he San Rafael Desert Travel Management Plan Draft Environmental Assessment 30-day formal comment period is 12/13/19-1/13/20.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Bureau of Land Management - Utah
about a month ago
The San Rafael Desert Travel Management Plan Draft Environmental Assessment 30-day formal comment period is 12/13/19-1/13/20. Additional information about the San Rafael Desert Draft Travel Management Plan and Environmental Assessment can be found on ePlanning at https://go.usa.gov/xVg2y.
This is what I have submitted so far. blm_ut_pr_comments@blm.gov
Address to Ann Glubczynski
This is being sent late and under duress because of health but I hope it makes sense.
1. Over 7000 roads have been closed in Utah therefore no more should be closed unless a Class 1 survey has been made by the BLM. We do not need whimsical decisions made by judges, Federal and State agencies like was done on the road to Angles Arch, Paria Canyon, and Cannan Mountain roads.
2. There are no Wilderness or Wilderness Study Areas in the State of Utah if you follow the law. There are too many roads, mines, claims, mineral collecting areas, fences, construction sites, two-track traces Etc. to qualify.
3. Since Public Law 166-9 was passed in an omnibus bill there are too many jurisdictions that overlap like Public, Private, City, County, State, and different Federal agencies so that it is impossible to close roads by large areas of land. Each road needs to be considered separately as noted above in number 1.
4. Native Americans will be forced to walk or ride horseback to complete their ceremonies on Public Land and some of their own reservations. This is another agency that needs to be considered in 3. above.
That is all for now. More to follow as the comment period closes Jan 13, 2020.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
If anyone wonders why trails are being closed this is it. There were no comments to my comment about the San Rafael desert planning. Have we given up???

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is another post I put up that duplicates some info. I know there are a few good people out there and I have worked with them. My problem is that I do not see any new blood or enough activity and people trying.
I wonder why I keep trying???
I have been trying to get four-wheelers and other groups like rock hounds, ATVs, hikers, campers, etc. together for 50 years. I have and had meetings with federal, state, county, and city agencies and also was a member of the Sierra Club and had meetings with SUWA, and Wilderness Society here in Utah. I have found the problem is us.
All of the anti-access people like SUWA, SIERRA CLUB, AND WILDERNESS SOCIETY ETC. exist because they have convinced people throughout the country that we are ruining the country and through donations, they can afford to pay lawyers over $100,000 a year and make a living being the good guys.
We have all volunteers that burn out usually after 5 or 10 years that have to make a living and have families to take care of.
The few groups like BRC and USAALL have internal problems that make them ineffective. They also have a hard time raising money to hire professionals.
Look at the few people that have looked at this post and the post I put up about the San Rafael Swell comment period.
Not enough people care enough or believe we are loosing very many roads, trails, camping, and collecting sites to worry about it.
We have lost 25,000 miles of roads in California and over 7000 miles of roads in Utah and we are going to lose more but not enough people care or believe we have a problem. I remember four-wheeling in California in 1967 and it wasn't anything like it is today. We had the freedom to go just about anywhere.
Bottom line --- Join them on as many things as you can that benefit four-wheeling but remember they are anti-access and are in the business of bad-mouthing and making a living restricting you and your lifestyle.
Note how few have looked at or responded to too the Swell planning and you know the problem.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This shows that good things happen when enough people get involved.
Victory! The California Coastal Commission heard the voices of thousands of OHV enthusiasts when it voted to make no changes to its permit which allows OHV use at the Oceano Dunes SVRA. During its July 11 meeting in San Luis Obispo, the Commission rejected staff recommendations to further restrict motorized recreational access, with the eventual goal of prohibiting OHV and motorized vehicles at Oceano Dunes.

As a result of emails, letters and the many enthusiasts who appeared at the meeting, the Commission voted 8-2 against a prohibition on night riding, additional fencing to restrict OHV use, eliminating unlimited OHV use on holidays, and increased enforcement efforts focused on vehicle use and speed limit. The Commission also voted down a proposal to provide year-round protection to a 300-acre endangered species area, which is currently protected on a seasonal basis, and future closures for the purpose of dust control.

Congratulations and thank you to all who contacted the California Coastal Commission in opposition to its proposal to limit motorized recreational access at Oceano Dunes.

This was from SEMA.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is my final for the Swell comment.
This is being sent late and under duress because of health but I hope it makes sense.
1. Over 7000 roads have been closed in Utah therefore no more should be closed unless a Class 1 survey has been made by the BLM. We do not need whimsical decisions made by judges, Federal and State agencies like was done on the road to Angles Arch, Paria Canyon, and Cannan Mountain roads.
2. There are no Wilderness or Wilderness Study Areas in the State of Utah if you follow the law. There are too many roads, mines, claims, mineral collecting areas, fences, construction sites, two-track traces Etc. to qualify.
3. Since Public Law 166-9 was passed in an omnibus bill there are too many jurisdictions that overlap like Public, Private, City, County, State, and different Federal agencies so that it is impossible to close roads by large areas of land. Each road needs to be considered separately as noted above in number 1.
4. Native Americans will be forced to walk or ride horseback to complete their ceremonies on Public Land and some of their own reservations. This is another agency that needs to be considered in 3. above.

That is all for now. More to follow as the comment period closes Jan 13, 2020.

Added 1/12/2020
It is important to note that SUWA has lied, showing roads that are not roads and saying that RDI's are illegal for instance, to their membership in order to generate letters to BLM and therefore the letters generated by SUWA should be of negligible effect on the planning process.
Maps have been very hard for me and others to follow and since large areas are considered at one time it is very easy to overlook or not list roads/trails/two tracks on maps. I have been putting together a list of all roads and two tracks/mines/recreation roads/recreation mineral collecting sites/mines/etc. Since 2007 but this is something that will take many more years so I want the BLM to use the same documents I have been using to identify these places. The list follows.
All geodetic maps, geodesy.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/
All mines, https://thediggings.com/usa/utah/map
All rock collecting sites on internet like,
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=39.755996543656984,-111.60724149999999&z=7
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=38.734619200605884,-111.92835979999995&z=6
All books like Rockhounding Utah by William A. Kappele, 1996
Utah Gem Trails by Bessie M. Simpson, 1972-1978
Western Gem Hunters Atlas byCy Johnson & Son, 1973-1977
All off-road guide books like:
Off-Road Vehicle Trails by F. A. Barnes 1988
Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells 2008
Utah Byways By Tony Huegel 1996
All maps from the Utah Public Lands Coordinating Office.
If all else fails then choose Alternate D
I am getting tired so this is all for now. I hope you will acknowledge and have a good day.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is what I got.
Mr. Johnston...
We have received your comments (attached letter) on the San Rafael Desert Travel Management Plan. Thank you for your input.
Ann Glubczynski Planning & Environmental Coordinator BLM Green River District
On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 5:17 PM JACK JOHNSTON < j4x4jj@comcast.net> wrote:
Ann Glubczynski, Project Manager, San Rafael Swell TMP This is all I could get done before the 13th. I will call tomorrow to confirm receipt. John A. (Jack) Johnston,- UAR - Public Lands Advocate 4091 W Swensen Farm Dr Riverton, UT 84096 J4x4jj@comcast.net 801-834-4588 Clan Johnston/e in America (C…