Has anyone tried Topo USA 5.0?

Caleb

Just wondering? It looks pretty sweet, wondering if its worth the $100 (or $50 if I just do Western US)

here is a screenshot:

2_devils-stairs.jpg

and here is a link to their site with more details...
http://www.delorme.com/topousa/default.asp

CJJ92yj

Not sure if it's like the one you posted or not, but my dad got a TOPO map thing like that for Christmas from Cabela's. Mom bought it for him. He said he absolutely loves it. He said he found so many more trails in his area than he thought were there. I would think it would be worth $50 for the Western states, although I'd prolly never pay the $100 for something I wouldn't get full use of.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That is what I use. I bought a toughbook from e-bay and a earthmate GPS and the program. It all cost me about $350-$400. It works great. I have had Version 2 and 3. The nice thing about Version 5 is it lets you create roads on it. There are so many roads we wheel on that are not on the maps that it is nice to be able to put them on. My only complaints, which are really no big deal, are the 3-D rendering doesn't do to well on my laptop (works fine on me desktop). I think this is because my laptop is a P233 so it is not fast enough. Also if you get out into a lot of the West Desert of Utah it shows a lot of roads the don't really exist anymore. I mean they were roads at one time, you can see where the sagebrush dips down for about 8 ft so there must have been a road there but not anymore, I wish there was a way to delete them off of the map. For now I just put an X at both sides. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Medsker

Caleb

mbryson said:
That 3D rendering is way sweet.

yeah, thats what I really like about it. right now I have National Geographic Back Roads Explorer, It has topos of all 50 states, I really like it BUT I like that 3d rendering even more :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've been looking at that for a while and haven't talked myself into it.

They have a blue tooth gps you can use wiht your laptop, palm, or just by itself. If you take it by itself, you can take it back and overlay your tracks onto the map which is kinda cool.

Cody

Caleb

Cody said:
I've been looking at that for a while and haven't talked myself into it.

They have a blue tooth gps you can use wiht your laptop, palm, or just by itself. If you take it by itself, you can take it back and overlay your tracks onto the map which is kinda cool.

Cody

yeah, I plan to get a BT GPS to use with my PPC and Laptop...

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Medsker said:
That is what I use. I bought a toughbook from e-bay and a earthmate GPS and the program. It all cost me about $350-$400. It works great. I have had Version 2 and 3. The nice thing about Version 5 is it lets you create roads on it. There are so many roads we wheel on that are not on the maps that it is nice to be able to put them on. My only complaints, which are really no big deal, are the 3-D rendering doesn't do to well on my laptop (works fine on me desktop). I think this is because my laptop is a P233 so it is not fast enough. Also if you get out into a lot of the West Desert of Utah it shows a lot of roads the don't really exist anymore. I mean they were roads at one time, you can see where the sagebrush dips down for about 8 ft so there must have been a road there but not anymore, I wish there was a way to delete them off of the map. For now I just put an X at both sides. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Medsker
I have the 4.0 and the 5.0 and I love them both... as far as your question about deleting the old stuff... if you upload to Delorime they will erase it for the next issue and plus you can also share your new roads with everyone else and so we all can download the new stuff... that is the kewl feature about the 5.0 that I like the sharing ability!!!
I have the full version on DVD that only cost me $69 due to I'm a registered member of Delorime! Anyone want to buy the old 4.0 from me its for sale!
John

olywrestle

Duct Tape
gijohn40 said:
I have the 4.0 and the 5.0 and I love them both... as far as your question about deleting the old stuff... if you upload to Delorime they will erase it for the next issue and plus you can also share your new roads with everyone else and so we all can download the new stuff... that is the kewl feature about the 5.0 that I like the sharing ability!!!
I have the full version on DVD that only cost me $69 due to I'm a registered member of Delorime! Anyone want to buy the old 4.0 from me its for sale!
John

How much for the old one?