Headsets & communication

Joel

Rick B said:
I used to work in 2-way radio. Like most things you get what you pay for. Having duplex capability (talk & listen at the same time like your phone) is essentially having 2 radios in one unit on different frequencies. $1400 for a comercial set is probably about average. Plus there is probably a licensing requirement with the FCC.

Vox capability (voice operated transmit) will always have some delay in the tx. To successfully use it you must learn to loudly vocalize something meaningless before you actually start talking. It will also tx when a loud enough sound is picked up by the microphone. Most people find it somewhat annoying & stop using it.

My sugestion would be to check into the system that NASCAR teams are using. The driver has a tx switch on the steering wheel, and I believe the crew chief has a tx button on his unit clipped to his belt. The microphone and speaker is built into the helmet for the driver. But I'm guessing all but the most financially well off teams will actually be able to afford them.

OK, so we need a Duplex system if we basically want to hold a "Phone call" between each other. Makes sense. I wish every site had decent Cell reception...this could/would be so much easier ;)

I'm thinking that a push to talk for the driver is no big deal, but the spotter might be a different issue if he/she is laying into a rope and can't reach the button :-\

Rabidray

i think what you want

is a full duplex radio,but full duplex is not the hot ticket .....in a hand held full duplex has your xmitter running full time{poor battery charge life}.....

what i think would work better and be cheaper is some sort of vox {voice activated xmit}and half duplex like regular two way radio.......

if you can find an frs{family radio service}radio that come with a headset chances are it will be vox capable.......one person speaks at a time if you both xmit at the same time you wont hear each other......

i have been a ham radio opperator for over ten years.....and am so used too half duplex i tend too use the telphone just like i would any radio.......
when on the phone if both paties are talking your own voice tends too drown out what you hearing in the reciever.......
with a little practice you will get the hang of half duplex conversations.......

kb7qhu

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
We just got our Full Duplex headsets. We have only tried them around the house but seem like they will work great! The headsets work just fine under our helmets as well.
The sets we got are the eartec TD 900 analog units. The set came with Master and Remote radios, 2 headsets, chargers and case. The complete kit was less than $350 delivered in 3 days. The radios have 120 channel combinations so there should not be a problem with multiple teams at the same time.
Eartec also has digital radios for more money. http://www.eartec.com/
Todd

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Todd Adams said:
We just got our Full Duplex headsets. We have only tried them around the house but seem like they will work great! The headsets work just fine under our helmets as well.
The sets we got are the eartec TD 900 analog units. The set came with Master and Remote radios, 2 headsets, chargers and case. The complete kit was less than $350 delivered in 3 days. The radios have 120 channel combinations so there should not be a problem with multiple teams at the same time.
Eartec also has digital radios for more money. http://www.eartec.com/
Todd

:rofl:
I can just picture you and Linda wondering around the house with your helmets on, talking on the radios....The nieghbors that did not already think you were crazy, sure do now....