Gun Enthusiasts - Please Act Now!!!

chadr

I was sent the following by the Utah Shooting Sports Council with the following message.

WE NEED TO GET GOVERNOR HUNTSMAN TO SIGN THE PRO-GUN BILLS PASSED BY THE LEGISLATURE

You know that USSC does not ask you to contact lawmakers unless it is really essential. You also know that YOUR CONTACTS MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!

Thanks to YOUR involvement, we got major pro-gun bills passed by the House and Senate of the Utah Legislature. However, these DO NOT become law unless they are signed by Governor Huntsman.

WE NEED EVERYONE TO TAKE ACTION ONE MORE TIME-

You need to pick up the phone and call the nice people at the Governor's office and ask him to "Please sign the gun bills- HB 357 and SB 78." Please also click on the link below and use the Governor's "contact form" to send him an email with the same message.

Please contact Governor Huntsman TODAY and respectfully urge him to sign SB78 and HB357. The Governor can be reached by phone at 801-538-1000, toll-free at 800-705-2464, or by fax at 801-538-1528. To email Governor Huntsman, please visit http://governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html .

Remember, always be polite and courteous.

I have emailed the governor and also am going to make a call to the office to let him know my views. If you want to keep your 2nd amendment rights, this is the time.

EROK81?

Sell out
Ok...I read both links a couple times and still have no idea what what this changes.

Anyone care to enlighten someone that hates legal jargon? ;)

chadr

Ok...I read both links a couple times and still have no idea what what this changes.

Anyone care to enlighten someone that hates legal jargon? ;)

This is a copy of a letter from the NRA-ILA that is sent out weekly talking about the bills. I received it on March 9th. It summarizes the laws and what they are going to do.

Update on Pending Pro-Gun Bills in Utah!

Please Contact Your State Legislators!

Two pro-gun bills are currently making their way through the legislature.

Last Thursday, the Utah State House of Representatives passed House Bill 357. The bill now heads straight to the Senate floor.

House Bill 357, sponsored by State Representative Steve Sandstrom (R-58), would make it easier for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves without the need to obtain a concealed weapon permit. HB 357 does the following:

· It fixes the clearly unintended aspect of existing law that makes it illegal to carry a concealed firearm in or on a person's residence, property or a business under the person's control without a concealed weapon permit.

· It would clarify and simplify the currently vague and inconsistent law by allowing law-abiding citizens to choose how they carry a firearm (open, concealed, unloaded or loaded) in a vehicle without the need to obtain a permit.

Fifteen states, including Arizona, Colorado, Montana, and Nevada allow the carrying of concealed, loaded firearms for self-protection in vehicles without a concealed weapon permit. An additional nine states, including Idaho and Wyoming, allow loaded firearms to be carried openly for self-protection in vehicles.

Another pro-gun bill, Senate Bill 78, is currently pending action by the House.

SB78 would protect your right to lawfully transport and store firearms in your privately-owned locked motor vehicle while parked in publicly accessible parking lots controlled by your employer or a business you frequent.

Please contact your State Senator TODAY and respectfully urge them to support HB357 when it comes before them. Also, please contact your State Representative and kindly urge them to vote for SB78 when it comes before them for a vote.

Basically, the HB357 is for being able to have a loaded concealed weapon in your car or home without it being in a lock box. Currently, a weapon needs to be either in plain sight or locked up without the weapon loaded.

SB78 allows an employee to have a weapon in their car on an employers parking lot. Previously employers could refuse to let an employee have a firearm in their car on their work premesis. This basically took away their right to have a firearm in their commute to work and back.

Hope this helps. :)

EROK81?

Sell out
Oh yeah that does, thanks.

I really think they need to make a bill that requires people to have a certain number of hours shooting before they can carry any sort of gun. The CCW classes in Utah are a complete joke as well, for that exact reason.

