Which Welder?

• Titanium

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Vulcan

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Kevin B.

Big hippy
How are the duty cycles on those HF welders? I'm currently using a little Weldpak 100 too and I've been flogging it like a rented mule since I picked it up, I didn't even know it HAD a duty cycle until I went to look it up just now. But that's a Lincoln, I assume I would regret treating one of those HF Titanium machines like that?

but when I looked at them I didn't like some aspects

Apart from having all your eggs in one basket and losing them all if the machine goes down, what else did you not like about them?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How are the duty cycles on those HF welders? I'm currently using a little Weldpak 100 too and I've been flogging it like a rented mule since I picked it up, I didn't even know it HAD a duty cycle until I went to look it up just now. But that's a Lincoln, I assume I would regret treating one of those HF Titanium machines like that?

Apart from having all your eggs in one basket and losing them all if the machine goes down, what else did you not like about them?

Duty cycle

120V: 115A / 19.75V / 30% 20.7A input
240V: 200A / 24V / 25% 24.8A input

My response earlier....

I've read a lot of the reviews about the MIGMax 215 and the downside seems to be the fan runs constantly and the low duty cycle. But for a hobby welder, it sounds like a very capable machine. HF really seems to be building quality welders these days, some of the reviews compare the MIGMax to the name brand machines (Lincoln, Miller) and mention that the HF welder has some features the name brand machines don't have. I'm interested in adding a aluminum spool gun, so I can easily weld AL.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
No, I know what the specs say. I'm just curious if they mean it. :rofl:

Do any of the reviews mention hitting the duty cycle? I think of all my welders I've owned and used hard (Lincoln, ESAB, Hobart) I've only hit the point of shutting down for the duty cycle a handful of times.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My Lincoln Power Mig 180C, (not pro mig) has a fan that is constantly on and a duty cycle of 30%. I've never hit it then end of the duty cycle.
Same with my little Lincoln. It starts to weld funky when I'm using it a ton, I'm assuming I'm pushing close to the duty cycle limit? If there is a "limit". :)

Welding beadlock rings onto wheels makes lots of welding happen in a short time.

RockChucker

I've hit the duty cycle on my little 211. it starts to weld a little weird like Carl described his welder and then it shuts off. Give it a few mins to cool down and it is good as gold again. I've only hit it when I've had the heat cranked to weld thicker stuff. For most things I can weld as much as I can handle. I have wondered about these HF machines, and after Greg's luck lately, can they be any worse?

I've noticed that HF coupons are basically worthless these days too...so many restrictions. I'd rather go spend money elsewhere most of the time.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The only experience with a HF welder I have is the little 110 green flux core. I love that little welder. I use it way more than my miller 211 or lincoln just because it is so small and portable. I does everything my old lincoln 140 did. I am a miller guy at heart, but I would not hesitate to buy a HF welder.