Help me - Hey body guys!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm making some repairs and adding some sound deadener to the inside of the doors of my Cruiser, and while I have the interior panels off I'd like to re-glue the door skins to the crash bars. The door panels (and hood panel) have separated from the supports, and it allows the panel to move more than I'd like. Most OEMs use 2-part closed-cell urethane foam as far as I can tell.

I have found the foam online for ~$35 and up depending on brand and quantity, but the 2-part foams take a special gun to apply and mix them. The gun is spendy (relative), and I am having a hard time justifying the purchase for such limited use.

A few options:

1 - Pony up, buy the gun and foam and do it my damn self.

2 - Find someone that has the gun that will rent/lend it to me, and buy my own foam.

3 - Find someone that will rent me a gun, and sell me some foam assuming they have it in bulk or something...

4 - Find a body shop that I could just take my Cruiser to with the panels removed, and have them apply it in their own shop.

The door panels are removed, and my windows are out for cleaning of the tracks/regs, so option #4 would be chilly, but it would be the easiest for me obviously...

Thoughts? Insight? Experience? Is there something better than the OEM foam that I could possibly apply without special equipment?

Thank you.:)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
These are some recommended foams:

Here is an example of the application gun: I don't know if these are brand-specific or not.

And required mixing nozzles:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Buy the gun, and be the local resource for the rest of us :)

I imagine option 4 is actually going to cost the most, and would not be done as well as if you did it yourself.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Buy the gun, and be the local resource for the rest of us :)

I imagine option 4 is actually going to cost the most, and would not be done as well as if you did it yourself.
I have a feeling that's most likely what will happen, but I have to think (hope) a legit body shop has a better gun/system than the small ones I linked.

Last edited:

maveric

Crawler Collecter
How original are you trying to keep this? We install door skins often, and usually just use urethane (the stuff they glue windshields in with) to reattach the skin to the impact bar. You can get the urethane at the local parts store and most use a standard caulking gun. Sometimes it helps to use a heat gun to warm the tube up. let it sit for 24 hrs and won't have a problem.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
How original are you trying to keep this? We install door skins often, and usually just use urethane (the stuff they glue windshields in with) to reattach the skin to the impact bar. You can get the urethane at the local parts store and most use a standard caulking gun. Sometimes it helps to use a heat gun to warm the tube up. let it sit for 24 hrs and won't have a problem.
As far as inside the door panels, I couldn't care less about keeping it original on this truck. I have thought about the urethane a bit, as I know it stays fairly flexible, and it's use is messy but relatively simple. It should hold up well too. I'll do some more checking into it. Thanks!