Guess I am going to Swap my Axles

shortstraw8

So I'm now being told by the people who told me that I really didn't need stronger axles in the first place, that I should upgrade if my ring and pinion were missing teeth.

I went junk yard shopping today and found one truck that might do.

79 short bed Chevy K10

The front axle looked like a D44 to me for sure, but I figure I will check anyhow.
20150713_110548.jpg
20150713_110603.jpg
20150713_110534.jpg

And I am about 100% sure the rear is a corp12
20150713_110621.jpg
20150713_110631.jpg

All the trucks out there, not one with a D44 rear, all the Jeeps that may have had a rear D44 were already missing the rear.
There was a 79 Ford F250 rear wheel drive that looked to have a D60, but I feel that is way over kill for my Jeep. If I was building a buggy then yes I would.

So my questions, is a corp12 worth upgrading?

I only plan to run 35" maybe 37" I don't ever see myself running a bigger tire than that though.
And I don't do any "hardcore" wheeling, I have run 35" tires D30 front with locker and AMC20 no locker and never broke a shaft, just stripped ring and pinion. And that could have been due to it being setup wrong the whole axle did not look like it was put together well by whomever did it before.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
My input is that the half ton Chevy axles (you are correct in that the front is a Dana 44 and the rear is a 12-bolt) are not much (if any) of an upgrade and in NO WAY worth the effort to swap in.

I assume these are going into a Jeep CJ?

shortstraw8

Okay, are you saying that D44 in general are not much of an upgrade, or is it just the axles from the half ton Chevy, I suppose thats why those where the only trucks out there with both front and rear axles. I have been looking for Wagoneer axles but no luck on that.

Pile of parts

'74 - '79 Wagoneer axles can make for great swaps based on what you're saying. Dana 44's front and rear, not as wide as the chevy axles (about 61"ish WMS-WMS vs 69"ish). Not sure which axles you have in your Jeep - wide or narrow track? IIRC the wide tracks were about 56" and the narrow tracks around 53". Either way, you're about to open up a great big can and the opinions are going to come flying in. I've spent money three different times on axles with the same thought of "This is as big as I'm going to run." so I'm no help but I just thought I'd give you some things to consider. Good luck in your decision.

shortstraw8

Yeah, I like this jeep the way it looks, if I really want to go any more extreme then I would build a buggy. But I have never really done any thing crazy, mostly just joyriding in deserts and playing in moab. That is why I say I don't think I would never need a tire taller than 37" I would probably build a rig for trails like upper helldorado

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
My input is that the half ton Chevy axles (you are correct in that the front is a Dana 44 and the rear is a 12-bolt) are not much (if any) of an upgrade and in NO WAY worth the effort to swap in.

I assume these are going into a Jeep CJ?
I get that the 12 bolt is no upgrade. But the 44 has an inch and a half bigger ring gear, stronger shafts, bigger stronger joints (I realize aftermarket shafts are available with the bigger joints for the 30), and much better hubs and brakes. I agree that it may not be worth the effort or money to swap it into the CJ, but depending on what he wants the Chevy front may be the best choice. I swapped a Chevy 44 into my CJ and it was a great choice because I wanted to go spring over and it was made for that configuration, with the proper spring pad and flattop knuckles for hysteer. It works well and has never had a broken anything. It was a poor choice because the money I put into it and it was a lot (shortening, superior shafts, CTMs, ect) could have been put into a 60 and the final tab would not have been much more.

Ashcat

Do you need a pass drop front axle or will driver work for you?

I know where a Ford D61 66" wms and a reverse rotation D44 are.......

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I get that the 12 bolt is no upgrade. But the 44 has an inch and a half bigger ring gear, stronger shafts, bigger stronger joints (I realize aftermarket shafts are available with the bigger joints for the 30), and much better hubs and brakes. I agree that it may not be worth the effort or money to swap it into the CJ, but depending on what he wants the Chevy front may be the best choice. I swapped a Chevy 44 into my CJ and it was a great choice because I wanted to go spring over and it was made for that configuration, with the proper spring pad and flattop knuckles for hysteer. It works well and has never had a broken anything. It was a poor choice because the money I put into it and it was a lot (shortening, superior shafts, CTMs, ect) could have been put into a 60 and the final tab would not have been much more.

