Land Use Alert Hanging Tree & Access

Well, what's done is done Cory. I’ll pass on the beheading part this time. ;)

Herzog, you wanted parking? You now got parking. And it's free or pretty darned close to it.

Curt mentioned the West Campus. Well, tonight I talked with Derek. He's the chief of police for Snow College. So here’s the deal....

As of tonight is anyone going to the Hanging Tree Trail can use the Snow College West Campus parking lot. ON WEEKENDS ONLY. And when there is no shindig going on, like the car show or whatever. The catch is, EVERY vehicle that goes to park there must (1) call Derek and make sure it’s ok, first. (2) Then you must register with the campus security when you get there. They might have you park a certain ay or in a certain location. Those two are the simplest requirements to meet. If anything it’s a show of respect to the school. It’s the least you can do.

There is video, unsure how much is on camera, but your trucks and trailers are safe there. Also, if you tell them you’re staying over night on the trail, and you don’t show up as planned, someone has an idea where you’re at an can call Search and Rescue if needed. A win-win situation.

Now, I said “on weekends only”. Who knows, maybe they’ll let one or two park there during the week and maybe they won’t. The key here is to call Derek first and ask.

Herzog, I hope that helps. As for parking on the ranch property itself, let me work on that, ok? I have a few ideas.
The potential the wst campus has is immense. I can think of a few ideas for your club there. Maybe do a rock crawler show, showing the rock crawlers and jeeps, and maybe do a few community rides. I dunno. The idea is to show the college your gratitude.

Derek Walk, Snow College Chief of Police, (435)340-1311.
That’s his cell phone. If he asks, tell him I gave you his number.

I hope the map I gave you helps you guys. I had to remove a bunch of markers and tracks that are specific for the ranch, so I could release it.
Also, if anyone needs any help or has any questions, feel free to call and ask. 435-299-0498. You can also text me

Coco

I remember back when HTT came about, and the other land owner/old exit when you went right instead of currently left, (IIRC, this was many many years ago) was having issues with wheelers trashing his land, and vandalizing equipment. Hardline90 on here after talking with the land owner offered to have a sign made (that is now in HTT) as help with letting people know that it was private property on top in both directions, and to either come back down the trail, or know the combos to get out, in exchange for continuous use of his land for an exit (he would have the gate combo, and continue letting people know that it is private property on top and respect their land and equipment) the sign was made and handed off to some locals to have it installed. The next time we went up, the sign wasn't up, and the gate combo had changed. It took sometime to get the sign up, but was eventually put up, but was likely too little too late with that land owner on that side.

The only reason I bring that up is we as wheelers (and like many have said) are and need to be respectful of the land and the land owners surrounding HTT. Its a great trail, and I would hate to see access even more restricted when issues like these arise and happen.

Thank you, Carl for doing the leg work to find us wheelers a place to park in town, as well as areas surrounding the trail. I haven't ran the trail in a couple years, but would like to get back down and run it again in the future.

I remember we gave the local and his daughter that has the two cabins south of the main dirt road turn off a ride up the trail one trip to see what it was like, and they had a blast! Carl, if you ever would like a ride up the trail, consider this your invite to tag along.

Ok, you're on Coco. I'd take my truck up there, however while it does have 4x4, it's not an off-roader. Sometime I have to go back up the canyon and see how bad the flashflooding has been (Water! Finally!), there's a headgate that is in a precarious spot. I may see how far my truck can go up the trail. Had two flashfloods in two days, and likely one today.

Yeah, I think heard about that thing about the sign. Long story for another time. But I think I know who you're talking about. If I work with anyone on a set of signs for the trail, they're gonna get put up. I already have plans for at least four signs, have not worked out the text for those yet, probably will work more on that later today.

Afte the storms from the past few days, XL canyon road past the upper gate is gone. At least the part that goes through the creek. Dry Canyon took the brunt of the storm, and when "we know who the guilty party is, but we'll protect his sorry butt" put a culvert in, well....

Attachments

• DSCF4252.JPG
    DSCF4252.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4260.JPG
    DSCF4260.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4293.JPG
    DSCF4293.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4311.JPG
    DSCF4311.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF4318.JPG
    DSCF4318.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 49

Coco

Glad you guys are getting rain finally! I just hope the rest of the state gets some water. Sure is needed! Yes, like Skylinerider said, if you need help, let us know.

Thanks guys, but so far all is good. Camp got wet, and some floodings, but in all it was just a few trickles. Was rather humorous, at least now it is, here it is raining like the dickens, sitting there on my throne trying to take care of "business", and the next thing I know water's going by and I'm ankle deep. Well, anyhow...lol!
At least the water felt good in the heat.

No damage, other than the road which the county fixed pretty quick. Which surprised me. And it surprises me that all they did is wash out the culvert. Even their guys are saying it needs to be an open ford.

I do need to replace the charge controller for my solar panel though. It got wet and started smoking. Now it doesn't work.

You know, I knew there was a catch somewhere, Kevin!
I can get 18+ VDC from the panel going into the charge controller, but maybe 5.6 VDC out of the charge controller. LCD display doesn't work, and when I took it apart I found what was left of a small catalytic capacitor that looks like it blew up. I rearranged the batteries tonight, now to get the charge controller replaced....

There was some mention of a sign. What are you guys thinking? I've been talking with the county about getting some kind of agreement set so people could legally go from the trail where it hits the T at the top of the Left Hand Fork Spring/mudhole, and then over to Horse Mtn. road to Dry Canyon road. Right now it's do-able, but legally not as there is no right of way on the private roads. I think we're talking about 2-3 property owners, SITLA and BLM. The map I attached a few weeks ago, I found it is inaccurate. So gotta re-do that, now.

Coco, you made an offer and I'd like to take you up on it. When are you planning on doing the trail again?

pkrfctr you can PM, call or text me.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Blah blah blah SXS blah blah. . ...

Ya Colten whens yous goings ups hanging tree?:)

Coco, you made an offer and I'd like to take you up on it. When are you planning on doing the trail again?

pkrfctr you can PM, call or text me.

I'd volunteer my CNC plasma table to make some signs if anyone can get an idea on what.