Ham radio test/on-air meeting at EJS 2018

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
A number of us have expressed interest in testing our ham radios and/or getting a little practice with them. I volunteered to lead such an on-air meeting, but there just won't be much time before we all start leaving for Moab. (Indeed, some of us are already down there.) Mbryson then made a great suggestion: why not hold this event at Safari, in Moab? Sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

My offer of leading the event still stands. I will be glad to do this one evening (or more, if needed), probably at/after 8:00 to give everyone time to return to town and be available to participate. The big question is, which night(s) shall we do this? In my mind, the earlier the better--this way you can be confident about using your radio when you venture out on trail runs during Safari. I will arrive in town late Sunday afternoon, so I could do this that night, or just about any other night through Thursday. (I leave town late Friday afternoon.)

Initially, I suggest we start simple and hold this meeting on a simplex frequency. If anyone also wants to try using a repeater, Moab has one located downtown that we could use. We could do that right after we get done on simplex.

If you want to participate in this activity, reply to this thread. Tell me all of the following:
1) which evenings you will be in town and able to participate
2) which frequency band(s) your radio uses (2m only? 2m and 70cm?)
3) what type of radio you have--mobile or handheld (Listing the exact make/model would be nice, if you could include that)
4) what type of antenna--permanent mount or magnetic mount for mobile radios; stock "rubber duck" or something upgraded for handheld radios

Describing your radio hardware tells me our odds of success with simplex operation. ;)