Help me decide my next project.

So I've completed my YJ build.... for now .... and I'm trying to decide what this winter's project will be. Help me decided which one to do first.

Option A: 77 J20, Currently with a Cadilac 500, 14bolt rear, D44 front.

52898454_10157401907417847_5579369985899233280_n.jpg

This build would be pretty simple. Really just full repaint/body work and swap in a 5.3 or 6.0. Originally I wanted to do a 6.0 but they're a LOT more expensive and difficult to find than the 5.3 so now I'm leaning towards the 5.3. .....maybe some new wheels. (I've already swapped in hydroboost brakes, AC and an aluminum radiator with electric fans).

.......I think what I'm really asking for here is validation that it's okay to put the smaller V8 in the truck....he he.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr

Option B: 69 Chevy C30 Dually flatbed, Currently 2wd, 454, 14 Bolt rear.

71740489_10157921635047847_1972738724559060992_n.jpg

I think this one needs a 6BT swapped in to it, full body off restoration, new CM aluminum flat bed and some modern upgrades such as a custom winch bumper, LED light bar, smallish (2"-3") lift, new mirrors, new wheels and some smallish 31" mud terrains. .....Kind of like a new meets old combination. This truck would obviously need more work than the J20. Unfortunately I don't have any better pictures of this thing.

Last edited:
I knew you guys were going to protest me removing the Cadillac motor. It's a HUGE motor.....not very powerful, generates a TON of heat, and sucks fuel like crazy. Also....these dumb trucks only have an 18 gallon fuel tank. ....It does run well though and sounds great so maybe there is some merit to the idea of leaving it in. I just think if I'm going to go through all the effort of restoring the truck, an LS swap isn't all the expensive and would improve the driving characteristics of the truck greatly. The benefits of a 5.3/4L60E would be; over drive, fuel injection, smoother idle and running, better fuel economy, less heat build up.....and it would just look cool. Swapping and LS would be a pretty straight forward

The 500 is so large in fact that the previous owner swapped in a smaller brake booster to clear the valve covers...hence why I converted it to hydro-boost. I drove it over Parley's a couple times this summer, in the warmer temps it has been over heating so that has been a problem.

Looks like you guys confirmed what I was already thinking... I need to tear in to the C30. Thanks for the replies guys!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
J20 with the 5.3, and give me the Caddy 500 to put in my 1954 Olds 98.

But, the C30 with a Cummins would be bad ass. I say keep it 2wd though.

J20 with the 5.3, and give me the Caddy 500 to put in my 1954 Olds 98.

But, the C30 with a Cummins would be bad ass. I say keep it 2wd though.
It's yours. I was going to try to keep the C30 2wd, the only hurdle I'm having is how to get the front end lifted up a little bit. No one makes a lift kit for a 2wd.

Which side is the front diff on on that Jeep? If it's left side, you could drop a complete Escalade 6.2 engine/trans/t-case setup in it.

It is left side so I was leaning that direction. Those 6.2 and 6.0 drivetrains are kind of hard to come by and a lot more expensive so that's why I was leaning to the 5.3. I can buy a whole 5.3 drivetrain with computer etc for $1300.

4x4_Welder

Just a quick look at Craigslist. That one is probably a 6.0

OK! Moving forward.

I picked up a donor truck for the drivetrain. I totally scored and found a donor truck with a 12Valve, P-pump, 215 HP Cummins, manual trans and T-case.

72754537_10157959826192847_2798877127053672448_o.jpg

Not to mention a Bradford Built flatbed! I wish I could use it for the C30 but it's way too short. I'll have to get a brand new one I guess.

First things first I'm going to pull the motor and get it cleaned and painted. What paint do you guys like to use for engines? I think I want a glossy grey color.

Well I have been researching and I'm pretty certain my best bet is going to be to convert it to 4wd. I wanted to keep it 2wd but converting it to 4wd will solve a few problems. Mainly, the front ride height will be a lot easier to raise with leaf springs, also it currently has drum brakes on the front and it's not real easy or cheap to convert it to discs. So....If it works out I will try to use the front axle from the dodge. If not I'm going to be scouring the junk yards for an eighties C30 with a 60 in it. For the most part it looks like the spring/shackle mounts bolt right up with only a little fabrication necessary. It's time to get to work!

boogie_4wheel

I thought the 2wd lift kits for the 73-87 would fit the 67-72 trucks... I just finished a '70 C10 but stock suspension. Fabtech comes to mind.

Second thought; are you opposed to a longer than 8' bed? Thoughts on just sticking the C30 sheetmetal on the Dodge chassis? Too bad the donor isn't a single cab.

So you're looking for a K30 with a Dana 60 front to convert the 2WD? Anxious to see what you come up with

From what I've read you can swap the whole front suspension and axle from the K30 right to the frame of the 2wd C30. The only fabricating you have to do is on the rear shackle mount. I'm going to try to use the front axle from this dodge though since I'm assuming the D60 from a K30 will be hard to find.

I thought the 2wd lift kits for the 73-87 would fit the 67-72 trucks... I just finished a '70 C10 but stock suspension. Fabtech comes to mind.

Second thought; are you opposed to a longer than 8' bed? Thoughts on just sticking the C30 sheetmetal on the Dodge chassis? Too bad the donor isn't a single cab.

I'll have to look in to that lift kit and see. I know the K and the C suspensions were very similar.

....and I thought of doing that too....swapping the body over to the dodge chassis. But I think one of the appeals of this truck to me is the long flatbed. I also have some ideas for that flatbed that really require it to be extended. ....additionally, eventually we will use this truck at my work and a longer flatbed will be really nice to have then.