help me brainstorm what to get for my next vehicle

sixstringsteve

what about a honda ridgeline? Anyone with any experience with one of these? Is it just a pilot with a bed?

or maybe a supercharged toyota previa...

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I love "what truck for Steve" threads.

I just found out a couple weeks ago that you can get the new double cab Tacomas with the six-speed manual from the FJ, and it's killing me that I don't have one.

The 1st gen Explorer SportTracs have a leaf-spring Ford 8.8 rear and an IFS front (torsion beam, I think). The motor is the venerable 4.0 that's mostly reliable but has timing chain issues similar to the 22RE. I don't know why there aren't more Explorers and SportTracs being used as backcountry platforms - the 1st gen Explorers were horrible, but the 2nd gen is much better.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
This would definitely be an option, if done right. But I'd want to keep it stockish. What size tires do you have?

Had to switch to a computer with a real keyboard I hate typing out on my tablet.

My tires measure out right around 32 at the moment, they are well used Goodyear wranglers. Once they wear out I plan to do a bilstein adjustable shock leveling kit up front. Rear tires have tons of clearance right now, I think leveling the front out only I could probably clear 34's. The biggest hang up is the cross member, it hangs down a ton. I think if I wanted to get creative fabing up something like a bud built would increase ground clearance a ton without sacrificing anything else. As is it will do everything I want to do in it, it rides nice, its reliable, it fits everything I want in it and the 5.0 coyote sounds bad ass and make me feel like I'm in an old muscle car when I put my foot down. My intent with this truck is similar to your goals, if my destination is going to be multi day, involving mostly dirt roads and I want comfort, cruise control and a nice air conditioned ride this is my choice.

I thought I could get by with just owning this but I started missing the little harder stuff. Day trips up to forest lake, mineral basin, slightly harder trails in Moab. This is why I picked up my latest edition. While I could build the F150 to the point of doing all this, I really don't want to. One I have a payment on it still, two I like how it is now, three I don't want to risk the inevitable body damage on my baby, and last but not least its still my DD. That's why I picked up my new 4runner, it is a blast to drive with the 3.4. Haven't had it out on the trail yet as it needs some attention on a few things (waiting for parts to arrive) But between the two it should satisfy my needs and desires.

My only complaint about 1st gen 4runners are the gutless motors, once lifted and modified they suck to drive. This runner has 4.30's and 33's and pulled parleys at 70 in 5th gear most of the time. Problem solved IMO. I know its blasphemous to say, but the only thing I would change on it, would have been to leave it IFS simply for drive ability. Most of my plans in it I could get by with IFS. The solid axle wasn't a deal breaker for me, as I have more confidence in it on the harder stuff, and I feel its near bullet proof with 33's. Once I get the steering repaired I don't think I'll desire the IFS as much but, I just wanted to bring this up as something for you to consider.

Maybe find something that will fit all your gear and get you down the dirt road that is cheap, reliable maybe not very capable. Spend the money you save on initial purchase, and buy what I've seen you say is your dream rig on a 1st gen yota, swap in a 2.7 or 3.4 and use it for the harder stuff which I'm sure you'll eventually desire again like I did. Honestly though I don't see anything working for you but a Tacoma, your a Toyota guy, you won't be happy unless your in one. I loved my second gen stock Tacoma, I loved everything about it but one big important thing..... I didn't fit in it. Lots of people my size deal with it, I couldn't that's why I bought my F150. I think a DC long bed 2nd gen Taco is your ideal rig. Lots of room for people, gear, reliable, very capable in stock form and well for you its a Toyota.

Just my .02 rambled a bit

I know they are expensive and out of budget, but sell your Taco put a chunk of a down payment on it, find yourself a newer one and enjoy it

sixstringsteve

A 1st gen 4runner with the removable top is close enough to a truck for me. If I could find one with CLEAN 3rz or 5uz swap and 31s, I think it'd be great.

I definitely want a manual transmission in my next truck.

