Gun Control

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So what does this mean for me? I'm not a criminal. Just average joe. I don't own any guns. I think I'd like a hand gun, rifle, and a shotgun. Should I go buy them today? Should I buy them from a store new or a private party used? I guess I'd like to be off people's radar as much as possible. In a legal way of course (legal by today's standards).
Suppose I went out today and bought them, what do I get? Most common, simple stuff. 9mm, pump action 12ga, no idea on a rifle? What should I expect to pay for this stuff?
If you want something eventually, I would get it now. Utah does not force us to register our guns. There is an initial background check done by the state that is rather quick, and those records are discarded after a certain number of days (60 I think?).

For your first firearms I would suggest the KISS principle.

A Mossberg pump action shotgun is pretty hard to beat in price and reliability. They are great for home defense, but get a shorter barrel version unless you want to go bird hunting. Don't get a pistol grip unless it also has a shoulder stock. 12 Gauge or 20 Gauge will both do the trick, but your wife will like shooting the 20 gauge more as it doesn't kick as hard.

For a handgun I would get either a 38 revolver or a Glock 9mm. A revolver is the least complicated to operate and clean, but you'll only have 5 or 6 rounds without reloading. A Glock 9 is legendary in reliability a safety and pretty darn reasonable in price.

For a rifle, that's a little more complicated. Are you interested in hunting large game? If so, you want a caliber larger than 223, which is your typical AR15 caliber. Utah law requires a larger caliber to legally hunt large game. If you have no interest in the deer hunt, then get a rifle in 223. Cheaper ammo and a manageable kick for multiple shooters in your family. If you have left-handed shooters in your family you may consider a lever-action rifle. Those are great guns and simple to operate. They are ambidextrous.

I suggest CAL ranch or Smith and Edwards for purchasing.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Should I go buy them today?

I would not, unless you feel the need for something right now. Reason being, lots of people feel the need for something right now. Supply is low and prices are through the roof. Give it some time.

Part of the problem is panic buying, but another problem is sellers sitting on stock and betting that prices will continue to climb. They did that going into what looked like a Clinton presidency four years ago, and prices went way down after that blew over when they had to dump off their overstock. Biden is going to make a couple half hearted moves to please the Californians, but he knows that he can't make anything real stick and if he tried he'd be giving Congress right back to the Republicans. There's not going to be another assault weapon ban in the near future, and once that becomes apparent the panic buying will settle and prices will come down. That'd be the time to buy IMO.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would not, unless you feel the need for something right now. Reason being, lots of people feel the need for something right now. Supply is low and prices are through the roof. Give it some time.

Part of the problem is panic buying, but another problem is sellers sitting on stock and betting that prices will continue to climb. They did that going into what looked like a Clinton presidency four years ago, and prices went way down after that blew over when they had to dump off their overstock. Biden is going to make a couple half hearted moves to please the Californians, but he knows that he can't make anything real stick and if he tried he'd be giving Congress right back to the Republicans. There's not going to be another assault weapon ban in the near future, and once that becomes apparent the panic buying will settle and prices will come down. That'd be the time to buy IMO.
I wish you were right but I don't think that Biden or the left will back off.
They are calling for all Trump supporters to be labeled domestic terrorists. The FBI is vetting national guard members for duty at the inauguration. They have already disqualified people due to being aligned with "malitia" groups.
I'm pretty well connected in this arena and I don't know of anyone sitting on ammo experting 9mm to go higher than the already insane $1 per round.
Primers to reload are currently unobtainium because all the manufacturers are putting them in their own ammo.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I wish you were right but I don't think that Biden or the left will back off.
They are calling for all Trump supporters to be labeled domestic terrorists. The FBI is vetting national guard members for duty at the inauguration. They have already disqualified people due to being aligned with "malitia" groups.
I'm pretty well connected in this arena and I don't know of anyone sitting on ammo experting 9mm to go higher than the already insane $1 per round.
Primers to reload are currently unobtainium because all the manufacturers are putting them in their own ammo.

Dammit should have held on to mine. I gave a couple thousand small and large primers to my old competition buddies when I gave up on trying to reload since I couldn't find powder

Edit: I just went and looked again and I have 4k small pistol primers (winchester & CCI) and about 1000 9mm lead slugs. Be willing to trade for some 9mm or 5.56

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Dammit should have held on to mine. I gave a couple thousand small and large primers to my old competition buddies when I gave up on trying to reload since I couldn't find powder

Edit: I just went and looked again and I have 4k small pistol primers (winchester & CCI) and about 1000 9mm lead slugs. Be willing to trade for some 9mm or 5.56
Would you sell it? If so I am interested. I have a friend who could load them for me

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The FBI is vetting national guard members for duty at the inauguration. They have already disqualified people due to being aligned with "malitia" groups.

Wait, you mean the National Guard troops assigned to protect the Capitol against another ransacking had to make sure there was nobody who wanted to ransack the Capitol in their ranks? That's weird.

I guess we'll see but I'm pretty sure this is a nothingburger. I have no doubt that the topic of gun control isn't going away, but I think it's the long game to watch for at this point. They'll keep taking an inch everywhere we let them but they just don't have the political capital to take the mile that they want all at once.

I'm just not worried about another AWB any time soon. I'm worried about firearm registries and "mental health"/red flag laws. I'm worried about increased taxes and licenses and fees pushing more gun owners out of the game. I'm worried about overactive States litigating manufacturers into bankruptcy. Biden has flat out said that's his game plan going forward, I see no reason not to take him at his word.

muleskinner

PM sent

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Wait, you mean the National Guard troops assigned to protect the Capitol against another ransacking had to make sure there was nobody who wanted to ransack the Capitol in their ranks? That's weird.

I guess we'll see but I'm pretty sure this is a nothingburger. I have no doubt that the topic of gun control isn't going away, but I think it's the long game to watch for at this point. They'll keep taking an inch everywhere we let them but they just don't have the political capital to take the mile that they want all at once.

I'm just not worried about another AWB any time soon. I'm worried about firearm registries and "mental health"/red flag laws. I'm worried about increased taxes and licenses and fees pushing more gun owners out of the game. I'm worried about overactive States litigating manufacturers into bankruptcy. Biden has flat out said that's his game plan going forward, I see no reason not to take him at his word.
I think the FBI was doing the red flagging your appropriately worried about. You are an enlisted person but get taken off inauguration duty becayou are a registered R or liked too many of trumps post? Who knows what the criteria were.

I'm worried about any new restriction. It will be a mainstay of the Biden administration. He is going to start a civil war I fear. 15 executive orders the first day in office!