help loading pictures

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Okay I finally got a digital camera, so I was trying to load some pictures but I can't get the file small enough. I have a pentax optio camera and my computer is an imac. Even if I put it on the lowest setting on the camera it is still too big. Any ideas? I used both the software that came with the camera and i photo. I promise to post some cool pictures if I can figure it out.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
make sure the image it not a bitmap, they are huge. I use IRfan viewer to resize my images, you can download it for free from their site.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
right click the picture and look at the file type, if you have a bitmap style file it will take more memory. I would convert it to a jpeg style picture

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
right click the file or go to "file> properties", it'll tell you the type of image it is. Bitmaps will be .bmp, or .BMP. They are huge.

I'd say go with that free program. I use Photoshop to resize my junk.. I just learned that you can automate the process so it's like one click, which just rules. But yeah, resize them and then check the size. I usually have to save them at a lower quality, like a 5/10 on Photoshops scale, and I try to save them at 640x480. It's big enough to see, but not huge, so you dont' have to make it super fine or anything.

Good luck!

Caleb

:rofl: all these damn winders users :D

he said he's on an imac, you can either find the pic in finder and when you click on it it will tell you Kind: Jpeg image or Bmp image...or you can find the pic and then hit apple+i and that will also tell you the kind of file...most likely its a Jpeg already, I have yet to see a camera take bmp files...gimme a second and I'll find a program you can use to resize the pics. (iPhoto is not good for anything besides organizing pics :D)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ahhh shoot! Skipped right over that! I feel like this dumbass now:

stupid-guy.jpg

Caleb

sometimes the easiest thig to do is to find pic hosting that lets you link to the pics, www.photobucket.com is a good one thats free and will even give you the URL, the Img tag, and the Html img tag.