44 R&P is indeed bigger, but the R&P of the 30 is rarely the weak point. Bigger shafts and joints (at least bigger than the early 30s) yes, but as you said aftermarket upgrades are cheap and easy compared to an axle swap. Better hubs and brakes - yeah, maybe, but just maybe. Neither are problem on a Dana 30 of the CJ flavor - they still have serviceable bearings, and the brakes if properly maintained are plenty sufficient for up to 37" tires. The high-steer knuckles can fairly easily be put on tthe D30 (if I'm not mistaken...?) which would also upgrade your hubs and brakes.

Also, if the OP likes the look/size/stance of what the Jeep has now, the fullsize axles are going to ruin that in a hurry, no matter what they came from.

I just don't think that a swap for marginally stronger parts would be enough of an upgrade to be worth doing, unless there are other goals as well (like yours with the SOA and high steer...)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
44 R&P is indeed bigger, but the R&P of the 30 is rarely the weak point. Bigger shafts and joints (at least bigger than the early 30s) yes, but as you said aftermarket upgrades are cheap and easy compared to an axle swap. Better hubs and brakes - yeah, maybe, but just maybe. Neither are problem on a Dana 30 of the CJ flavor - they still have serviceable bearings, and the brakes if properly maintained are plenty sufficient for up to 37" tires. The high-steer knuckles can fairly easily be put on tthe D30 (if I'm not mistaken...?) which would also upgrade your hubs and brakes.

Also, if the OP likes the look/size/stance of what the Jeep has now, the fullsize axles are going to ruin that in a hurry, no matter what they came from.

I just don't think that a swap for marginally stronger parts would be enough of an upgrade to be worth doing, unless there are other goals as well (like yours with the SOA and high steer...)

I totally agree except for the part about the hubs. I had many failures with the stock hubs on my 84 CJ (the same as the OPs 83) and I considered them a big problem. I had much better luck with the earlier 6 bolt style but still broke one before going to the 44. I still think the 44 swap may be a good thing, but on the other hand the one pictured in the first post is a total gut job and would have to be cut down. I cannot imagine much is useable and the cost of making it right will be high. I have to say I believe either a 30 or 44 are questionable for 37s. One other issue not mentioned is that a CJ with 56" wide axles feels pretty tippy with 37" tires (trust me on this). A little bit of width will help a lot, but full width does look goofy to me. My recommendation would be Grand Waggy 44s if some can be found in good ready to run shape until the itch to go bigger comes along. I also see 44s already set up for a CJ for sale from time to time for way less than the cost to build them.

shortstraw8

Do you need a pass drop front axle or will driver work for you?
I know where a Ford D61 66" wms and a reverse rotation D44 are.......

Yeah, passenger drop. Do you know the price? and what year of Ford?
Maybe if that is a good deal, I could grab the D60 out of the 79 ford F250, I can go back and take pics, but anyone know the likely-hood of it being a D60? it was a rear wheel drive.
And maybe just start turning this into a "meaner" rig, I am kinda rebuilding most of it anyway, are Dana60s to heavy for a Straight 6?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Find a set of scout dana 44's. They are just about the closest match for a cj. Run a set of high steer knuckles if you want to run the springs over the axles. This was about the perfect set up for my cj7.

shortstraw8

Find a set of scout dana 44's. They are just about the closest match for a cj. Run a set of high steer knuckles if you want to run the springs over the axles. This was about the perfect set up for my cj7.

Yeah I have seen that those are a good option also, I am already SOA also

1993yj

Personally, if this is the first time the R&P has broken, depending on how many years you ran without issue, I probably wouldn't be sapping axles just because you broke some teeth once. If you want an excuse to get better/stronger axles that's fine, but if everyone swapped axles the first time they broke a shaft or R&P, everyone would be running rockwells. And I am also in the boat of the people who don't think that a D44 is enough of an upgrade that it is worth the swap.

shortstraw8

Personally, if this is the first time the R&P has broken, depending on how many years you ran without issue, I probably wouldn't be sapping axles just because you broke some teeth once. If you want an excuse to get better/stronger axles that's fine, but if everyone swapped axles the first time they broke a shaft or R&P, everyone would be running rockwells. And I am also in the boat of the people who don't think that a D44 is enough of an upgrade that it is worth the swap.

That is kinda how I felt, and judging by the way the axle was put together, when I was taking it apart, I get the feeling that the gears may have not been set up correctly.

Thanks for all the input, I think I'm just going to stay with stock and upgrade them. Swapping them isn't even a project I wanted to take on right now, just getting it on the road is what I want.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Waggy axles or scout axles are IMO the best swap for the money. I've got a waggy front I'll sell ya if you ever want to do it. It's the correct drop, has flat top knuckles, but it's disassembled.$100.