STAG

On my grind
I could reccomend a '07+ Chevy Colorado/gmc Canyon, yes the 3.5L I5 wasn't good, but the 3.7L I5 is a great motor.

They have the same drivetrain as my H3.

The he interiors being poorly built is open to interpretation I guess, granted it's no Bentley, Mercedes or Audi, but I'd say it's comparable to yotas.

All that being said, I won't reccomend one, because I fear you'll compare it to Carlos and they just don't compare. You can get them in a manual, or 4L60E auto, reg/ext/crew cab, I5 or 5.3L V8, manual or power windows etc. but it will never be Carlos.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I noticed you mentioned Sportmobile so I'll throw this out there. AWD Astro Van... :eek:

You get a super reliable 4.3L V6 (depending on what style EFI it has--some years were much more reliable than others) and from what I've 'heard' swapping in a 2WD/4WD/4LOW transfer case from an S10 is not a difficult task. The 10 bolt rear end is a turd but they can be swapped out or upgraded. You could adapt things from an old camper like the sink, counter top, fridge, furnace etc and still have room for bikes and/or sleeping platform. I dunno just an idea.

sixstringsteve

Good idea Andrew. I've looked into the astro quite a bit, but the crash text video proved it to be a deal breaker.

[video=youtube;1JukX2VcOYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JukX2VcOYs[/video]

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
You seem to be stuck in 1980's 4runner mode, although that choice goes against pretty much every criteria you set. Reliable. you don't have it and you are already needing a motor swap, not to mention the 20+ year old bushings and chassis. Bed, try all you want there is no "bed" in a 4Runner. Yes you can make due, but it's a compromise. Good Gas mileage. Nope again. I think you are drawn in by the romance of this unicorn of a vehicle, and it's not going to work. I won't try and talk you out of selling your current Taco, but I'd seriously take a good look at what you really want and need, and don't stray from those things when buying your "new" vehicle.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think you're right Curt, thanks for calling that out. I think the biggest appeal to an old 4runner is the price, removable top, and reliablity. I guess the biggest driver for a bed right now is being able to hang bikes out the back of it. With a 1st gen 4runner, i could roll down the rear window and hang bikes out of the tailgate. That being said, I'm fooling myself to think it would work for a trip to Moab, I can't leave the window down that long.

I also like having a truck bed for wet boats, or snowshoes or muddy tents, etc.

I could give up the bed requirement if the vehicle got extremely good MPG (35+ mpg) and still had decent ground clearance for dirt roads, but that's a long shot.

Last edited:

smartass_kid

do the van, i think for 17K you could get a pretty decent one and have room for all the gear you want. your wife will enjoy sleeping in it and plenty of room.

OR check out advance adapters(?) in SLC that does 4WD conversions. i think you could look for a I6 2WD ford van that is clean with low miles, pay them to swap in 4WD and still be able to play around with rest of stuff you'll end up wanting to add.

rholbrook

Power Stroke Van. I am going to shoot a picture of the Bikers Edge van in Kaysville. That thing is so sick. I told them to call me when they want to sell it.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I honestly think a ridgeline comes close to what you want, but you will lose some offroad performance. Probably similar to a Subaru in that aspect.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think that the vehicle you want doesn't exist... I kind of feel like I've been in the same boat, with slightly different requirements.

Here's my honest opinion, narrow your choices down to 5 vehicles. Narrow your requirements down to 5 of the most important points. Then, start test driving those top 5 vehicles and see how they fit into your 5 requirements.... nothing beats seat time when you're thinking about different vehicles. If possible, find friends or buddies that have those vehicles and see if they'll let you borrow it for a day. There will ALWAYS be compromise, you have to decide what you want to have and what you can live without.

I want a mid-sized 4 door truck with a bed big enough to fit 2 dirtbikes and a powerful diesel engine. A good riding suspension would go a long way, sitting on 33-35" tires so it's decently capable for a rough dirt road.