HAM Radios

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As planning the outfitting of the Pathfinder progresses I keep coming back to communication. I've always used CB's, which are great on the trail, but the times I have been out in the middle of nowhere with people like Kurt and they are pinging relay stations hundreds of miles away with their HAM radios I think, "Yeah, thats cool."
But not only are they cool, they are useful and a very helpful with weather reports and the ability to contact help in an emergency. So I'd like to learn more, if anyone would care to share.
What vehicle mounted equipment should one be looking for? What does one need to obtain a license? And I guess; why should one have a HAM?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Why: You summed it up nicely. Far better communications over greater distances.

License: Study & take the test. The tests are offered by different 'host' groups at different locations across the valley and you can take the practice tests online until you feel you have the material down and pass the test proficiently.

Equipment: There is a vast gradient of available equipment. I took the advice of many and stuck with the big three, Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood and I've actually got some of each. The spectrum of HAM gear is mind boggling, 2 meter, 70 cm, high freq, etc. Really you should start studying for the test before you make any decision about equipment, you'll learn a ton about what you may need or want without making an expensive purchase. Then start shopping and find something that covers your needs and fits your budget. I think 'most' could be forever satisfied with a $200 radio. There are countess online HAM equipment outlets and Communication Products on Redwood in West Jordan carries Icom and Kenwood, Bob has an expansive knowledge of all the units. If your shopping it would be well worth your time to stop in and support the local community.

Links:
http://www.xmission.com/~uarc/ (Utah Amateur Radio Club)
http://www.xmission.com/~uarc/testinfo.html (testing schedule)
http://www.hello-radio.org/
http://www.arrl.org/licensing-preparation-exams
http://www.qrz.com/exams

Last edited:

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
i wrote this in the Noob part 2 thread.

Derek and I are looking into the HAM setup. Odds are we would be the only ones with them in our group, but the advantages of just having one is worth it. When a situation requires outside help like a medical evacuation, communication with the responders is vital when time is limited. Along with a plan to get the person to them. The terrain can make things a challenge. A HAM and a hand held GPS are probably the 2 modern equipment devices I would always have. Even if I know the area I'm in.

rambrush

What Kurt said.

Take a look at the 706mkIIG get a AH-4 tuner a 102" whip push the tune button on the 706 and you are in on that band. Pretty simple.

Would not work on mine because of the metal canopy, went to a Hi-Q 4/160 which is a screwdriver setup and a tad more complicated. But works great

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
What Kurt said.

Take a look at the 706mkIIG get a AH-4 tuner a 102" whip push the tune button on the 706 and you are in on that band. Pretty simple.

Would not work on mine because of the metal canopy, went to a Hi-Q 4/160 which is a screwdriver setup and a tad more complicated. But works great

^ In English please! ;)

Kurt really did sum it up nicely. The online pre-tests are your best friend. IIRC, I took the test twice before passing. The first time I took it I hadn't really studied and I almost passed. I then did the pre-tests online and had no problem passing the second time.

As for equipment, I found what seemed like a decent deal on a Yaesu FT-2800M FM Mobile transeiver 65/25/10/5W on ExpeditionPortal. IIRC, I paid around $150 and it's worked great.. Though, I still need to fully learn it's capabilities.

KF7EXA

plaidfro

QRZ.com has some practice online tests. It is very good material to help you know what you will be getting into for the technician class HAM license. I knew nothing about radios or electronics. I took several practices tests over and over and read some online literature... took the local test and passed.

I purchased a handheld Yaesu FT-60r from ham radio outlet in Denver, CO which has been great for my use. I bought a better antenna from that guy ^ in West Jordan which has made my little handheld have great range in hitting the local repeaters.

I may try to find some type of external antenna mount that I can plug into my handheld in my Jeep.

KD7UPQ

rambrush

The Icom 706 has a tuner control built into it, there is a button on the front lower left to push.
Tune to the hf band of choice push the button and it will tune the 102" whip for that band. BUT you must have bought the AH-4 tuner to mount near the antenna. There is a cable that connects the 706 to the tuner to make it all function and behave.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
So, do we have any new hammers in the group? I know a few of you were studying.

My wife got her license a few months ago along with 5-6 of my inlaws. Me and my kids were in the March edition of the microvolt magazine that UARC puts out.

This comming weekend is field day.