That's just what we need, a bunch of inexperienced idiots with guns in their cars. :)

The Stranger

Stranger Danger

I really think they need to make a bill that requires people to have a certain number of hours shooting before they can carry any sort of gun. The CCW classes in Utah are a complete joke as well, for that exact reason.

That's just what we need, a bunch of inexperienced idiots with guns in their cars. :)

I agree 100%

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
SB78 allows an employee to have a weapon in their car on an employers parking lot. Previously employers could refuse to let an employee have a firearm in their car on their work premesis. This basically took away their right to have a firearm in their commute to work and back.

Hope this helps. :)
I think the employer should have every right to say they don't want people packing guns onto their property. After all, it is their property. I am not an anti-gun person by any means, but trying to pass a law that says anyone who wants to pack gun (or anything for that matter) onto your property can do so, regardless of what you say is a bit overboard.

Last edited:

D94R

The Stranger said:
I agree 100%

Ughh. Did either of you think about what was wrote?

Would you agree that everyone should be required to take a certain number of hours of journalism class before they can write any sort of paper, letter, thread post, email etc etc too???

Wouldn't want a bunch of inexperienced idiots making ignorant posts.

chadr

How do you know when you have had enough certification to be able to carry a gun? Do you have to take a week long training and have thousands of rounds in each gun that you have to be able to carry it. I know that some states require shooting with a trainer, but one afternoon with a trainer still does not make you an expert.

Just my 0.02 cents.

D94R

How do you know when you have had enough certification to be able to carry a gun? Do you have to take a week long training and have thousands of rounds in each gun that you have to be able to carry it. I know that some states require shooting with a trainer, but one afternoon with a trainer still does not make you an expert.

Just my 0.02 cents.

According to the Constitution, I nor you need certification to carry a gun. Has everyone conveniently forgot about the founding document laying our the RIGHTS to each and everyone one of us Citizens? Thus, you also do not need to be an expert either.

chadr

According to the Constitution, I nor you need certification to carry a gun. Has everyone conveniently forgot about the founding document laying our the RIGHTS to each and everyone one of us Citizens? Thus, you also do not need to be an expert either.

My sentiments exactly!!! Thanks D94R

Caleb

:rolleyes: No, we're given the right to bear arms...not conceal weapons. Neither of these bills protect your right to bear arms. Even though I'm very much a gun enthusiast I don't whole heartedly agree with either of these bills. I think an employer has every right to not allow guns on their PRIVATE property...you don't like it, find a new job. I also don't think you should be allowed to conceal any weapon for any reason unless you're licensed. Even if the CCW licensing is a joke in Utah...maybe you should work on correcting that process rather than getting rid of it altogether. I don't want the majority of the nut jobs out there concealing a weapon. To compare it to writing a freaking post or article is asinine. :rolleyes: Yeah, because we all know that those posts that don't agree with you can easily kill you. I've seen enough road rage in my life to know that giving those nut jobs the legal right to have a weapon on their hip while driving would have dire consequences.

EROK81?

Sell out

Would you agree that everyone should be required to take a certain number of hours of journalism class before they can write any sort of paper, letter, thread post, email etc etc too???

Yes, because words are just as dangerous as guns. Great example. :-\

I've taken a CCW class. Some of the people in that class aren't aren't even close to responsible enough to carry a gun. In fact, half of the class had either never handled a gun, let alone shot one.

Edit: Supergper beat me to it.

Just my 0.02 cents.

I would like to see them at least be able to hit a target with the gun they are going to carry.

That's all we need, someone in a dangerous situation emptying a magazine with their eyes closed.:p

Last edited:

Caleb

I would like to see them at least be able to hit a target with the gun they are going to carry.

That's all we need, someone in a dangerous situation emptying a magazine with their eyes closed.:p
Exactly! I don't expect them to have to go down and train at Front Sight, but I do fully expect them to be able to properly handle the gun and be able to hit their target with their gun.

