Helldorado, Strike Ravine... its getting ugly!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
After the San Juan County Sheriff removed the fences from Strike Ravine and Lower Helldorado a couple of weeks ago, the land-owner put them back up! The fences were removed again (I do not know by who), so she went and hired an attorney. San Juan County is adamant that she can’t close the trails without going through the proper procedures, and she is insisting that she can!

At this point, I am not sure what is going to happen. We will have our attorney inform her attorney that we are going to use Strike Ravine for EJS, but who knows what she will do. The San Juan Sheriff says they will continue to remove any barricades that she installs. My suggestion, at this point, is just to avoid the Strike Ravine and Lower Helldorado trails, it’s just not worth the potential conflicts. We will continue to fight for access, along with San Juan County.

Upper Helldorado, for the time being, is unaffected by all of this, and remains open as of now.

Jeff
RR4W

Caleb

Thanks for the update...and like you mentioned, we need to stay on the SAME side as San Juan Cnty, let the land owner be the enemy...

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
That doesn't really surprise me. I am glad to hear that SJ county Sheriff is supportive of keeping the trails open until they are legally closed.

This kind of reminds me of an issue that my uncle dealt with back in the 70's when he was the Sheriff of San Juan County. The land owner who has the property outside La Sal that the road to Two Mile Creek crosses decided to close & lock the gate during hunting season. So my uncle went out there & cut the lock off & told the landowner that he couldn't block that road. The next day he had to go out again & cut off a new lock, so he arrested the landowner & posted a couple of his reserve deputies at the gate to check licenses & make sure the road stayed open. After the property owner was fined a pretty significant amount of money by the JP he agreed to allow the DOW & Sheriff Dept to set up a checkpoint there every year. As far as I know they still do.

BLH

Maverick said:
Wow, it could get pretty messy in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the update Jeff![/QUOT
I agree, but I also think and know the this might have been avoided.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
BLH said:
I agree, but I also think and know the this might have been avoided.
Yup, if only we would all follow Brent's advice, all the world's problems would have been avoided. :rolleyes:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
why is it we are always referred to as people that destroy stuff? :mad:

But it sounds to me that the trails will be open for EJS. anyone else see it that way?

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
kirk86CJ said:
Doesn't this article just make you feel sorry for the landowner :mad2:
Deseret News Article

sounds like a couple of selfish people. I wonder what sort of logic they use to determine a road being used as destroying the whole area. I For one am a member of the public and will use it frequently, Then they can't say it's not under frequent public use.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
does anyone have a map of how the road runs relative to their property?

These people make it sound like the road is running right next to where they want to build their house. THEY HAVE 160 acres! Build your house elsewhere. Someone should write Desseret news a letter about this subject from our side. Also how can we destroy an existing trail?!?! Building their house is going to do more damage to the environment than keeping the trail open!

Last edited:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
onetuff76 said:
Building their house is going to do more damage to the environment than keeping the trail open!

exactly. heavy equipment(which is what it will take)to build there home will do damage. do they plan to fix/repair all damage done by building there home? will they use an existing road(s) to access there property or are they going to put in a new road?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
James K said:
But it sounds to me that the trails will be open for EJS. anyone else see it that way?

There is a hearing in San Juan County court Friday morning to determine if the trails will be closed for EJS. I'll post the decision as soon as I can...

Jeff

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
James K said:
exactly. heavy equipment(which is what it will take)to build there home will do damage. do they plan to fix/repair all damage done by building there home? will they use an existing road(s) to access there property or are they going to put in a new road?
not to mention running power and phone lines to them, as well as their digging a well and septic tank.

LMAO they'll probably build a new road into their house, and then expect the county to maintain it.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
What selfish pigs these people are!!! This is just like people buying a home on a very busy two lane city street and complaining about the traffic, noise, what have you. Grow up and get a life you damned tree-hugging SUWA pukes!! The roads were there first! FO!!

EZ

Edit: Did everyone see the great article in the current issue of U4's Signpost about the Helldorado Closure by Dirt Squirrel?

Last edited: