Grrrrrr....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Had someone come look at my '95 GMC this morning, 2nd time looking.... seemed all serious about buying. Guy is checking it out, sees some bubbling paint and proceeds to stick his finger all the way thru the rust, poking a hole where there wasn't one. They they make a stupid low-ball offer of $2200 for a truck listed at $3200.... and of course don't buy the truck. Yes, it was rusty... but there were no holes before this jackass stuck his booger-picker into the body.

So now my truck is still for sale, but has a hole in the side where there wasn't one before. I can't believe the balls of some people....

Greg

Admin
30 min later and they text me back with a better offer, but still under what I told them was my bottom line.

Sure... you can have it for less than I really want, only because it'll be harder to sell with the hole in the side you made.

:mad2:

Coco

At that point, I would have said looks like you're buying my truck now that you damaged it! Damn people are stupid!

Greg

Admin
At what point is it vandalism?

Realistically, I think it would fall under that pretty easily.

It's simply a lack of respect.... it's not your truck, don't go poking holes in the rust. The guy was trying to find everything wrong with it, to justify a low-ball offer.... the hell does he expect, it's a '95 with almost 200k miles on it!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had some one do nearly the same thing when I was selling my house. Our house had popcorn ceilings, and had a section near the front entry that had some old water damage. It was all dry but a small section of the popcorn finish was hanging down a bit. Came home after a showing and about a 8 inch section of the popcorn had been pulled off. So now it looked way worse than it did before. Had to do a hasty retexture before the next showing

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
People are jerks, especially those looking for a low ball deal.

Truth.

Last fall I was selling a good running el-cheapo commuter car and had an 18 year old offer just over 1/2 of my asking price of $1100 (He offered $600, site unseen). He then threw a hissy fit after I declined his offer because I used the term "low ball" and he was offended by that. :rofl:

Toad

I have been really considering sending assholes on a wild chase. I really want to give them a false address and mess with them. I have not done it but it is tempting. I have something on KSL now for 450 bucks. Got a offer for 200.00. It is just rude. Thats not a offer.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
I have been really considering sending assholes on a wild chase. I really want to give them a false address and mess with them. I have not done it but it is tempting. I have something on KSL now for 450 bucks. Got a offer for 200.00. It is just rude. Thats not a offer.

Next time list your "something" for 650. Someone with 450 will find it and make an offer and feel like they got a great deal. The average joe blow will search for things in their price range and slightly higher hoping they can jew you down to their range to feel like they got a deal. You have to target people in the correct range to get what you want for things. I have listed things for free and not got a single call, probably because people think its junk, relist it for 20$ and have ten low ball offers to come and get it.

Tonkaman

Next time list your "something" for 650. Someone with 450 will find it and make an offer and feel like they got a great deal. The average joe blow will search for things in their price range and slightly higher hoping they can jew you down to their range to feel like they got a deal. You have to target people in the correct range to get what you want for things. I have listed things for free and not got a single call, probably because people think its junk, relist it for 20$ and have ten low ball offers to come and get it.
So much truth to this!^^^

When I had a hard time selling my Tacoma, I lowered the price. Oddly enough every time I lowered the price I got fewer calls. Eventually I raised the price up a few grand and took a “lowball offer”.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My neighbor counters low ball offers with a higher price, the lower they go the higher he goes.
On Greg's original thought I was once one of those "jerks" in one guys eyes. I was looking for a dirt bike for my son and found one for a low price. When I went to look at it he claimed that it was recently rebuilt but not running. I asked who rebuilt it and he said his son did in his shop class. I was skeptical of the rebuild and asked him if I could try to see why it wouldn't run and he said fine since he could sell it for more if it was running. I found that his main carb jet was gummed up and after asking him for permission I cleaned it. It started right up and sounded good for a few minutes then the motor let out a nasty sound and froze up. I got chewed out and accused of ruining his motor. I think they guy wanted to just get rid of it because he didn't trust his son's rebuild.

Homefryy

As annoying as they are, low-ball offers can be ok. First and foremost, don't take much of the sellers time, just a simple "I'm willing to pay $X, if at some point you decide to go that low give me a call". Sometimes starting prices are way too high.

I tend to go with this approach. I bought a Subaru Forester once that was listed for $2700 (it was definitely listed too high based on the condition). When I went to check it out it had a bunch of rust along the sides of the windshield that wasn't visible in the pictures to the point that the windshield leaked slightly and there was a good amount of serpentine belt squealing coming from somewhere.

The guy said his bottom line was something like $2200. I wasn't that super excited about the car based on its condition (it also needed some serious interior cleaning) so I told him I wasn't trying to be a dick or low ball him but the most I was comfortable paying was $1500 so if the car didn't sell in a couple of weeks and he was willing to take that to give me a call. I made it about 3 minutes down the road and he called me and said he would do $1500.

If you aren't comfortable paying what the seller wants I don't see a problem with letting them know what you would pay as long as it is done respectfully and with the mindset/attitude that the seller will probably say no and that's OK. But don't poke holes in somebody's car/truck and then try to low ball them!

For cheaper items (under $100) if I feel something is fairly priced I don't even try haggle. Yeah I could probably get it for $10 less but sometimes its nice to just verify everything is good, hand over the money and be on my way.

Last fall I was selling a good running el-cheapo commuter car and had an 18 year old offer just over 1/2 of my asking price of $1100 (He offered $600, site unseen). He then threw a hissy fit after I declined his offer because I used the term "low ball" and he was offended by that

This really annoys me. At least come look at the item. When I get those super low ball texts the only response I send it "No".