The Stranger

Stranger Danger

I imagine that someone who tried to become a journalist with no sort of schooling in the field would probably be a poor journalist (quality and financially). I would also guess that any sort of decent publication looking to employ a journalist would also like to see some sort of schooling. But guns on the other hand are quite another story. Turns out that guns can be a bit more lethal than books, and every enraged motorist and thug on the road probably should not have them in reach.

Take a class and prove that you are competent enough to carry your firearm down your pants and around in your car. It is simple and cheap. This law does not need to changed.

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
Exactly! I don't expect them to have to go down and train at Front Sight, but I do fully expect them to be able to properly handle the gun and be able to hit their target with their gun.
Yes a pistol competency test with live fire exercises should be a part of the approval process for a permit.

D94R

:rolleyes: No, we're given the right to bear arms...not conceal weapons. Neither of these bills protect your right to bear arms. Even though I'm very much a gun enthusiast I don't whole heartedly agree with either of these bills. I think an employer has every right to not allow guns on their PRIVATE property...you don't like it, find a new job. I also don't think you should be allowed to conceal any weapon for any reason unless you're licensed. Even if the CCW licensing is a joke in Utah...maybe you should work on correcting that process rather than getting rid of it altogether. I don't want the majority of the nut jobs out there concealing a weapon. To compare it to writing a freaking post or article is asinine. :rolleyes: Yeah, because we all know that those posts that don't agree with you can easily kill you. I've seen enough road rage in my life to know that giving those nut jobs the legal right to have a weapon on their hip while driving would have dire consequences.

The Right to Bear Arms does not outline concealed carry or open carry. Concealing an arm is bearing it.

Your whole response is emotional and illogical. You used "majority of nut jobs", "nut jobs", and "dire consequences" all in the same post. Come back with solid evidence of any of your inadequate projection.

Your reading comprehension is understandably lax here as well. The point wasn't that a post on the internet could kill you, it was how would any of you feel if all the sudden you now needed 1000 hours of class work and writing exercises to be able to publicly exercise your 1st Amendment Right?

You'd be in an uproar! You conveniently ,however; apply your lack of logic and thoughts to the ONE amendment with the ability to guarantee your keep your 1st Amendment Right (all of them really) when Government gets too big and decides to strip you of ALL rights. Way to be a conditioned Sheep. Apply your thoughts of restrictions to EVERY Right you enjoy and cherish, and then see if you can understand what you are saying. I doubt it though.

EROK81? said:

That's all we need, someone in a dangerous situation emptying a magazine with their eyes closed.
You guys act like suddenly EVERYONE is going to carry guns now. That's not the case, nor has it ever been. The people who want to carry guns will, and those who don't want to carry guns won't. People who are genuinely interested in carrying a gun for protection take it upon themselves to know how to handle and use said firearms. YOUR reasoning based on lack of logic, and emotion is evident in your second sentence. Hypothetical Projection, that's all it is.

Super-Exactly! I don't expect them to have to go down and train at Front Sight, but I do fully expect them to be able to properly handle the gun and be able to hit their target with their gun.

Stranger-Take a class and prove that you are competent enough to carry your firearm down your pants and around in your car. It is simple and cheap. This law does not need to changed.

Stranger- Yes a pistol competency test with live fire exercises should be a part of the approval process for a permit.

Well well well. If any of you were true Constitution honoring Americans, you would understand why this "law" should never need be in place to begin with, but I digress. Anyone who is not a Felon and 18yrs or older in this State can legally Open Carry anyhow. This requires no paperwork. No class work. No permit. No range time etc etc. I have yet to see or read any where about someone who was OCing being a problem of which you guys so elequently predict. So, one of you LOGICALLY explain to me how suddenly concealing that very weapon makes someone a "nut job" who is going to be in a "dangerous situation emptying a magazine with their eyes closed" that will create "dire consequences."

Oh, I know, it's cause they don't have a permit... right?

Right: that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc (2nd Amendment is Guaranteed by the Bill of Rights)
Permit: Infringement upon any Right in which it's required to do to exercise that Right.

The people who carried before will continue to carry, and those who didn't, won't. You're knee jerk reactions though are comical.