Help me build a table/workbench?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I acquired some oak(?) in 3x3” that are about 8’ long. Id like to make a table top out of them in 22-24” width and 7’ long. After quite a few google searches and such, I’m not sure how to attach legs to this table top (I’d glue/clamp the wood together to firm a tabletop)

Am I better off with something like this for a base?

F7C67B3B-DA59-455C-BC4B-54D0F4213D7C.jpeg1B9F0A29-721A-45A4-9715-B999991D03E0.jpeg

or build a metal frame?

9AC0D378-B1FF-4F72-B7B8-92EC66517F08.jpeg

Other ideas?

I have a couple of pipe clamps but would need to borrow a few more to glue that large of a tabletop together. I’ve seen people use glue/screws on each board to attach without clamps. Any success there?

Last edited:

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My father in law used all-thread to go all the way through his bench so he didn't have to use clamps. He glued each board and then tightened them up. He made a four inch thick, three foot wide top out of rough cut 2x4's. If you plan on putting a big vice on it I would go metal frame. I think you could make it more sturdy out of metal.

mbryson

Supporting Member
My father in law used all-thread to go all the way through his bench so he didn't have to use clamps. He glued each board and then tightened them up. He made a four inch thick, three foot wide top out of rough cut 2x4's. If you plan on putting a big vice on it I would go metal frame. I think you could make it more sturdy out of metal.

I have thought of the all thread idea along with some big old washers on each end. Good to know that worked for someone. I was actually kicking around drilling through all the wood and inserting 3-4 dowels in addition to other holes with the all thread as well but I could see the dowels creating problems to glue or being stupid overkill (surprised?) for something like this?

I imagine I’ll be in for significant sanding time with the oak. By the time I'm working on this, I should have a compressor and DA available so I'm not super concerned about the sanding. This will be an assembly/workbench for electronics and other fine mechanical things in my recently completed "dungeon" room downstairs. I want to be able to walk around it pretty easily in a 11.5x 12’ room.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Do you want storage under it? What about getting a couple half height file cabinets? What about the unfinished cabinets from the big box store. If you won't need storage I think a welded base is a decent quick and dirty way to get a top off the floor. Look up kitchen tables with welded bases. There are tons of options and you'd likely need way less metal than you are imagining. Thing two squares with a bar in the middle joining them.

If you wanted to drive out here to the west side id be happy to help you glue up the top. With that many pieces you'll probably want to do it in a couple panels initially that you can still fit through a planer to flatten out when dry, then glue the two or three tops together to make one bigger one.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
what is your goal? dining room table, workbench to beat on? or somewhere in between.

Fair question. Something like this. It will get oils/solvents spilled on it at times.

2BCA7F5D-FD8C-4ED3-BDA6-8BDAAD546063.jpegDF40043D-E7F4-48D6-AB11-F38E3A029655.pngADF7C232-5757-4EDA-9D68-981CF495BC80.jpeg

Wooden legs not necessary. Tray below not necessary. Drawers below would be really cool. Thinking bar height for how tall

mbryson

Supporting Member
Do you want storage under it? What about getting a couple half height file cabinets? What about the unfinished cabinets from the big box store. If you won't need storage I think a welded base is a decent quick and dirty way to get a top off the floor. Look up kitchen tables with welded bases. There are tons of options and you'd likely need way less metal than you are imagining. Thing two squares with a bar in the middle joining them.

If you wanted to drive out here to the west side id be happy to help you glue up the top. With that many pieces you'll probably want to do it in a couple panels initially that you can still fit through a planer to flatten out when dry, then glue the two or three tops together to make one bigger one.

If I did want storage underneath, something with smaller but configurable drawers would be awesome. Find/source something like this drawer setup for small parts would be way sweet underneath. I may take you up on the planing.

FD2D8369-0281-429C-A3E7-FDB90C14745C.png

mbryson

Supporting Member

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

mbryson

Supporting Member
It’s got Chinese translated instructions. I would NOT buy as a “workbench” for a garage or similar. To catch some solvents from cleaning or a bit of fine oils, I think it will be ok? It’s kind of a tide me over until I can get something cool put together. image.jpg

Not sure what these “anvil dogs” are used for? image.jpg

They are fancy though. The vise may or may not come in handy? It’s not real stout but could hold things as a third hand or something? Not a “real” vise you could really crank on but may work to hold a stock in place or something similar?

Last edited: