Hardcore thornbirds

ace

Parts Collector
I bought some "hardcore" 29" Thornbirds for my Sami at the swapmeet today . How much stock bumper should I grind off to make them fit. Just cut it off at the round support or what? I'll probably lift it in the spring, but for now...

tom:rolleyes:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
stock bumper needs a lot of shopping...just pull the whole thing off and mount some LEDs behind the front grill....dont need no stinkin bumper!!!

ace

Parts Collector
"Hardcore"

that was supposed to be a joke. Interesting idea about taking off bumper and putting signals in grill. Would that get me a ticket? I've been driving this thing to work. Ive got the tires on and the Zook actually looks alot better.
Yeah, bought them from BigSarge. I felt it was a good deal, and at least a step up from the stock lawn mower wheels. 10" wide rims too. I've been dumping alot of money into my Suburban, and this will be next the next as soon as I figure how to pay for Christmas.

thanks,

tom

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I went over a year without a front bumper on there. You have this crossbar tube looking thing under there that looks like a bumper. there are also a couple of upright braces behind the grill that I just screwed some small LEDs into on mine. they work great and the safety inspection guys think they are cool looking every time!! I also have some nice round LEDs on the back in the tailgate. The stocker bumpers went away a long time ago!!

ace

Parts Collector
Spence,

Thanks for the idea and the picture. I cut the bumper forward some and now the tire hits the bumper mount, so I think I take stock bumper like you said and cut a couple inches off from the cross tube. I pounded the seams down flat inside the back part of the fender tub and that helped some.

Also curious, do you run a swaybar?

Tom

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by ace
Spence,

Thanks for the idea and the picture. I cut the bumper forward some and now the tire hits the bumper mount, so I think I take stock bumper like you said and cut a couple inches off from the cross tube. I pounded the seams down flat inside the back part of the fender tub and that helped some.

Tom

move the lights up, and chop off that crossmember. any flex will put those tires into into that crossmember and chew up your tires. either lift it or set those tires off to the side until you get your stuff squared away!!

tv_larsen

Originally posted by TheBigSgt
Tom, I hope you enjoy the tires! Bill lover them in MOAB.

Hey, I wheeled with Bill when he had those tires on.
fd22301b.jpg

:D It got around pretty good, for a sammy. ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by tv_larsen

Hey, I wheeled with Bill when he had those tires on.
fd22301b.jpg

:D It got around pretty good, for a sammy. ;)

it looks soooooo much better without those silly tube things sticking out....and front license plate....come on law biding citizen, I haven't worn a front license plate on any of my vehicles for a good long time....

I am just joking.....it is a good clean looking zuk, I just prefer mine circumcised....:)

doughboy

Never home enough AGH!
"Thanks for the idea and the picture. I cut the bumper forward some and now the tire hits the bumper mount, so I think I take stock bumper like you said and cut a couple inches off from the cross tube. I pounded the seams down flat inside the back part of the fender tub and that helped some.

Tom"

I do not know about spencurai
but i took off my sway bar a long time ago
with no problem at all:D :D

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Tom, On the Sami they came off of we only had a little bit of shakal lift on it. You could do a spring over on it and they are very inxpensive to do on them. Spence?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I do not know about spencurai
but i took off my sway bar a long time ago
with no problem at all:D :D [/B][/QUOTE]

dump the sway bar. it does not good at all, not even to control sway!! just unbolt it and toss it in the dumpster!! and get on that spring over. :D

ace

Parts Collector
Thanks for all the input. This weekend, I'm going to circumsize the bumper, junk the swaybar, and move the turn signals up. My zookie came with a silly brush guard, and I'll probably leave it on. The spring over is the direction I'm planning to go, and lockrights later on. I do have some longer shackles laying around. Hmmm...Maybe the 14bolt and Dana 60.. nah.