Helicoil tips?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I need to get our roofing panel trailer fixed asap. My guy replaced the spark plug and completely stripped the threads out of the head on a 13 horse Honda engine. Repair shops are out weeks to even look at it. I can order a new head but nobody can put it in any time soon. One guy told me that he will usually do a helicoil install to fix them up without messing with the head. I ordered a helicoil set but haven't done one before. It looks fairly straight forward, but I figured I'd reach out to see if any of you have any tips. I'm going to attempt it with the head still installed. My main concern at this point is getting out all of the aluminum shavings.

Thanks in advance!

DAA

I've only done it twice. So...

But for chips, I goobered the heck out of the drill bit and tap with grease. Only went a little bit at a time, cleaned the chips off the bit real good, put on more grease, went a little bit more. Like maybe three times just to drill and three more to tap. Rag wrapped around a socket extension and soaked in brake cleaner to clean the threads - until the rag came out clean. Hit the plug hole with a strong vacuum afterward. Then checked the cylinder with a bore scope just to make sure. Were'nt any chips to be seen with the scope either time.

- DAA

xjtony

Just go slow with the tap and make sure you have the helicoil threaded in fully, then brake off the little install tab. The helicoil won't seat if you don't brake that off. I've done hundreds on air force equipment and even one of the knuckles on my 60 has helicoils holding the high steer arm. You should be good to go on your repair.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I`ve done thousands of helicoils at work, sti taps, 180 half thread turn depth below flush. What's the thread and pitch?