know exactly how many of what vehicles you have at any given time.

I seriously considered it.... and when she said something about it, tell her Willys tend to multiply on their own when left alone.