Guess what I got?????

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Guess what I got for my anniversory last sunday? :D

I'm still undesided if I'll keep it since my wife actually got the winch last year for Christmas but never gave it to me. She said she took it back since I found it hidden in my inlaw's house. She would much rather me ether return it or sale it, to get a pistol of some sort. Will see I would have to get a bigger altinater, and probably add another battery to get it to run. YES I know it's over kill.

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Naw, it's not over kill... This coming from someone with a 16.5 winch on their TJ. The bigger ones go faster and have lower current draws. Chances are you don't need two batteries and a larger alt to run this... I only have one yellow top, but now I have a 170A alt...Didn't use to though. Killed my lil' one in the ocean and upgraded. New one is much bigger than the stocker... Had to pull my OBA to get the new one! Old one just dropped out the bottom....Anyway ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Honestly that current draw sure looks eccessive. I find it hard to believe it pulls nearly 600A at a mere 4k lbs. Or even over 100A with barely no load on it. If it's that high, I wonder what it is at full 12k load :eek: But I'm not sure. Warn doesn't show the specs of the winch, so I'm not sure where GoWarn got them.
I believe it to be more like this....But I honestly don't know.
http://warn.com/truck/winches/src/M1200.shtml

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I say if you want to use it, bolt it up and try it with your current setup. You'll know fairly quickly if your current setup is enough to run it or not. You should have at min a Yellow top 34/78, though... As they do need to have power and a good battery will store that much needed power.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
....The bigger ones go faster and have lower current draws. Chances are you don't need two batteries and a larger alt to run this...

By faster, you are not referring to line speed though.... right???

By lower current draws you are....well wrong.

Common belief may be sided towards these, but the statistics that I have read side with the original post. They recommend 650cca to pull with that larger winch. With it being a WARN budget winch, it is probably still a decent product, but still overkill for anything that the jeep will do. I have always believed that the larger the winch the slower the line speed??? In products that I am familiar with, they use a mechanical advantage for the higher rating by way of changing the gear ratio and therefore slowing down the line speed and increasing resistance making the higher amperage a requirement.

I know that is a fact on the T-Max and from what I just searched on the WARN winches, is true as well. Just hoping to clarify.

Whether there is personal preference on the overkill part is another story altogether, and why you would feel more comfortable with a heavier duty winch. I prefer the faster line speed. When all is said and done, that winch will be just fine.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
We got a REALLY good deal on the winch, and couldn't pass it up all they had was a 12k. It's way over kill for my Samurai I know. I'll probably end up selling it anyways.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have no idea how all that works. I just firgured I'd have to add a new alt, and batt. Atleast from what i've read.

I winched all the time with just an optima and my old standard samurai alternator. Lasted me a couple years then I swapped in a ac delco for around 50 bucks

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
By faster, you are not referring to line speed though.... right???

By lower current draws you are....well wrong.

Common belief may be sided towards these, but the statistics that I have read side with the original post. They recommend 650cca to pull with that larger winch. With it being a WARN budget winch, it is probably still a decent product, but still overkill for anything that the jeep will do. I have always believed that the larger the winch the slower the line speed??? In products that I am familiar with, they use a mechanical advantage for the higher rating by way of changing the gear ratio and therefore slowing down the line speed and increasing resistance making the higher amperage a requirement.

I know that is a fact on the T-Max and from what I just searched on the WARN winches, is true as well. Just hoping to clarify.

Whether there is personal preference on the overkill part is another story altogether, and why you would feel more comfortable with a heavier duty winch. I prefer the faster line speed. When all is said and done, that winch will be just fine.

No, by faster I'm comparing the ability to drink beer - yes, line speed :rolleyes:

As for current draw, you're the one that is wrong....

Who is 'they'? The specs for the Tabor series are not published and as such I don't trust other 'peoples' idea of what they are.

Here are the specs from a 16.5ti and 9.5ti (courtesy of Warn)
9.5ti
0 load 62ft and 47A
8000 lb 7.59ft and 370A
9500 lb 6.67ft and 425A

16.5ti
0 load 23.6ft and 68A
8000 lb 6.08 and 291A
10000 lb 5.12 and 342A
16500 lb 3.24 and 507A

Specs for a M8000
0 load 42 and 80A
8000 lb 8.01 and 435A

Ok, so my statement about speed doesn't hold water, but the lower current draw definately does! The 16.5ti doesn't even get close to pulling the same current that the 9.5ti does until it's nearly a 12k lbs load. But at 8k lbs, the 16.5 pulls nearly 80A less than the 9.5. Those are true numbers from Warn comparing two of their same model winches.

Last edited:

Crinco

The bigger winch would likely have a larger motor that doesnt have to work as hard.... so less amp draw...? Plus a change in gearing, so who knows :)
CR

gripguru

Nate Davidson
No, by faster I'm comparing the ability to drink beer - yes, line speed :rolleyes:
:rofl:

As for current draw, you're the one that is wrong....

I have to say you are correct. For 8000lbs on the different winches the amp draw is lower with the larger winches. Thank you for the clarity. I jumped to the conclusion that at the winches pull rating - 8000 or 10000 lbs respectively, there is more amp draw for the larger winch, but that would not be the real world assesment of the thing.

At least I was right on the line speed, and only made a 1/2 ass of myself.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
:rofl:

I have to say you are correct. For 8000lbs on the different winches the amp draw is lower with the larger winches. Thank you for the clarity. I jumped to the conclusion that at the winches pull rating - 8000 or 10000 lbs respectively, there is more amp draw for the larger winch, but that would not be the real world assesment of the thing.

At least I was right on the line speed, and only made a 1/2 ass of myself.

Nope.. I was talking pound for pound. That's real world. No matter how big the winch is, it's going to be used the same. It doesn't matter if it's a 8k lb or 16.5k lb. You're going to be in a position and you will have to use it. Aint nobody gonna say "I've just got this little thing, I can't right my rig/help you right yours". :D

The bigger winch is also going to have a much better duty cycle, too. A 9.5ti will start flashing it's I'm getting hot light waaayyyyy before my 16.5ti will. I've pulled 3 rigs up eagles nest, one right after the other and not had any issues with heat. I also only have one yellow top battery and had the motor off. One of those rigs was a full size Bronco, too. After I got them up, I jumped in my rig and it fired right up without even hesitating.

To me, a 12k lb winch is perfect for a trail rig.