Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1978 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser

Engine- original 2F

Transmission- SM420

T-Case- 60's "3 speed" case

Axles- stock axles, Aussie in the rear

Suspension- OME 2.5"

Wheels and Tires- 33x10.50R15 BFG

Known-ish history:
Cruiser has been in Utah it's whole life. It was a "barn" find by some local cruiser dude who got a hold of it and brought it back to life. Not a restore by any means but he cleaned it up and got it road worthy again. Cruiser dudes son did a "soft roll" while on a mountain trail and decided to sell the truck for parts to Kurt (mr cruiser outfitters) Another cruiser dude (Jason i think?) decided it was salvageable and gave it a 3rd chance at life. I bought it from Jason in 2009 and have owned and loved it since then.

I bought the truck with:
-OME suspension. Medium fronts and heavy rear springs. Rides great with the top on loaded with gear. Rides a little rough topless and empty.
-Metal Tech Roll Cage

I've added a few things over the past 5 years. These are mostly in order
-Saginaw Power steering - best upgrade. I didn't mind strong arm steering on pavement but aired down and offroad sucked after a few trips.
-Rear Aussie locker. At first i was concerned about the way my truck drove with this addition. An Aussie locker in a 40 feels a lot different than it did in my 4runner. I made slight adjustments to the way I drove and it was no longer an issue.
-Rear Disc Brakes (front discs were stock in 78)
- Found some matching front doors (when i bought this it only had soft doors)
-lots of dents. (majorly improves aerodynamics)
-Aluminum radiator. I wasn't having heat issues but when my radiator starting leaking i just assumed aluminum was better. Plus it has a built in aux cooler for the Saginaw PS.
-"trollhole" carb (basically a stock carb replica without smog junk)
-"proper" desmog - I mostly just finished the job. When I bought the cruiser most of the parts were missing but I tidied it up and deleted the remaining unnecessary items.
-SM420 tranny with early "3 speed" t case. Roughly 70:1 low range with the same top end speed. I found a used EBI adapter plate for this upgrade. I know some FJ40 folk don't approve of my muncie tranny but it's stronger, same high end speeds, super low end gear, and almost the same overall drivetrain length. What's not to like?
-Rebuilt motor in Oct 2014. Pro Machine in Murray, UT did the machining and assembly based on recommendations from Wasatch Cruisers. They did a complete rebuild including balancing with a lot of OME parts. Basically if it was available from toyota, i bought it from toyota. Everything else was aftermarket parts based on info i found on MUD.

On to the pics. This is the day i bought it.

fj40.jpg

Hardcastle

I'm not very diligent at taking pictures while on trips or during upgrades but here's are a few

Day I bought it
fj40_3.jpg

Adding rear locker and disc brakes
fj40_5.jpg

ultimate air conditioning mode. I think this was in San Rafael Swell
fj40_2.jpg

Hardcastle

Taking out the old motor ~2 months ago
fj40_7.jpg

rebuilt 2F, sm420, and the tcase all dangling from a chain. I had a super beefy cherry picker and it was maxed out with this load. I was REALLY happy when this was sitting in place on the motor mounts.
fj40_8.jpg

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I have always liked your fj40 and is part of why I bought the one I own now. Here is a picture with my old 4runner in AF canyon.

IMG_22542274762990.jpg

Last edited:

Hardcastle

No real updates but i'm still really enjoying my 40. The 2F motor rebuild seems to have been successful and it's running great.

Brandon came over to help me take the top off for summer and i snapped this nerdy pic in the driveway.

IMG_4012.jpg

Hardcastle

Nice Cruiser, any rubbing with the OME 2.5 and the 33's? Looking to go this rout.

Zero rubbing in the rear but fully flexed i rub a little in the front. I've read others don't have rubbing issues with this tire size/spring combo but i do. Maybe it's because my fenders sag a bit or maybe they never take their 40's offroad? Either way it's minor and not a huge concern.

To give more detail I have the heavy rear pack and the medium front pack. This setup works great when the top is on and it's loaded with gear but unloaded it's a little rough. Now that i usually camp with my Tacoma I intend on removing a leaf from the rear but i haven't done it yet.

Hardcastle

Nothing huge to report here other than it's been another great summer in the cruiser. My wife and i now have a kid so i need to figure out a rear bench seat. I'm thinking a fold & tumble Bestop. In the past i've had PRP's and loved those so i may go that route. If anyone has some cool options i'd be interested.

These were out at 5 mile west of Utah Lake.
IMG_4382.JPG
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

somewhere near Powder Mountain:
IMG_5040.JPG