Gun Rooms project

Caleb

This winter (am I really thinking about winter...blah :( ) I'm going to start a new project in my basement. I'm going to be finishing my reloading/man cave room but have decided to add a "vault" area to my plans :). I have a room that all walls, ceiling, floor, etc is concrete, no windows, etc. Since I need to get another rifle safe, I would be spending $3k-$4k on that anyways. Looking at vault doors online, I can get what appears to be a decent vault door for $1.7k-$3k...sweet, money saved! :greg: I need to talk to some local locksmiths and see what someone local can do for me.

Someone tell me if I'm crazy for considering doing this? This room would otherwise not be used for anything other than storage so anything I can do to not store more junk, I'm game for :D Also with 8.5" thick concrete walls, I figure it ought to make that room quite fireproof as well so I could do a document safe in there and have it be pretty safe.

Here's my plans:

GunRoom.png

Anyone else have an over the top man room (particularly gun room is what I'm most interested in). I need ideas for ways to mount/secure the weapons.

rholbrook

My brother has a gun room with a big safe door that is hidden in the wall. It has custom made wall holders for guns. I will see if I can find some pictures.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I assume this area is under the front porch? I wish my house was built with one of these, perfect application for a vault. DAA hit it right on, whatever you do, think about humidity.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've seen this idea a few times. I've always liked it. I've never seen anything about how they hold up to fire or water though.

Caleb

Awesome idea. Why the extra door between the outer door and the reloading room? Looks to me like it'd get in the way a lot.

I've gone back and forth on it. The main reason I was thinking about it is I could lock that door and completely close off that area, but the reloading room door I'd have a lock on as well so it may not be necessary. That door could go and I wouldn't care either way.

May want to consider humidity control in there. Maybe. Depending.

- DAA

Yeah, It's definitely on my list of "to-dos". It is under my front porch and being all concrete it remains a pretty constant temperature but I'm sure I'll need to add humidity control in there.

DAA

I almost bought a house with exactly that setup under the porch and that was one of my main reasons for wanting that house. Turns out, there were other, bigger reasons to not want it, and common sense luckily prevailed (kind of rare, for me...). It was one of the houses too close to the refineries in NSL. Price was almost too good to be true for a brand new home. I decided I really did not want to be literally next door to a refinery though and passed on the deal.

That ended up being one of the houses that got all jacked up when the big explosion happened at the refinery. And we've loved it here in WBC, glad we made that choice.

Sure would have had me a badd ace walk-in gun vault for a few years though :D. I do have about 800 square feet of reloading room here though, so nothing to complain about.

- DAA

ID Bronco

If you get a gun safe and move it can go with you. If you never plan on moving, this would be very cool. I have a room much like this packed with food, and ammo. Maybe I should look into this idea.

Caleb

If you get a gun safe and move it can go with you. If you never plan on moving, this would be very cool. I have a room much like this packed with food, and ammo. Maybe I should look into this idea.

That is a good point, however, I've already got a nice safe, I just need more room.

I know jpest on here has done some vault doors

I knew there was someone on here that was a locksmith, I couldn't remember who though, I'll hit him up. Thanks

rholbrook

Here is what my brother has. Since then he has had a custom bookshelf on hinges built where the safe door is. The previous owner had it built and then my brother had it finished. He bought the house before it was all finished. I am trying to find the completed picture but I cant yet.
82F05FB9-10F7-413A-94D1-F9A50D120AD0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FD3820C2-736F-42B6-BC9E-883A085774C5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Caleb

That's pretty nice Russ. My room is probably that long but not nearly as wide. I imagine having shelves/displays on one side of mine and then having another safe at the end of it. I hope mine turns out that nice.

larrybenny

larrybenny
I also have an under the porch concrete area 6ft x 8ft. When we finished the basement we made the front of it into a normal clothes closet with the safe room door behind the clothes rack. We store guns and valuables there. It also has a inside lock so that the kids can take refuge there in the event of a crisis. I have not noticed any rust or moisture anywhere.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I see lots of Vault rooms in the upper end homes we work on. I would rather have something low key that doesn't draw attention. I would also have a few smaller safes rather than one big safe full of my goods. A guy I went to high school posted a picture of his safe last week, sounds like he lost a lot of cash money. I did some pretty good research on safes and safe doors, Fort Knox were one of the best doors as far as hard to break into if you had the right options, Single thick layer of steal and not a boxed door.

Neil Dansie Safe.jpg