Helicopters/drones for filming

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I would like to get into ariel filming a little bit. I have been looking at drones (multiple rotors on 4/6 sides) and helicopters as well. Has anybody tried this kind of stuff? what should I look for? I know heli's can be hard to fly, but the drones look much easier.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My department uses R/C helicopters to take aerial photo's of crime scenes. Pretty cool little copters. I have a few smaller ones. If you have never flown one I would recommend purchasing a coaxial (two main rotors) helicopter first, super easy to fly and allow you to learn easier. Don't jump in and buy a big expensive helicopter at first, because you'll end up with a big expensive pile of parts within 30 sec of your first flight.

On a side note you can buy the new COD black ops 2 care package edition and get a little 4 rotor copter to mess around with :greg:

Also I forgot, I know there is a "drone" already that has a camera built in that you control with an ipad. I don't know the name or model, but i'm sure a quick google search will yield a result.

Last edited:

blznnp

My buddies, girlfriends dad flies a R/C helicopter for a living taking pictures of multi million dollar houses in washington state. He will actually sit at a intersection with some goggles on that give him a real time view of the helicopter and fly all over the place, the FAA doesn't like him to much though since they can't do anything since its just a R/C helicopter, but when the president came up to WA, he was told that he couldn't do any flying that day. Would be cool to get real good at flying and produce a similar film like the one you see in Imax where they are flying through a canyon.

sixstringsteve

If you do end up getting one of those copters, hit me up and we'll throw my GoPro on there. Better yet, we'll plan a trip and use the copter to film it. You provide and fly the copter and I'll provide the GoPro and the film edit. :D

Coco

HMC (Heavy Metal Concepts) uses them when filming the KOH vids. If you look at the latest one, Rise of The East, there is a couple clips where you can see the shadow of the drone/copter on the ground. Always thought that would be a cool way to go.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I heard of a guy that made a business out of shooting video/photos of jobsites. Somehow the FAA found out and shut him down. I'm not sure how the FAA works, but it might be something to look into if you plan on starting a business using these.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Been flying around my little heli but its more for inside than outside. Inferred remote dosent do well outdoors.
Crashed it a bunch of times and the nieghbors Rot had at it when I tried to fly it outside (replaced the rotor) and it still flies great.
Takes pics and video well . A great trainer heli though and still fun as hell, but my it drives my dog crazy .
When I sell some stuff I'll upgrade to the bigger version that I can fly outdoors.

A blade 130x is a great outside bird that is great to learn on and can take some crashes with out to much breakage