help me brainstorm what to get for my next vehicle

D

Deleted member 12904

I would think a Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 would be great. Thats engine is amazing, can get great fuel economy, the truck size is big but for what your talking your needs are size wouldn't be an issue. Also the aftermarket has tons for the newer coilover strut design so down the road you wouldn't be limited if you wanted to go with a performance coil over or even long travel. Also since Toyotas are gold in this area you could get a nicer IMO chevy vs a newer Tacoma.

193kyle

What about a 1st gen Tundra? I know MPG isn't really any better than a Tacoma but they have way more power and are a lot more comfortable on long drives. I think a 1st gen with a 2-3 inch lift, 285's, sliders and an arb locker in the rear would be a great dual purpose rig!

sixstringsteve

A 1st gen tundra would be great, as long as it was the big 4 door. I think the tacoma has a more comfortable rear seat than the suicide door tundras. I'm not crazy about the way they share the steering rack, suspension, and ball joints with the tacoma, but if I kept it close to stock it should be fine.

193kyle

Or if you're considering a 2wd truck, why not a 2001-04 Tacoma double cab prerunner with the elocker, those can be had pretty cheap. Then build a first gen pickup or a tracker/sidekick for wheeling...

sixstringsteve

I like where you're going with this kyle. If I had a 2wd with an elocker, that would do the trick! Did they ever make a 2 door prerunner with the elocker?

193kyle

I've considered buying one just to keep miles off my current truck, I see them on ksl frequently for around $8k, then you'd have nearly $10k left for whatever else.

sixstringsteve

Grant has a TDI 1st gen pickup and it's super cool. While I love the idea of diesels, I don't feel like it'd be worth it to me.

STAG

On my grind
True, but TDI is about as reliable as it gets, when swapping.
and will get you the closest the the wanted MPG's

that being said, just thought I'd throw it out there :) I won't push it ha

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I find it hilarious that you would say this

In my mind, subarus are like the worst bits of a car and the worst bits of a 4x4 together. It doesn't get the MPG of a sedan, but it doesn't really have the capability of a truck. The ground clearance isn't all that great, and the suspension really isn't meant to handle washboards and rough roads (despite what the marketing dept thinks)

... and then later in the very same post you mention this as a possibility:

Honda CRV

In every way you bagged on a Subaru (economy, capability, clearance, suspension), the CR-V fares even worse.

Honda Ridgeline
- i know nothing about these. I assume they're based off a pilot chassis/drivetrain?

You assume incorrectly: the Ridgeline is based off the Odyssey platform. (If you're curious, the Pilot uses a blend of underpinnings from the Odyssey and Accord platforms.) Furthermore, the underwhelming performance of the Ridgeline's 4WD "system" has been well documented.

I definitely want a manual transmission in my next truck.

Oh, well, that rules out the Ridgeline.

I honestly think a ridgeline comes close to what you want, but you will lose some offroad performance. Probably similar to a Subaru in that aspect.

Actually, the Subaru's AWD system will run circles around Honda's setup. When bolted to a manual transmission, the Subaru uses a full-time AWD that has a default front/rear 50/50 power split. By comparison, the Honda sends all of its power to the nose and waits for wheelspin before it then tries to send some torque to the rear. While this trick can work on flat surfaces, hill climbs often provide too much resistance for the system--meaning you'll just sit there spinning the front tires only.

FYI

sixstringsteve

A 3.4 or 2.7 regarding cab would be good. Everyone with a 3.4 single cab thinks they're worth a fortune since they're so rare.