Happy Birthday to.... RME!!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
This month marks my 17th year with this old bitch. It's changed a lot since the early days, but I always find myself coming back, which is more than I can say about any other forum I joined in '03.

Memories that stick out as I reminisce:
  • Emergency night wheeling up corner canyon before it was closed off for final developing
    • Smokincamel blowing his zuk motor
    • Searching through the frozen muck of a large ice/mud bog for Olly's cruiser's ignition key after it slipped out of the ignition
    • SukaB threatening to put @cruiseroutfit in the hospital if he didn't use his winch to free him from the massive boulder that high-centered him... lol, "Brandon, it's a self-recovery device; I'm not stuck so why would I use my winch right now?"
  • Service Projects
    • 5 Mile cleanups.. dragging torched cars out.. piling up RME buggies for photo ops
    • Trail signs out @ 5 Mile
    • Building a gear trailer from the ground up for a scout troop that had theirs stolen; all parts/labor donated by members of RME (this was my fav)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Not sure I could write out all my memories like @SAMI just did. I've been here quite a while after seeing a post on pirate4x4.com/forum for a local forum in UT (. Like everything, it's had it's good and bad moments but it's been mostly good.) A lot of folks on the board are good friends after this long even if they are virtual. We've seen people pass through all phases of life here. Fun to watch young punks marry and have kids. Fun to watch kids grow up and join the board. We've had a lot of folks just fade out and some are permanently not with us any longer. RME is kind of a microcosm of life.

Glad Cody survived the run up Mineral Basin. I remember finding some water from a puddle and just throwing it into his open radiator cap. That motor was HOT! Probably not the best thing to do but we thought we should do something.

We've done a lot of cleanups. Done some trail maint. Had some awesome trips. Excellent campfires. Good skills sharing both in person and on the board.

Most of all, I'm glad people are respectful to each other on here. There's been some arguments over the years but I feel like this is a somewhat "mature" web location. Most of us are mentally between 15-30 years old (our bodies are saying differently) but I like that there is respect shown to everyone here. We still have some fun but don't let the trolling get to bad. We started out as a rock crawling site, morphed into trail riding (motorcycle, full size, sxs) and now are kind of an "outing" type of site. I like the extreme builds as much as the "mild" builds. Ideas can be stolen from any build. :D

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've learned a ton from a lot of people here over the years. From crawling under actual vehicles and buggies (especially at the old RL back in the day) to just watching build threads... I've learned probably most of what I know about anything off-road from the people here.

When I started on here I was just a 20 year old punk that had a lifted XJ and spent too much time on the computer (I blame rural town winters). I loved the build threads and it was my favorite thing to do online for a long time... consume info about various builds. I ended up helping Greg with some theme and server stuff on RME and eventually he approached me to help run the technical side of things here. I've always considered it a way to give back to all the awesome information that flows through here and my goal has been to keep this place up and running efficiently so that future generations of computer dorks like me would maybe find their wrench-head side and learn how to build whatever they set their minds to.

Thanks Greg! :beer:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Most of all, I'm glad people are respectful to each other on here. There's been some arguments over the years but I feel like this is a somewhat "mature" web location. Most of us are mentally between 15-30 years old (our bodies are saying differently) but I like that there is respect shown to everyone here. We still have some fun but don't let the trolling get to bad. We started out as a rock crawling site, morphed into trail riding (motorcycle, full size, sxs) and now are kind of an "outing" type of site. I like the extreme builds as much as the "mild" builds. Ideas can be stolen from any build. :D

Some of us are only 30 still..... :cody:

Crazy, I joined on this exact same day in 2006!!!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've only been here 10 years, but it's been an awesome decade. Most of my real life friends are from RME and I count a bunch of you as my make believe internet friends.
Oddly enough, I bought my first jeep and bought a manifold from Nate who lived down the street from a friend that got me back into riding dirt bikes. Nate told me I should join here and now I ride dirt bikes with RME guys LOL.
I've learned a ton here and it's by far my favorite place to internet. I sincerely hope its around for another 19 years. You did a pretty awesome thing with this site Greg Thanks man! :beer:

gcb17

This thread makes me feel super old. I initially discovered RME back in 2003 when I spontaneously moved to Logan, Utah from Georgia at my first attempt of being a mountain man. I met a few folks and went on a few rides before I moved back in 2004. I eventually moved back out west to Idaho (with a short stint in Utah) from 2010 - 2013. Again, a few rides and a few purchases/sales from the site. It's now 2020 and I'm still on this website every once in a while.

Thanks for keeping it active and relevant!