Trip Report Hanging Tree trail... in a flash flood?!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had the pleasure of being invited on a run up Hanging Tree trail by @Vonski and nabbed shotgun in his killer Can Am that is highly modified, has rear steer and sits on 37" BFG Krawlers. Also there was @RockChucker with his family and friends in they're very capable group of TJ's, as well as a Cole in a nicely built LJ and @rockreligious in his rad Kawasaki KRX on 35's and well as Eric in another well built Can Am, sitting on portals and 35's as well.

The trail started out with some obvious damage, we had to bypass a washout right at the start. About half way into the trail, dark skies moved overhead and the thunder started rolling. It wasn't long before it started raining, first lightly and then it opened up and DUMPED.... huge rain drops and hail. All said, it probably lasted 30 min, then we had blue skies again. Not long after, the canyon started filling with water! It turned into a small flash flood, got a bit concerning as we didn't know how much more water was coming. It never got too bad, but the rest of the trail became a proper challenge... mud and wet, slippery rocks meant everyone was battling for traction and not being able to stay on their lines.

At the final obstacle, everyone gave it a valid attempt.... @RockChucker really wanted it and got so close several times, until he got too sideways and started sliding down with the drivers front tire high in the air and the driver rear off the ground too. He quickly found reverse, stomped the throttle and saved it from a certain roll. The UTV's all cruised right up, pretty amazing how well they work. Cole in the Yellow LJ took his shot and ended finding the ledge at the top and blew out the drivers side u-joint. He was pulled up the waterfall and made quick work pulling it apart and pulling the inner shaft so it didn't beat up the stub on the way out.

Coco

I love that trail when there is water running down it, probably did get nerve racking with the flash flood conditions, but I am sure made for a great time!

Excited to hit that trail again soon.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I love that trail when there is water running down it, probably did get nerve racking with the flash flood conditions, but I am sure made for a great time!

Excited to hit that trail again soon.

The sketchy part was the initial flood of water that was easily 12-18" deep... we didn't know if it was going to get deeper at that point!

I'm sure there would have been winch lines ran uphill to trees and vehicles getting dragged up the steep incline to avoid getting washed away.