Hanging Tree Trail; Memorial Day run?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
In last year's trip report, I see only buggies, so I'm a little intimidated. In 2019 a Tacoma on 35" showed up in the pictures, so I assume it got through. So then I think I can do it. My ZJ has front and rear lockers, 35" tires plus winch, rock sliders. I've done 7 rated Moab trails with no problems, and been told I've done rated 8 obstacles at Sand Hollow. I guess I'm wavering a bit. Should I go or not?

The first time I did the trail I was on 33s in a full bodied XJ. It can be done without body damage with careful spotting but the possibility is there. I say come but that is up to you.

Bart

From my experience, longer wheel base rigs have ended up with more body and mechanical damage than shorter rigs. I've only been on it about 10 or 12 times, so others may have had different experiences.

Subarudude54

Watched the Teraflex video, and I'm thinking it would be a long day with me along probably breaking something, lot's of straps and winching. So take some good pictures. I'll wait till I have better equipment and a lot more experience.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Since I got lost on my way to the meeting spot last time (trailhead), this will be better. To confirm, we are meeting at Utah State University (Ephraim), west parking lot at 0830, correct?

I think this weekend is gonna be great up there. But there have been a few changes. I will say that members of RME4x4 have been among the best. We appreciate that, thank you!

1. The property at the main XL Canyon gate is now 100% Tom's. Further up the county road there is another gate, and that is Karl's. His view is the same- stay on the county road. There are no livestock expected on either properties. If a gate is open leave it open. If a gate is closed, close it.

2. The road that goes from Dry Canyon along Dry Creek to the county road is still private only, though people still ignore that. Plans are in the works to block the road off. Please do not use it.

3. No shooting or going off the main road. It's too dry and can start a fire. A few years ago a kid took his ATV off road and even with a spark arresttor it still started a fire.

4. Still no parking at "the wedge". I quit putting signs up because the signs kept getting stolen. There are still 3 T-posts up, though.

5. Do not use the property inside the gate for staging, aka loading or unloading trailers. UNLESS you have made arrangements for parking.

6. If you want to park OR CAMP within the gate, call me. Arrangements can still be made. $5 per vehicle/trailer combo, $2 per trailerless vehicle, camping, tack on another $5 per night. The parking and camping rights will be only for Tom's property, not Karl's.

7. Active or reserve US military no charge (but must still be cleared by me).

8. If you can pack it in you can pack it out. Packing out extra garbage is appreciated.

9. Be nice to everyone. Even the short fat guy with a mohawk. :)

10. My strong suggestion is, even if you end up camping on BLM land, camp out. Spend every waking moment you can to enjoy this country. You only live once. Enjoy it.

Carl