Halls Crossing, UT - Hole In The Rock

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Hole In The Rock
Difficulty: 3.5 / 4
Location: Trail starts 10 miles east of Halls Crossing Marina, Lake Powell, Utah
Distance: Approximately 65 miles, round trip

Description: This trail follows, for the most part, the original trail laid by the Mormon settlers as they attempted to open a route from Escalante to Bluff, a trip they expected to take six weeks but actually took six months. The trail will take you through canyons, on top of plateau's and almost to Lake Powell. You have the option of hiking out to the shore of Lake Powell at the end of the trail, which I've been told is about a 2-3 mile hike, round trip. Terrain is mostly sandstone, with some parts going through sand washes. Lake Canyon, where a natural dam used to exist, is beginning to wash out, possibly limiting future access to the trail.

Cheese Camp and Marble Camp are not listed on my map as I do not know the actual location's. If you have the GPS coordinates, please add them.

GPS Way Points:
  • Trail Head 37° 26'46.21N 110° 33'40.36W
  • Ruins 37° 22'27.29N 110° 36'04.28W
  • New Bypass 37° 22'24.58N 110° 37'07.52W
  • Skull Camp 37° 17'41.57N 110° 41'44.52W
  • The Chute 37° 13'38.39N 110° 47'19.26W
  • End of the Trail 37° 13'04.34N 110° 49'24.74W

Hole in the Rock Trail Map
[map]http://www.rme4x4.com/posts/maps/HoleInTheRock.kmz[/map]

To View trail in Google Earth: Download the attached .KMZ File and Open.

Attachments

Last edited:

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
This trial is one of my favorites in the state. The long drive down to the trail is worth it. I done it 3 times on ATV's with my brothers and I would recommend it to anyone that loves wheeling on sand/sandstone and likes awesome views. At one point of the trail it travels for a couple miles on a plateau which gives you the chance for awesome views of the surrounding terrain.

I've hiked the last couple miles to the lake before. It takes you down to a nice cove in the lake where you can swim and enjoy the water without interruption from passing boats. I recommend good shoes and A LOT of water. The hike has a lot of sand along the way, and is a pretty good climb coming back out, and if its very hot you will want to have a camel back full of water for the hike.

There is a lot of history on this trail and there are various signs explaining the trail. There are also several places where holes were drilled into the sandstone hillside and then they built a wooden rail of sorts to keep the wagons from sliding down into the ravines. With steel covered wagon wheels they had to do something to keep tract on the sandstone trail... Kinda neat.

You can see the "Hole in the Rock" from the end of the jeep trail, it is across the lake. Its a cut in the sandstone cliffs where the trail went up the other side.

If your ever down to Lake Powell with a boat you can get to the other side of the lake and the actual "Hole in the Rock" where wagons were taken through a steep, rugged cut in the sand stone cliffs. Changed a lot and only hikeable today, gives new meaning to extreme 4 wheeling. (especially in a wagon) Again, a good hike and bring good shoes and water. Not as hot cause of the narrow cliffs providing some shade, but still a steep hike. A couple places where you have to do some minor rock climbing, its good to have someone with you in case of an accident.

Again, this trail is AWESOME! On ATV's you can make the trip in and back in one day but its a long day. I'd recommend camping at the end, make it a 2 day trip, its a lot more relaxed.

OldGeezer

More Trail Info

Requirements= I think bone stock would be difficult to impossible-everything else goes.

Trailer parking= yes.

Time of year= spring or fall.

Nearest town= Real town? Blanding or Hanksville. But you can get gas & groceries at the Halls Crossing marina.

I would allow 3 days minimum on the trail for the best pace. Sure, it can be done faster, but it's no fun.

brandon dodge

This might be a dumb question.... but is there a trail that drops down into the Rincon? On Google earth it looks like there is a trail leading up to the east end of the Rincon and it looks like there is a trail of some kind in the Rincon leading all the way down to the lake?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Premium Vendor
This might be a dumb question.... but is there a trail that drops down into the Rincon? On Google earth it looks like there is a trail leading up to the east end of the Rincon and it looks like there is a trail of some kind in the Rincon leading all the way down to the lake?

Yes, there is an absolute trail. However sadly it is and has been legally closed for over 30 years. The NPS could theoretically re-open it and are being pressured by users (did you comment?) as well as the county but as of today the NPS and county do not consider it open for motorized travel.