Gun Control

Coco

I think anyone in their right mind is stocking (or already has) stocked up. But yes, supply/demand, and often political or any type or big crime event cause price/buying spikes.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Heard there are 6 gun control bills ready to go for the HOR. Two are for mandatory registration of guns and ammo. Should be an interesting time to see how this plays out.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Heard there are 6 gun control bills ready to go for the HOR. Two are for mandatory registration of guns and ammo. Should be an interesting time to see how this plays out.

Well, Exec and Legislative branches are controlled by the Dems at this point. We'll see how it goes. Should be unconstitutional but we'll have to see how the Judicial branch rules? In my amateur legal opinion, they'll need to amend the 2nd amendment for those "sensible" laws to be constitutional?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Well, Exec and Legislative branches are controlled by the Dems at this point. We'll see how it goes. Should be unconstitutional but we'll have to see how the Judicial branch rules? In my amateur legal opinion, they'll need to amend the 2nd amendment for those "sensible" laws to be constitutional?
Remove the filibuster and add three more justices to SCOTUS and the any new gun control legislation becomes constitutional pretty quick. Just saying.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So if you believe all the crap Joe puts on his web site there was a $200 per gun and $200 per magazine privilege tax. If you're talking under 10 rounds I guess you get to pay on everything but your shotgun and maybe your deer rifle. Let's just say I have an AR with only 10 magazines = $2200, throw in a 10/22 with a few 25round magazines = $600, throw in a pistol with a couple magazines = $400, let's just assume that is all I have and I'm in $3000, What record do they have of any of these magazines? they don't have a serial number so why would I pay anything? We're already ignoring marijuana laws why would I pay attention to any of these laws?
What's to keep me from just making a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds?
something like this --> https://lbry.tv/@Deterrence-Dispensed:2/Ivans100DIY30rdAR-15MagazineV10-DeterrenceDispensed:1
or this? https://lbry.tv/@Deterrence-Dispensed:2/MenendezMag:6
this? https://lbry.tv/@Deterrence-Dispensed:2/ExtendezMagv1:0

If I'm illegal already why do I care about any of the laws? print a swift link and go full auto while I'm at it is that what Joe desires?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
These are people drunk with power, Marc. Long term consequences have no meaning to them.

I have no idea WHO the "national review" is or can account to their credibility. However the 5 MILLION NEW gun owners number seems somewhat credible just from a google search? That's 2% of the population as NEW gun owners this year alone? That's an incredible number. Understandable with the "culture" we've seen in 2020.

Same article says over 30% of people have guns and 43% have them in their household. I'd assume this is a "conservative" leaning rag with the last statement of the article?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I have no idea WHO the "national review" is or can account to their credibility. However the 5 MILLION NEW gun owners number seems somewhat credible just from a google search? That's 2% of the population as NEW gun owners this year alone? That's an incredible number. Understandable with the "culture" we've seen in 2020.

Same article says over 30% of people have guns and 43% have them in their household. I'd assume this is a "conservative" leaning rag with the last statement of the article?
NR is old school Conservative. Founded by William F. Buckley back in the 50's. I've been reading them for years, good , solid, reliable news source for those that fall in the "moderate" pool.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Here we go announced as part of the plan for the first 100 days

Guns: After the FBI studies "loopholes" in the gun background check system, Mr. Biden said he would ask Congress to close the "loopholes" and also repeal liability protection for gun manufacturers, which would allow Americans to sue the gun industry if a gun is used in a crime. Biden also said he wants to "restructure" federal agencies that oversee gun laws.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So what does this mean for me? I'm not a criminal. Just average joe. I don't own any guns. I think I'd like a hand gun, rifle, and a shotgun. Should I go buy them today? Should I buy them from a store new or a private party used? I guess I'd like to be off people's radar as much as possible. In a legal way of course (legal by today's standards).
Suppose I went out today and bought them, what do I get? Most common, simple stuff. 9mm, pump action 12ga, no idea on a rifle? What should I expect to pay for this stuff?

xjtony

For the foreseeable future you can expect to pay a premium for most any firearm if you look on the second hand market. The biggest issue though is the run on ammo. This is not anything new, happens every transition of power. At this point its not a shortage or government control causing the issues, its people panic buying everything in sight and gougers trying to pray on those same people. For someone looking to just enter the market I would almost say look for ammo first and then tailor the gun purchases to that. Example- out here I've seen more 20 gauge ammo available than 12 gauge, so maybe a 20 gauge shotgun would be more useful than a 12 gauge. I think that most of the changes coming are probably going to be much less sweeping and slow going than people are expecting. There are loopholes and issues with the BATFE that really could be better defined and wont have a great effect of the common law abiding citizen. I do disagree with allowing manufacturers to be sued for individuals using guns. On that same vane you would have to let people sue car manufactures for people causing accidents, or alcohol manufacturers for drunk drivers.