Grunt/Runt

JoeT

Not a great way to promote something your trying to sell. I've seen them at EJS and one at last years AirGas show. FUGLY comes to mind when I see these.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
They had a white one at the Off Road Expo. Its agreat idea but damn the new bodies are ugly as hell. I saw a red one (maybe the same with red paint) on I-15 a few weeks ago..still ugly.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I saw two of them at moab the week before easter.... the guy driving the red one would even tell anyone about the thing.... they just looked at me and laughed.... so later on when the highway patrol had them pulled over I made it a point to slow down and stick my head out the window and laugh back!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
a buddy i went to highschool with had a Bummer, which was the first of that company's inventions... until GM bought the rights to the Bummer... anyways his dad owns the company, and i'm sad to see that they actually went ahead with those ugly runt/grunt things. i'd seen the prototypes maybe 4 years ago, and threw up in my mouth... they're no daisy at all...

-Jason

chadr

It basically comes down to if you want a Kit Car or not to wheel in. Either you can use one of these kits and have a shell to work with or you can buy yourself a tube bender and some skin and make a tube framed buggy.

I was wondering about this because they had put a lot of thought into their design to be able to tear the whole shell off of a blazer and make a vehicle that could run large tires with low center of gravity.

Chevy running gear is easy to come by and is really cheap and the drivetrain that comes stock can be easily upgraded to a V8.

Here is another Hummer knockoff that I saw recently. Why haven't these guys been hit up about copywrite infringement?

http://www.classicroadsters.com/badlands_rt.html

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
EKSJAE said:
.....ugly too.

I'm beautiful on the inside though!

I don't think they really put all that much thought into the functional aspect of it. It's not that hard to take a Blazer body off... and the ones I saw were pretty tall, and they weren't on 40's or anything.

anyway. They're goofy looking, and fiberglass is not rock-friendly. :eek:

Bart

At Safari this year we had just aired down and were loading up to run Pritchett when two of those (yellow and red I think) flew by us and started the trail. We waited for them at the very first drop off and then again at the first play area in the wash where they were trying to quickly trying air down while in the middle of the road. We laughed at them and waited patiently, not saying a word about the juvenial stunt they'd pulled. Funny thing is they struggled on every obstacle and we just watched, and laughed. Functionally, they sucked. Finally at the Tubs they begged us to pass them.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
my buddy that had the bummer ran something like 38's on his stock blazer axles... i remember that's one thing he said was so cool about them, is you take off the chevy/dodge/ford body and put on the kit body which allows you to run huge tires... yeah, that's cool if you want to break stuff... i think that GM thought almost the same thing with the H2... make a body that'll allow 37's on the stock Suburban gear.... not smart...

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
But remember by removing alot of the weight in steel the average kit weighs 1000lbs less than stock (I called them about building a bummer long time ago). So less weight means the axles have less stress and can run a bigger tire....to a degree.

Houndoc

Always seems odd to me when an off road forum becomes an automotive beauty contest....seems to me like it should be about function (which may or may not be worth a darn on these things).

chadr

Jay5.9L said:
But remember by removing alot of the weight in steel the average kit weighs 1000lbs less than stock (I called them about building a bummer long time ago). So less weight means the axles have less stress and can run a bigger tire....to a degree.

When I posted the thread, I was thinking more or less that you take an everyday S-10 Blazer that you can aquire for Less than $500.00, remove all the body, Swap in some 3/4 ton Axles with lockers and adequate gears, throw some average tires so you aren't too top heavy, and then wheel the he!! out of it.

It would benefit those of us that aren't able to do custom fabrication. When the frame or drivetrain gives, evaluate your situation and either upgrade or build it back the same. It's not like this rig is built to be a competition buggy.

As I remember, and as quite a few have stated in the post, it is built to be a street legal vehicle that can be very capable off road. I don't know if I would ever go with the kit myself, but it would be a very good start if I wanted something that would be comfortable for the family to ride in.

I don't care what it looks like as long as the functionality is there. You just have to get by the FUGLYNESS of it. :D

Bart

Like I mentioned in my previous post, they struggled on almost every obstacle on Prichett.. I couldn't tell if it was the drivers or the rigs. I don't see why they couldn't do well if they were set up right.