Owners Name & City- Gordon Hardcastle in Ogden, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Engine- stock 3.4 v6 5vz-fe

Transmission-
stock 4 speed auto

T-Case- Stock

Axles- stock with e lock in rear

Suspension- stock with helper spring in rear. Bilstein 5100’s

Wheels and Tires- 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gen 4Runner wheels painted satin black. 235/85R16 BFG AT’s

Other- I bought this truck with the intentions of keeping it bone stock and not altering a thing. Over time I’ve added a little bit to help make my weekend adventures a little nicer but overall it’s still a normal boring Tacoma. I don’t plan on changing much else. I think I have a pretty good balance of 100% streetable grocery getter while still being able to have some fun offroad. These Tacoma's are really capable in stock form.

The nickname “blanco” came from my neighbor/friend. He knows I speak no spanish so just to bug me he speaks Spanish. He referred to it as my “blanco taco” and blanco just sorta stuck.

The Day I bought it
IMG_0165.JPG
Current condition
IMG_1689.jpg

Hardcastle

It's about ~500 lbs and my truck rides perfectly level with it. I may end up upgrading the springs but we'll see. I have a few upgrades planned for the camper but for the most part I just plan on using and enjoying it.

image.jpg

Hardcastle

Very cool truck man.

Thanks. I've liked it a lot.

Been really enjoying my mobile home and tacoma a lot this fall/winter. I ended up buying a Trail-Gear low profile bumper with the weld-on light bar. I know people are pretty opinionated with trail-gear stuff but I really like the way it turned out. Appears to be really good quality.

IMG_3038.jpg

Hardcastle

A few updates to my Tacoma. I ended up needing/wanting a suspension upgrade and finally decided on OME. I did the full kit with new shackles, greasable pins, and went with the heavy 882 coils up front with the standard leafs in the rear. Rides perfectly level when the camper is off. To help with the Four Wheel Camper weight i ended up adding Firestone airbags with the Daystar cradles. I was REALLY hesitant to add airbags but I didn't see a better option if i didn't want to leave the camper on full time. So far the bags have been awesome.

IMG_3613.JPG

Hardcastle

I bought one of those Helton hot shower heat exchangers from Cruiser Outfitters a while back, too. I don't have many pictures but the install is super easy. I plumbed the fittings to the bumper so i don't have to pop the hood when using it. I had visions of me showering naked in the middle of nowhere and some guy thinking he's doing a good deed coming into my camp seeing if i need help when he saw my hood was popped open. At first i just assumed these things would make the cold water a tolerable lukewarm but this thing rocks and gets more than hot enough. I've used it a few times this year and it's super nice to take a shower while camping.

IMG_3708.JPG

Hardcastle

really nice looking truck man. how are you liking the all pro rear bumper? im looking at one for mine.

Thanks. I like the allpro rear bumper a lot. Really well made and in my opinion it's one of the better looking off the shelf options. It needs a rear hitch receiver, though. I've intended on adding one but still haven't gotten around to it. Visibility gets tough with bike hauling duty with only a front receiver.

IMG_3906.JPG

juhcohbee

yeah thats my only concern, they offer that relocation kit for the stock hitch, but i feel like it ruins a bunch of ground clearance..

Hardcastle

yeah thats my only concern, they offer that relocation kit for the stock hitch, but i feel like it ruins a bunch of ground clearance..

It really wouldn't be hard to weld in a receiver behind the licence plate but then you'd also have to remove the plate every time you need it. Seems like there is always a compromise...

Tonkaman

Ha ha I bet you get funny looks with a bike up front and an empty bed.

I love your setup! How do you like the camper? How much does it limit where you decide to explore? Do you feel lots of body roll?

Hardcastle

Ha ha I bet you get funny looks with a bike up front and an empty bed.

I love your setup! How do you like the camper? How much does it limit where you decide to explore? Do you feel lots of body roll?

Yeah i did get some weird looks. I've only done that once and don't plan on it again. That picture was taken right before we loaded the bed up with more bikes.

Thanks for the compliment. I REALLY like the camper and it hasn't limited where I want to go at all. It does limit speed. Obviously the Tacoma isn't a major power house but speed isn't effected too much on the pavement. I have to go a lot slower offroad which took some getting used to. With the heavier springs and air bags body roll is not an issue.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Thanks. I've seen that before and I may go that route once i put the receiver behind the license plate. I wonder what a cop would say if my plate was pointed at the sky while hauling bikes around.

Police would probably say less about your license plate than they would about that bike hauler on the front...:eek:

Hardcastle

Small update but i finally got around to adding the rear receiver hitch to my All-Pro bumper. I think it turned out pretty good. I rarely tow but having the option will be nice,
IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG

Hardcastle

No big updates to report other than i've had a great summer driving this thing all over the place.

This picture was taken in the Sawtooth mountains in ID. I think it was FR-666 headed towards the Hoodoo mine and hot spring.
View attachment 102517

near Bloomington Lake in ID:
View attachment 102526

More nerd camping somewhere in the Uintahs. Maybe Blue Lake
View attachment 102528

I did end up having my flexplate crack. The noise was really loud but intermittent. Sometimes i'd drive it all day and never hear it while other times the noise stayed constant. I continued to drive the truck for about 2 weeks before i replaced it and i'm glad i did because it had almost broke lose. The truck had about 160K miles.