Toyota Has anyone given their 5VZ-FE a valve adjustment?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
We just turned over 170K on the 00 5VZ 4runner the other day and I'm starting to think I'd better make sure my valves are in spec :cool:

Has anyone here ever re-shimmed one? I'm wondering if the timing belt would have to be removed in order to get the cams out to access the shims--my quess is yes :( I've been reading up on it and most people are saying if its not broke don't fix but in my Honda's case doing that wasn't a good idea LOL. What do you think? Any advise? Thanks,

Andrew

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Is the 5VZ-FE an interference engine? The Honda surely is, which is why its a no-no to neglect the valvetrain/timing belt...

I just have questions... no useful information to add...:rolleyes:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I have 170k on my 3.4. I'm due for a timing belt and water pump in another 5k...at the rate I put miles on it, probably 2014! :)

The 3.4 is a NON-interference engine. I've never touched the valves and it still sounds like a sewing machine. I have not seen a scheduled interval for shim/valve adjustment.

I actually ran a full tank through the 4Runner last weekend with a run out to MMSP and then to Park City. It still pulled down 16.3 mpg doing above posted speed limits.

Sorry, I got off topic but I love this Runner!

chans

As long as the oil changes have been kept up on then the valves never needs adjustment. The FSM says to adjust if you hear excessive valve noise.

4biker

The process for adjusting valves on the 5vz-fe is checking the shim clearances and replacing worn or out-of-spec shims. It is non-interference, but super time-expensive. It's not like a Honda that is spring tension with a set screw.

There are some great writeups on yotatech.com and ttora.com (and maybe t4r.com). I was thinking of doing mine for a while, but the time factor I just couldn't manage. I want to say that the cam gears have to be removed, but that may be wrong. I agree with the consensus that it's not worth it, since it's pretty well spec'd from the factory, and the shims are pretty hard-wearing.

Just FYI, I've got 189k on mine now ('97 4Runner).

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the reply's everyone :cool:

My concern was the valves clearance tightening up with the risk of eventually burning one, but searching around I haven't really heard of this ever being a common problem for the 5VZ's... Anyway she runs fine and doesn't make excessive clatter in the top end maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now--thanks again everyone.

Andrew

chans

Thanks for the reply's everyone :cool:

My concern was the valves clearance tightening up with the risk of eventually burning one, but searching around I haven't really heard of this ever being a common problem for the 5VZ's... Anyway she runs fine and doesn't make excessive clatter in the top end maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now--thanks again everyone.

Andrew

I'm not sure how the clearance could tighten up. The adjustable valves with the screw and nut tighten but with yours everything is solid. What happens though is the shim and rocker wear and cause more of a gap. That is why they say to check for excessive noise in the FSM and last time I was at the dealer they said only people who don't change their oil regularly have a problem because they wear faster.